The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:09 am 

This kit is a personal fantasy come to life for me... I'm honestly surprised Trumpeter has thus far ignored what would be a very logical 1/200 subject: the famous and/or infamous USS Indianapolis. But in a way that's OK... Trumpeter could never have pulled off anything close to what Tehnoart has done here.

If you have ever drooled over Fine Art Models... er, models :big_grin: in the past ( http://www.fineartmodels.com/Ships.html ) but don't have $5-15K laying around to spend on a single ship this was your chance to get one for a fraction of the cost... (I say "was" because Tehnoart only put together 12 kits and they are sold out :pout: ).

While I don't know for sure if Tehnoart and Fine Art Models are connected, a comparison of the Tehnoart parts with the Fine Art Indy ( http://www.fineartmodels.com/Indianapolis.html ) shows they are virtually identical. Also, on the Fine Art website, FAM says their ships are put together by some very talented gentlemen in the Former Soviet Union and their famous 1/48 RMS Titanic Model was built in secret in Riga, Latvia... also where Tehnoart is based. Plus, the Tehnoart website says they are connected to a unnamed American company and the Tehnoart Endurance limited edition kit is also identical to the Fine Art Models Endurance so yeah, the connection seems pretty obvious.

Anyway, this means we are dealing with the bits to build a high end, exhaustively researched and highly accurate model of the USS Indianapolis... in other words, as serious as a "serious model" can be.

I'll spare you the history lesson on the actual ship; if you don't know the story of this WW2 Heavy Cruiser you need to put your model stuff on Ebay and go do another hobby :heh: On to the kit...

The hull:

Holy crap that's A LOT of resin! The hull is VERY thick, finely molded and has only a couple minor defects from the casting process. Being used to Trumpeter 1/200 kits I am shocked by how nice it is out of the box... nothing warped or misshapen, hull plating nicely represented and even details like the refueler pipe running down the side of the hull beautifully molded on without looking like it's molded on.

It's worth noting that Tehnoart advertised the hull as being preassembled; I asked to get mine unassembled so I could drill open and thin out the backs of of the hull portholes. It's gonna take a good epoxy to securely attach the hull halves.

The beautiful molding continues with the superstructure pieces:

...as well as the smaller pieces:

... and even keel blocks for a display base or diorama:

As for smaller details and fittings... if it isn't in high quality resin, it's in cast brass:

There is also copious photo-etch, though it's decidedly "old school" compared to the latest offerings from companies like Pontos or Eduard:

The wooden deck (not self-adhesive) is an actual piece of thin plywood; the kit deck top is molded with an inlet so the wooden deck doesn't sit too high:

All the metal maindecks have bronze deckplates to facilitate easy painting and installing the anti-skid decals:

The kit comes with complete decals, rigging materials, ect and a crapton of assorted resin bits :

The AA is in brass/resin and is quite nice, though I think the Veteran bofors are superior so I will probably use those instead of the kit guns:

... and to drive everyone who wants to do a 30's era 1/200 USS Arizona/Pennsylvania crazy, some very nice Curtiss Seagulls:

One problem here... the kit was advertised as coming with 4 Seagulls but I only got enough stuff to make 3. I guess it's time to put Tehnoart's customer service to the test...

All and all it's a beast of a kit... but in a good way! There isn't a scrap of styrene in the whole box and it's really on a whole other level vs a regular production injection molded kit. This is definitely a project that will require a high level/number of well-developed skills and a unnatural patience threshold to pull off well... to be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready for it myself!

As for price... naturally that much resin and brass doesn't come cheap so this was probably one of those "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" kits. Really, It cost as much as two Trumpeter battleships + detail sets (about a $1000 USD). :cry_3:

But what you'll get in the end is something truly "museum quality" as the term should be applied and a rare, NOT mass-produced heirloom of a model that will last long after you've checked out of this world. Hopefully Tehnoart sees fit to release more of these kits in the future. I'm excited to get to work on it!

:wave_1:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:30 pm 

Wow, I really do not want them to produce any WWII RN Cruisers!

'There are 2 kinds of ships, submarines and targets.'

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:42 pm 

Nice kit, I was very happy when my Caldercraft HMS Victory arrived and then wondering if I can put a kit like this calibre together or not. But the skills I'm gaining from my Nichimo 1/200 Yamato will get me there (still on the superstructure and wondering if L'Arsenal will ever release the secondary guns) and its going to be a long build when I start this kit.

I look forward to this build when you decide to tackle this kit but after you finish the Nellie, another great build Jason!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:14 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Amazing! Love the hull plating.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:18 pm 

Hello Channell, I am one of the other 12 owners of the Indy kit from Tehnoart. I can agree with everything you have said in your review. I have built one other Tehnoart kit, the U.S.S. Walke DD-723 and can testify as to the high quality and attention to detail this kit manufacturer has achieved. I jumped at the chance to purchase the Indy when she was first announced and had to beg my dear wife to let me do it. I am a bit ahead of you on my build and as soon as I can figure out how to download the software required to add pictures, I will post them. The hull is finished as far as painting goes, the drive shafts and supports and one screw have been added. I will need to build a proper build stand to support the model as I begin decks and superstructure. I'm still sorting out the sequence I was to build in. I started with the 3 Seagulls and gathered a ton of information on that aircraft on-line and can verify the accuracy of Tehoart.They also gave me parts for 3 aircraft and frankly, that is perfect for me. Two will go on each catapult and one with wings folded back will go on deck, headed for the one opened hanger bay. I thought about placing one halfway inside the hanger bay, but they are too beautiful to not have out in the open. Your mention about the portholes being opened out... I assume you are talking about the ones with the star grid, which the brilliant casting reveals very nicely (take care in painting, not to clog those ports!).... I am tempted to drill out between those grids... am I crazy? Also, the similarity of Tehnoart with that US company is very striking and probably does have common roots. The US company is sold out on the Indy model and I would be curious what kind of value they placed on a completed model in its case! Do you happen to know? I will be watching your posts and do not plan on doing any kind of review of this kit. I will leave that to you sir. I am posting my build on another Forum site, not as a review per say. Best regards to you sir and enjoy the build. I will be here. Dennis.... Bellingham, Washington USA

