The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:36 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Not if you're looking to improve on the bridge facing itself. I actually think the kit bridge is pretty good.

But that seems to be exactly what is missing from the Rainbow PE kit. The Round Bridge has a handrail, and another couple of details that are hard to get without PE.

And making curved handrails from straight handrails (from generic packs of PE IJN handrails) is a beach.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:37 pm 

Allow me to recommend FlyHawk set 700096. I use it for the bridge fronts.

Attachments:
FH700096 sm.jpg
FH700096 sm.jpg [ 125.6 KiB | Viewed 2881 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 pm 

Many thanks.

I wonder why that never came up in any searches?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:50 pm 

Hi guys!
So finally, two years after I first asked about Shigure and Samidare here, I have come across fujimi's Shiratsuyu kit and I will start works on this DD of mine soon.

I have chosen to build Samidare as seen in June 1942, right after Midway. My kit is early war Murasame/Yudachi, which luckily has some bonus AA platforms added. So, it seems to me that the only modification that has to be done from 1941 Yudachi to 1942 Samidare is exchanging 40mm guns around #2 funnel for triple 25mm. Did I miss something?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:43 pm 

She had a refit in May, 1942. The TROM is short on detail, but I'd think she would have been fitted with twin 25mm AA at that point.As a general rule, triple 25mm AAs really weren't retrofitted onto the DDs until approaching mid 1943. My two cents.

Love to see some pics at some point of the build.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 am 

Thanks for correction, Dan.
Of course, I will start topic in WIP section when I start.

Almost forgot I wanted to ask about one more thing- I want to display my Samidare anchored, and I would like to know how did a fairlead on Shiratsuyu-class hulls looked like. Are there any photos or plans showing this part of bow?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:49 pm 

Tell me if these help. They are all from the Nihon no Gunkan books. Also, bull nose is typical.

Attachments:
Harusame forecastle plan, 1937, Nihon no Gunkan.jpg
Harusame forecastle plan, 1937, Nihon no Gunkan.jpg [ 193.8 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
Samidare bow, 1937 Nihon no Gunkan v16.jpg
Samidare bow, 1937 Nihon no Gunkan v16.jpg [ 198.75 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
Shiratsuyu bow repair, Sasebo, 1943.jpg
Shiratsuyu bow repair, Sasebo, 1943.jpg [ 193.11 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
Harusame bow reconstruction 1943.jpg
Harusame bow reconstruction 1943.jpg [ 199.87 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
Yamakaze bow damage, 2-41.jpg
Yamakaze bow damage, 2-41.jpg [ 187.77 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
Yudachi forecastle, 1937.jpg
Yudachi forecastle, 1937.jpg [ 193.34 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:39 pm 

Those are perfect, many thanks! Yamakaze's shattered bow sure looks terrifying.

Seems like Fujimi completely neglected this detail. It will be a difficult task to carve this shape in plastic, but I will definitely try to do so :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 am 

I have found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170949923129

For the Fujimi Shiratsuyu-class ships.

But I am not sure if it covers all of the Shiratsuyu-class ships for 1942.

But I have run into a problem in finding a PE set for the Kagerō-class Ships.

I know that Five Star makes one for the Yukikaze which, while technically for a "Late-war" Kagerō-class ship, does have the parts needed for an earlier ships with Three Turrets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Star-1-700 ... SwYGFUr-GM

But... It is missing Masts for the Early-war Kagerō-class ships. Does anyone know if anyone makes PE Masts for the Early-War IJN Kagerō-class DDs?

And, again, I do not know if it contains everything for the ships I currently need.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

So... To discover if I need to take anything else into consideration, Here is a list of the ships for which I need PE:

• Shiratsuyu-class:
— Shiratsuyu *
— Samidare *
— Murasame *
— Harusame *
— Yūdachi *
— Shigure *
— Kawakaze
— Suzukaze

• Kagerō-class:
— Kagerō *
— Amatsukaze
— Yukikaze
— Oyashio *
— Kuroshio *

* Indicates a model I already have that is supposed to be OF that specific ship.

I do have a question about the Kawakaze and Suzukaze.

Fujimi makes a dual kit for the Kawakaze and Yamakaze, and a dual kit for the Suzukaze and Umikaze

I could buy both dual-kits and have spare IJN DDs.... But in the Interest of saving $60 - $80 (the kit, plus the PE for each), would I be able to substitute the Yamakaze for the Suzukaze, or the Umikaze for the Kawakaze?

Also, no one makes an Early-war Yukikaze. I am assuming that I can just substitute a generic Early-war Kagerō-class ship for the Yukikaze. Would that be correct?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 pm 

Let's start with the Shiratsuyus

Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze & Umikaze are all Group 2, with the rounded bridge that is almost identical to the later Asashio/Kagero class. They are essentially identical, particularly for 1941-42. (The Group 1s differ in only having a simpler, squared off version of the same bridge. Otherwise, they are also identical to each other, and the Group 2s.)

Fujimi makes a PE set for the class that is identical for all these ships, but it is nowhere near as comprehensive as the Rainbow set that you link (and which I have.) It's an Uber set. It can be used for all the ships, save for the pieces particular to the Group i bridge. Also, none of these ships will have an AA bandstand in front of the bridge until 1943.

Only Aoshima made a PE set with PE masts for the early war Kageros. It was a limited edition version for Kuroshio. It's now OOP. Frankly, I think one is better off with making brass masts for the early war fit.

Attachments:
11488.jpg
11488.jpg [ 19.46 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:42 am 

Thank you. I did not know that the Shiratsuyus had "groups." I know that even within "groups" the IJN Destroyers could have variations (such as the Fubuki-class Group-1 and Group-2 Destroyers having some ships with a differently arranged forecastle - don't know about the Group-3 Akitsukis, though).

