The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 pm 

Beautiful...Mark you captured the look of Pennsylvania's mast as indeed a photo would. Love these updates!

Got "bob's" site to come up...seems I had a XP redirect malware problem...all good after a reload..... What scale of his buckles are you working with...the 1/48?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:40 pm 

Hi Mark:

Thanks for stopping and checking out the progress. I am using his 1/32nd scale eyelets and 2.5mm tubes. I think the 2.5 are a little long, but they are what I have. They will work fine in 1/350 scale as well as evidenced on my Saratoga. viewtopic.php?f=59&t=18158&start=4440 My next order I am going to get the 2mm tubes. I couldn't imagine trying to rig without these handy items.

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 pm 

ArizonaBB39 wrote:
Excellent work! I never noticed how different the main mast was from the Arizona's. I always assumed they were the same. :

Thanks Abram: They are quite a bit different, more differences than similarities. Stay tuned for more modeling excitement. I will be moving on to other areas. The main gun turrets are different as well. Always something. Best wishes to you on your build as well.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:05 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Very nice work. Love what you did with the main mast and how you both figured out and solved the differences in the tripod legs. Looking forward to seeing more. I have a 1/700 Midship Models 1941 Pennsy in the stash. I already have Steve's 1/700 forward superstructure, and will get the funnel and cranes eventually. Your conversion will be a handy reference when and if I ever get around to building the model.

Hi Martin:

Thanks for your comments and checking out the progress. It would be interesting to see how the 1/700 1941 midship model compares with reality. If they did their homework it would be a neat model.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:14 pm 

Mark,
It's coming along nicely! I'm hoping to get back behind my workbench once things settle down around here..
Randy

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:45 am 

Hi Randy:

Thanks for checking out the "progress" little that it is. Hope things work out for you and that you can be back at the bench and normalcy soon.
Take care

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:30 pm 

Mark wrote:
Quote:
...rigged the supports using the MODELKASTEN .03MM Flexible line available from "Sprue Brothers."

So, how does this product compare with EZ Line? I'm interested, esp. because EZ Line stretches and it's sort of difficult to work with when it does that. Is this also a plastic product or perhaps metal?

As for the last group of pix - GREAT WORK!!! That really looks fantiastic. I've been doing a bit of work on my FC Main Top mixed in with grinding the NJ hull this week. As my PENNSY will be a bit different in time frame, the main mast is thus configured a bit different in the radio mast antenna at the top and the associated wiring and cables. Your searchlights look awesome, as well!!! :thumbs_up_1:

I've been doing a bit of work on the CAD file early in the a.m. as I can find some spare time. When I get your templates for the platforms, it will really help me finish this up.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:28 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
Mark wrote:
Quote:
...rigged the supports using the MODELKASTEN .03MM Flexible line available from "Sprue Brothers."

So, how does this product compare with EZ Line? I'm interested, esp. because EZ Line stretches and it's sort of difficult to work with when it does that. Is this also a plastic product or perhaps metal?

I like it. It is similar to EZ line, but it is round and isn't quite as "fiddly" as EZ line, if you know what I mean. It does stretch which is what I like about it.

As for the last group of pix - GREAT WORK!!! That really looks fantiastic. I've been doing a bit of work on my FC Main Top mixed in with grinding the NJ hull this week. As my PENNSY will be a bit different in time frame, the main mast is thus configured a bit different in the radio mast antenna at the top and the associated wiring and cables. Your searchlights look awesome, as well!!! :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks Hank on the Searchlights. I have switched from Super Glue to Gator Grip glue: http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html Except for the eyelets and tacking the rigging, I use this stuff exclusively for all my PE work. It is forgiving, strong, holds the PE in place, even if you adjust it a bit, it will hold it in place and much easier to work with.

I've been doing a bit of work on the CAD file early in the a.m. as I can find some spare time. When I get your templates for the platforms, it will really help me finish this up.

I will get the templates off to you in tomorrows mail. I wouldn't use the holes that are in them, but the shapes are pretty much right on per the drawings and some of the adjustments I made. I hope you find them helpful.