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:26 pm 

Channell wrote:
While I don't know for sure if Tehnoart and Fine Art Models are connected, a comparison of the Tehnoart parts with the Fine Art Indy ( http://www.fineartmodels.com/Indianapolis.html ) shows they are virtually identical. Also, on the Fine Art website, FAM says their ships are put together by some very talented gentlemen in the Former Soviet Union and their famous 1/48 RMS Titanic Model was built in secret in Riga, Latvia... also where Tehnoart is based. Plus, the Tehnoart website says they are connected to a unnamed American company and the Tehnoart Endurance limited edition kit is also identical to the Fine Art Models Endurance so yeah, the connection seems pretty obvious.

They are definitely related. One error that Tehnoart has carried over from the FAM model to the kit is the use of shields for the quad 40mm Bofors guns. Indy never had those.

dlancast wrote:
Your mention about the portholes being opened out... I assume you are talking about the ones with the star grid, which the brilliant casting reveals very nicely (take care in painting, not to clog those ports!).... I am tempted to drill out between those grids... am I crazy?

The star grids represent stiffening ribs on solid covers which are used to seal the ports in lieu of the glass. You would not want to drill out between the grids.

I also have one of these kits so that accounts for three of them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the tip on the ports. No, I didn't drill them out, but I did take a pin and lightly depressed the areas between the grids where paint had filled in. Makes for a crisper look. Good tip on the quads. Tehnoart probably used the same castings as their destroyer kit. I have completed painting on the hull and have mounted all screws. Am moving on to the anchors and hardware now. Parts are difficult to locate, even with the catalog provided. Just takes care and time. Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:28 pm 

Cool to hear from you Steve and Dennis; it is quite the kit. I haven't started mine yet; I'm still putting along on my Nelson but I will likely get to work on Indy this winter. I actually got a 1/350 Academy Indy too and might do that first as "warm up".

I'm sure the hull portholes were molded with the shields up to facilitate casting the hull; it's gonna take some creative drilling and grinding from inside the hull to open them but I think it's doable.

Question for you guys... did you get 3 or 4 seagulls with your kit?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:54 am 

Looking forward to this one!!!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 pm 

Hi Jason, I only got 3 Seagulls with my kit. I'm not sure where I would put a 4th one. I'm having fun. Forward wood deck is on. 20mm Bofors gun nest is installed. Just placed my first 8" gun in on the forward main deck. Turret moves and guns move. Cannons are solid turned brass. I hate to paint them grey.
I have a question. I heard that the Indy did not have side shields on her 40mm quad (Oreklin?) guns. Kit provides them, but can't find any photos to back that claim up. Anybody know? Tks Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:14 am 

I swear the online ad said it came with 4 seagulls but I guess I got the same as everyone else.

Indy's bofor quads definitely didn't have shields; see the navsource page for pics: http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/035/04035.htm

I plan to swap the tehnoart bofors for the veteran models 1/200 guns as they are better and have the option to be built without shields.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 pm 

I just checked my kit and I've got three SOCs as well. I guess the idea is that two go on the catapults and one in the open hanger, although there are plenty of photos showing her carrying two planes on the catapult, on one side at least if not two. One interesting thing is that my hull halves arrived already glued together by Tehnoart.

I probably won't get around to starting mine for a while, but I am thinking of backdating the model to her May 1944 configuration when she wore the Measure 32D camouflage scheme. I have already built a 1/192 Indianapolis model in her July 1945 configuration and this model configuration is similar enough to that one that it tempts me to do something different.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:18 pm 

Hi Jason, yes, I also found that great archive site and ran a bunch of copies for reference. Pics clearly show no shields on the Bofors. I will check that Veterans site as well. I have been working on two Hawse Reels that go on the aft end of the lower fordeck... they are a bear. Diagrams give height dims for the various reels and locations on the ship. However, the height given for these reels is incorrect and pics of the finished model show different reel fittings. I checked closely and am using what they dictate in instructions. So, lots of fiddling to get the tubes the right length. Beware as you go with this complex kit. Its becoming obvious that the kit is different in some respects to the photos of the finished model and the ones of the model under construction. Where they show brass was used, resin parts are supplied in the kit (cost saving measure probably). Their craftsmen who built these models are masters at the art. My model will not look as good. Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:21 pm 
I just joined the club with a Indy kit acquired on eBay from a seller in Germany. This joins 3 other Tehnoart kits in my collection...the USS Ward, the USS LSM 259 and a turn of the (20th) century harbor picket boat, all in 1/96 scale. Sadly Tehnoart appears to be out of business with website disabled and no response to emails over the last several months.

Best regards,
Joel Labow

Report this post