The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 am 

As I build through the trumpeter 1/350 kit, I have to say that the engineering of this kit is horrible. The superstructure does not want to fit onto the main deck as molded, and nothing in the forward fire control and command tower area fits properly. The molded holes for the mainmast do not even lined up. This is a terribly engineered kit and numerous parts of modifications and surgery have been required to get her to go together. Being anywhere iclose to accurate in some areas is just not possible. Trumpeter really blew it on this one in my opinion, engineering wise. The level of detail however is outstanding.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:34 pm 

Maybe you got a punk molding, as I didn't have any problem with the general fit of the major elements at all. The only minor bug was that the rear stack interfered with the loading booms in their stowed position (and I needed to add rests for the booms) And I need to repaint the lower hull.

Attachments:
Roma small.jpg
Roma small.jpg [ 156.51 KiB | Viewed 6168 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 pm 

I must have gotten a bad molding of it as you suspect then. I had nothing but problems with everything fitting above the main deck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:59 pm 

Anyone have any feedback on my interpretation of the life rafts? I added canvas covers per photos of the Roma, put little bits in the rafts, as the photos suggested stores, then used lead foil, pre-painted in that half and half finish. Its all just best guess at the time. Still don't have the 90mm guns done yet, adding skirts to the mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:50 am 

I'm building mine essentially straight from the box, with the addition of trumpeters photo etched brass detail up set and metal gun barrels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:40 pm 

I picked up the Warship Pictorial on the Roma and with that added a bit more railings and ladder details from some generic photo-etch, but it is otherwise out of the box, with the Trumpeter aftermarket, though not the props (the basic kit props are actually better) and is my first model ship build since a Lindberg Destroyer with a built-it-yourself electric motor (that actually worked for about 30 seconds) in the 1960s.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:43 am 

stevegallacci wrote:
I picked up the Warship Pictorial on the Roma and with that added a bit more railings and ladder details from some generic photo-etch, but it is otherwise out of the box, with the Trumpeter aftermarket, though not the props (the basic kit props are actually better) and is my first model ship build since a Lindberg Destroyer with a built-it-yourself electric motor (that actually worked for about 30 seconds) in the 1960s.

I used the kit props also. The trumpeter aftermarket ones, I used them on the Hood instead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:54 am 

Hello everybody! I've got such a quetsion: don't you know if any company produces resin sets for fire control, binoculars, projectors and other small stuff for Roma/Vittorio Veneto? Like Veteran for IJN and Kriegsmarine ships. May be I can use Kriegsmarine's instead? Wasn't they externally similar?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:09 am 

Hello everybody,

a question regarding the Roma top main turrets and main gun barrels camouflage evolution.

Does anybody knows the colors used and when they have been changed from light grey to dark grey ?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:56 pm 

I'm about to start Littorio soon and I have a quick question. In March 1941, the grey/green camouflage, was the deck the same dark grey as the hull sides? It almost appears that way in this photo:

Or were they a few shades lighter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm 

speedbird wrote:

Or were they a few shades lighter?

Speedbird,

The decks were lead grey, according to Secondo's reply when I asked him the same question before on an earlier page of this thread:

Secondo wrote:
Colours on that drawing are not accurate, only the pattern is. Dark colour is grigio scuro (medium grey) everywhere, light colour is giallo verde, a kind of light green, on the hull, and grigio cinerino chiaro, the standard light grey, on everything above decks. Decks themselves were lead grey.
I have no clue about the closest Tamiya paints, never used them for my RM projects. Same for Eduard's railings, but the second set has only inclined railings so it won't be of much use.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:25 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I read and re-read that post 5 times, so I guess if I go a couple of shades lighter, it'll at least look like I know what I'm talking about!

Thanks for clarifying though. I'm going to look at some more photos and report back before I do anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:23 am 

Hello

This must be useful all colors but light green

http://www.flex-i-file.com/images/produ ... alogue.pdf

And this

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint ... oats.shtml

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:21 pm 

Are there any rigging illustration or diagrams online anywhere for the Roma? My model is now at the rigging stage, and Trumpeter doesn't include any rigging diagrams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:48 am 
Just starting on a 1/700 Littorio and want to get the ID stripes correct. Trumpeter's 1941 kit. Is it correct for the year or does it represent another year? (Some time happens) If it is 41 how wide should the red stripes be in 1/700 scale? I don't trust Trumpeter paint schemes. Any help would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:19 pm 

I'm currently working on a 1/350 Roma and I'm building it like it looked during trials. I don't want anyone to rip me to shreds so I'm wondering if anybody can confirm that all the dark spots on the ship are paint chips, and if so would it be oxide red underneath the grey?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:01 pm 

drdoom1337 wrote:
I'm currently working on a 1/350 Roma and I'm building it like it looked during trials. I don't want anyone to rip me to shreds so I'm wondering if anybody can confirm that all the dark spots on the ship are paint chips, and if so would it be oxide red underneath the grey?

Wouldn't those spots just be from the usual weathering?

Or the effects of the test-firings of her main batteries?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, does anyone here know if Roma was in just plain light grey/grigio cinerino chiaro during her commissioning day on June 14, 1942?

This picture from the Warship Pictorial: Roma book seems to show that is the case, and other photos from late May 1942 during sea trials also show her in light grey. However, I wanted to make sure.

I assume her striped camouflage was begun not long after commissioning since the paint scheme was completed in August, but parts of it may have been started before commissioning.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:37 am 

There was no disruptive camouflage on the ship until after the shakedown cruise.

I'm still not set on building the ship at trials vs disruptive camouflage, I have however encountered an issue. There aren't enough boat cradles included in the WEM PE set and unfortunately, none of my spare PE sets have boat cradles. Is there a cheap PE set that has these, I really don't care what ship it's for as long as it's 1/350 an the lifeboats are of similar size. I could probably make them out of plastic, but I think they might be too fat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:04 am 

Jim Baumann built him Roma to as she was at trials. You can find that here

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:55 pm 

Hello all,

Bon Giorno Secondo!

Please check out my build of Trumpeter's 1/700 Roma at this new thread in the picture post section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next