The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:31 am 

Just received my Aoshima Ark Royal and it is light years better than the ancient 1/720 Revell kit.

It's not perfect but Aoshima is getting better all the time. It should be a fun build. Worth waiting 40 years for.

It does not come with photo etch so I assume that is an extra.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:35 am 
Hello:

I picked up the Aoshima HMS Ark Royal and planned on building her as she appeared in April 1940 with Sea Skuas and Swordfish on her deck. I was planning on painting the vertical surfaces with AP507B but was having difficulty with the right color for her flight deck. Would 507B be correct for her deck?

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:31 pm 

Hi
I've read that trumpeter are to release a 1/350 Ark Royal about time, looking forward to its release.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:46 pm 

I have received the Aoshima ARK ROYAL kit and I agree that it is a great improvement over the Revell kit. I noted that the kit does not have a PE fret, but the box side shows an Aoshima PE fret for the ship. I checked with Brandon at Free Time Hobbies and he doesn't have it.

Does anyone know of a supplier for this fret? It is certainly necessary for this kit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:10 pm 

Yes, Hobby Search has it in stock: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10289521

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:57 am 
http://www.edgetech.com/images/ut-news/articles/hydro2004.pdf

Found this on the internet here they located the wreck of Ark Royal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:34 pm 
1/350 scale Ark Royal is finally here!!! 1/350 Merit International HMS Ark Royal Aircraft Carrier Model Kit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 am 

With Merit's 1/350 kit slated for March release, I am curious what modifications would have been carried out on Ark Royal between 1939 and May 1941. Beyond the addition of her port side pom pom mounts and raising the funnel height after her completion, I can not determine any modifications done to the ship herself. The Merit kit is being advertised as 1939 fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:25 pm 

Would someone who has received the Aoshima 1/700 Ark Royal please comment on the accuracy of the this new model's dimensions?

We all know what happened their recent 1/700 Wasp which turned out to be grossly underscale.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:58 pm 

I've just seen the review of the Aosima Ark on this site: looks fine but the Blackburn aircraft are Skuas not Rocs. The Spitfires on Sprue Z do look poor - like the old ones on the postwar carriers, but the ones on the Wasp are far better - just not enough!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:38 pm 

Graham Boak wrote:
I've just seen the review of the Aosima Ark on this site: looks fine but the Blackburn aircraft are Skuas not Rocs. The Spitfires on Sprue Z do look poor - like the old ones on the postwar carriers, but the ones on the Wasp are far better - just not enough!

Thanks for the correction on the aircraft. When I wrote the review they looked to resemble Rocs. I am not as acquainted with Royal Navy ships/aircraft as I am with their American counterparts, so please forgive me. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:47 pm 

No pain, just a minor correction. The Roc was a Skua with a 4-gun turret (ok and a minor change to the wingtips) so confusions are understandable. The Skua was much more widely used. The Roc being a fighter that was slower and shorter-ranged than the Skua made its career very short.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:32 am 

Graham Boak wrote:

It doesn't say on the review about whether the dimensions/scale of the kit is correct.

We all know what happened with Aoshima's 1/733 Wasp and Tamiya's 1/719 Yorktown class CVs. :Mad_5:

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:04 pm 

Hi all.

I have just preordered my copy of the Merit 1:350 Ark Royal and was hoping some of you may be able to point me in the direction of some good reference material

Thanks

J

1/600 Airfix Fearless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:00 pm 

Ok time to bring this thread to the top and get it going with the release of the new 1/350 kit.

Got some questions. I notice many older models paint the flight deck in a drab green colour. Is this correct? I have doubts about it and would suspect the flight deck would likely have been painted in a dark admiralty grey.

Second question the carley floats on the side many models depict them in a shade of yellow. This colour flies in the face of keeping the floats the same colour as the ship.

Obviously modelling the ship to a specific period will be hard given the producers have selected 1939. There may be changes in 1941 for Bismarck action.

It appears the colours of the ship may have originally been the light admiralty grey 507C, with the dark hull light upper works being 507B and 507C and then the medium grey being 507B.

What reference material is good to seek out for modelling and painting this ship.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:19 am 

Ark Royal's flight deck would have been Bronze-Grey (you won't find it in Colourcoats - John had not heard of it)

Attachments:
AP 631 Bronze Grey.JPG
AP 631 Bronze Grey.JPG [ 153.28 KiB | Viewed 4299 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Colourcoats is going to need that sharpish.

Edit: I intend to make some up to that formula and see what we get. All of that is easy to get hold of.

Can anyone help me with the Ochre Pattern 52a though? It's the dominant component and ochre can be anything from red to yellow which will make a huge difference. Anyone know where I can get more information of the Pattern 52a part?

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:42 pm 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
Colourcoats is going to need that sharpish.

Edit: I intend to make some up to that formula and see what we get. All of that is easy to get hold of.

Can anyone help me with the Ochre Pattern 52a though? It's the dominant component and ochre can be anything from red to yellow which will make a huge difference. Anyone know where I can get more information of the Pattern 52a part?

I agree, I am lucky enough to still have a supply of colourcoats in Australia to get me by. Hoping that some day they will be supplied back out here. If the paint has a code then it is easy to make up.

Example I once went to my local hardware store to have tins made up of paints to the Australian Standard of storm grey and pewter which were used on RAN ships I served on. I had to get 1 litre tins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:58 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Re. Australia - there are developments in that direction, which will also supply NZ based customers.

As above - any steer or documentation to elaborate on Ochre Pattern 52a would be greatly appreciated.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:12 am 

Pattern 52A Ochre was described as "Ochre Yellow English" in the 1931/32 Authorised List of Naval Stores (The Rate Book).

Please note however that the formula specified for Bronze-Grey in the 1937 Rate Book listing (see below) subsequent to the 1934 AFO I posted previously is modified to Pattern 52P "Ochre Yellow". Looking at the mixes specified for other paints then, it looks as if 52P replaced 52A across the board.

Attachment:
AP 631 Bronze-Grey.jpg
AP 631 Bronze-Grey.jpg [ 146.85 KiB | Viewed 3431 times ]

Either way I think we can safely assume that it was a yellow ochre and yellow ochre is I think a standard pigment still available today from artists stores. What you get following the mix would I guess be a dirty sea green sort of colour and would perhaps explain the green on older models Sutho refers to.

Early in WW2 (AFO 2859 of 28/9/39) the RN authorised a commercial non-slip deck paint in lieu of AP631. This was available in dark grey, light grey, Home Fleet Grey, bronze-grey and black.

I think it is fair to assume that carriers carried on using bronze-grey otherwise why would the Admiralty have made it available in the new non-slip deck paint?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next