So... The Shiratsuyus had a handrail running around the P/S and forward bulkheads of the Bridge 01 level.

Since the PE sets are all for Group-2 Bridges, are there any sets that contain the Group-1 Bridge details (The Handrails, and what look to be railings for the bridge windows and compass decks)?

As far as the masts for the Kagerō-class ships... I have thought about building them out of brass-rod, or simply styrene rod.

I have finally found a source of styrene "thread" that is smaller than .01" (it gets as small as .005"). It is tricky to work with as any of the typical styrene glues tend to just melt the thread completely.

But I have been looking at these as a possibility for doing Mast Details and Handrails.

When I get the Four USN Benson/Gleaves DDs I am currently working on Finished (and the SF Completed), I plan to switch back over to building some IJN DDs and Cruisers (finishing the Aoba, Kinugasa, and Nagara, along with building 4 - 8 Shiratsuyus and Kagerōs).

I have the PE for three each of the Shiratsuyu and Kagerō classes, and the PE for most of the Nagara (I have a stencil drawn up for a PE set for the Nagara in 1942 that I keep meaning to raise the money to have made).

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:39 pm 

I think I need to clarify my post, Matthew. Having re-read it, it may not have been entirely clear.

The Rainbow set is designed for the square bridge group of ships but, aside from the replacement piece meant for that group's compass bridge deck, the set can be used for both groups of Shiratsuyus. And, upon re-examination, it does NOT have a replacement grab rail for the base of the bridge.

Nor does the Fujimi PE set. While it doesn't correct every issue with the kit (IMHO, the best, and most accurate of the Fujimi 1/700 DDs), the Fujimi set is pretty good for as far as it goes.

Upon examination of the photos of bridges for the group, and other Japanese DD classes, I think it may be misleading to call the single rail a handrail. It's more of a mounting railing for tying down awnings in warm weather. If you look at the two Shiratsuyu class pics below, you'll see that this rail does not protrude as far as the actual handrails on: 1) Yamakaze' turret, & 2) Shiratsuyu's bridge, aft. If you look at the left side of her bridge, you can actually see a short handrail right under the wrap around rail for the awning tie-down, at the corner of the bridge. The hand rail protrudes noticeably further from the bridge siding. The men on deck provide a nice visual reference for size/distance comparisons.

I think I have been as guilty as any in perpetuating the notion that this wrap-around rail protrudes significantly enough in 1/700 to warrant a PE replacement. I'm now thinking it is best left alone on the kit.

Attachments:
Yamakaze #1 turret and bridge 8-1937, SOTW #772, HoJDDs.jpg
Yamakaze #1 turret and bridge 8-1937, SOTW #772, HoJDDs.jpg [ 111.91 KiB | Viewed 2738 times ]
Shiratsuyu damage #3 MS #24.jpg
Shiratsuyu damage #3 MS #24.jpg [ 116.32 KiB | Viewed 2738 times ]

Last edited by Dan K on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:41 am 

Good points.

I suppose that the cast on detail will be sufficient for the bridge.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:48 am 

Awesome pics...thanks for posting them!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:42 pm 

Matthew, I don't have it but this pe set might be useful: 1/700 IJN Destroyer Kagero Class 1941-1945 Perfect Detail-UP Pack from AKA Model

Regards

Berend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:49 am 

Thanks, Berend.

That set is very useful (if a bit expensive).

It does look to be missing a couple of handrail parts for the forward funnel, though (The Five Star, and Ocean Spirit sets have four handrails on each Funnel).

But that is easily remedied with a $5 PE set.

This set is also for the Aoshima, meaning that it is only useful for two or three of my Kagero DDs.

They also make a decent Shiratsuyu set, but those are less tricky to come by.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:29 pm 

Five Star has released a new pe set for Shiratsuyu class for Pitroad W 135.

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/dgnbev ... s8ar6.html

Regards

Berend

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:27 am 

berend wrote:
Five Star has released a new pe set for Shiratsuyu class for Pitroad W 135.

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/dgnbev ... s8ar6.html

Regards

Berend

Thanks for that.... I have two of the Pit-Road Shiratsuyus. Most are Fujimi... Now I regret not having got the Pit-Road versions (The Fujimis were better deals, as they are dual-kits: Two DDs in a box).

I'll get the Pit-Road kits for the last two of the class I don't yet have to try out this PE set.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:20 pm 

Nice looking PE set. Thanks for the heads-up, Berend.

Matthew, I might hold off on that purchase. The forecastles on the P-R units are 3mm too short, though the are otherwise very nice IMHO, the Fujimi units are more accurate. The best DD kit that Fujimi has yet released. (And, you know that I am certainly NOT a shill for Fujimi. Just have to give them credit when credit is due.)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Nice looking PE set. Thanks for the heads-up, Berend.

Matthew, I might hold off on that purchase. The forecastles on the P-R units are 3mm too short, though the are otherwise very nice IMHO, the Fujimi units are more accurate. The best DD kit that Fujimi has yet released. (And, you know that I am certainly NOT a shill for Fujimi. Just have to give them credit when credit is due.)

You are right. All of my remaining Shiratsuyu's are Fujimi, so I will stick with them.

I have found suitable PE for them with the Rainbow sets I have (although with the eventual two to four more kits, which will give me the whole class, I will need four more PE sets).

So... I will be waiting to get the Suzukaze and Umikaze (or Kawakaze and Yamakaze) kits (Fujimi) next month (along with the PE for the rest of the kits).

The only think that bugs me about these kits is that they make you scrape the torpedo rails off the deck, but don't give you a piece of textured deck to go over it (screwing up the non-skid surface where the rails are).

They give you the textured decking for the fore and aft non-skid decking. Why not for the mid-deck?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next