Hank

Take care

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:20 pm 

Mark,

Per your last reply - THANKS!! I'll be on the outlook for them.

Re. the ModelKasten line - I've got 2 different diameters on order - the 0.13mm flex and the 0.10mm metal. We'll see how they work! I'll check out the Gorilla Glue - normal CA w/PE parts do present a problem.

Thanks for the tips, etc.!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:29 pm 

Is there a way I could get a copy of templates scanned in and emailed to me? I'd like to get started on this part of my build too

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:02 pm 

Hello Abram:

I think BB62VET is answering this for you and will have something for you.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm 

Okay folks:

Another addition to the "completed" main mast. I am really done now. I added some more rigging to the main mast. Mostly antenna leads. I tried to divine from the photo's of the ship at Mare Island and I tell ya, this is a tough one, so I made my best guess and this is what I came up with so far. THere is more, but I will accomplish that once the main mast is fixed to the model and I can direct the antenna leads to the appropriate trunks. (Hopefully)
So, what did I do? I added more rigging based on photo's of the ship at Mare Island, and trying to keep it within the parameters of how it must have looked in August of 1941. I also added a conduit from the top, the ladders on each of the forward legs and an admirals penant on the trunk. Which I also changed the trunk light to clear vice red and put the red on the forward portion of the bird bath.

Below is a decent view of the additional rigging to the main top. I left the searchlights in the swivel mode, but am going to add a drop of MEK to the hinge points so they don't move.

In this one you can see the ladders attached to the forelegs. I also added some plastruct channel to each side of the ladder for strength and the pictures showed some sort of support, I think it adds a nice touch.

And another view of the aft side of the main mast.

I received mhy 3" 50's from Shapeways today, so the "fake" ones I made will just stay in the box as I like these. All I did was add a seat and the wheel cranks off the Eduard Sheet, I think they look pretty cool and will certainly set the model aside as indeed it is the Pennsylvania.

That's all for now folks.

Keep those cards and letters coming. :cool_2:

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:56 am 

Mark,

That really looks 1st Class :thumbs_up_1: I think you've captured the necessary details on this mini-build. Kudos!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:43 am 

Hank is right, a mini build. Coming along nicely

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:14 pm 

Great progress Mark! This has got me itching to get started on my Arizona, but I gotta control myself while I suffer through these last few weeks of school. I plan to hit the Arizona hard this summer! Need to get my Bob's Buckles order placed, not sure how long it will take the U-Boat to cross the pond with them haha.

Nelson

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:18 pm 

Thanks guys for checking and your compliments.

@ Hondaman: My sister lives in Mesa, I can't think of the street name but it is a gated subdivision, we are thinking of moving there as well. Bob's Buckles only take about a week maybe two at the most to get from the UK to the US.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:36 pm 

Mgunns wrote:
@ Hondaman: My sister lives in Mesa, I can't think of the street name but it is a gated subdivision, we are thinking of moving there as well.

I'll be able to come see your models in person if you do that :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:00 pm 

ArizonaBB39 wrote:
Mgunns wrote:
@ Hondaman: My sister lives in Mesa, I can't think of the street name but it is a gated subdivision, we are thinking of moving there as well.

I'll be able to come see your models in person if you do that :cool_2:

Think of the knowledge that could be shared! Yes, she lives off McEllips or something like that.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:27 pm 

Mgunns wrote:

@ Hondaman: My sister lives in Mesa, I can't think of the street name but it is a gated subdivision, we are thinking of moving there as well. Bob's Buckles only take about a week maybe two at the most to get from the UK to the US.

If you ever do move here, let me know! I'm going to be moving to Yuma when I graduate for my job, but my parents will still be here so I will be in the valley often. I'd live to see your models in person!

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:55 pm 

hondaman117 wrote:
Mgunns wrote:

If you ever do move here, let me know! I'm going to be moving to Yuma when I graduate for my job, but my parents will still be here so I will be in the valley often. I'd live to see your models in person!

Presently, we are in the planning stages, hopefully things will work out and we can be out of "the great upper midwest" before the next wintry blast.

On the bench:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next