The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm 

JevJanson wrote:
Here's what is on the build list for the next month or so:

USS Midway CV-41: Reactivated and used as helo carrier. Also can operate F-35 fighters.
This sounds interesting. Did you ever make any progress on this build?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

The Midway was never started. I am hoping to get to it this summer, but I have no idea if it will happen yet. My first priority right now is to finish the rest of my projects, which are Enterprise (CVN-65 in 2016 fit. Yeah, I know, the ships is going to the breakers. But, we can dream on, can't we?), Yorktown (CV-10, modernized SCb-125 fit. All new electronics and weapon systems.) and the Soviet Battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy. I can give a brief description of the mods to it, though.

1. Updated electronics. Everything on that ship is getting switched out for the most modern electronics, from radars to gun directors to who knows what else. The ship will be getting the Phased Array radar system, so be looking forward to those hexagons on the island.

2. The ship will be getting upgraded weapons, which include a small Aegis battery in front of the island, along with new 120mm autocannons for close in defense. One SEARAM unit will be installed on the starboard side of the island, jutting out over the side of the ship. Sponsons will be added on the bow to hold the Phalanx systems. The autocannons will be placed on the stern of the ship, one per side.

3. Since it is going to be a helo carrier, the ship will be getting the all new markings on the deck pretaining to where helos can and can't land. My best guess is it will be transporting about 10 SH-60s, 4 MH-53s and 4-6 MV-22 Ospreys. The rest of the airwing will be 8 F-35s (Which might be changed out for Harriers if the F-35 continues to cause problems for the military) and 4 E-2s for the AEW side of its missions. As such, catapults and arrestor gear will be retained.

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms, they are most welcome.

Ryon Olson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:07 pm 

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but you can visit the deck of USS Midway using Google Street View for some 360 degree angles; very handy for anybody wanting to represent the ship in her current state.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 pm 

I wish that someone would produce a 1/350 of the Midway as she was in 1957 after the SCB-110 conversion. I served on her from 30 Sept 1957 until 19 Nov 1959.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 pm 

There is a guy in my town that I am going to talk to and see if he can carve a master mold of the hull for me to use for making a resin-fiberglass hull. If all works out and I am successful, I will hopefully open up the possibility of marketing it. It's a good starting point! I might even make a resin casting of the island and other ship fittings. I'm not so sure about the deck, through...

Ryon Olson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 pm 

That would be great. I miss that build I did years back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 am 

grayelk34 wrote:
I wish that someone would produce a 1/350 of the Midway as she was in 1957 after the SCB-110 conversion.

I'd welcome that myself. Midway as initially modernized was very pleasing to the eye.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:51 am 

Hey all,

I am currently reworking an HP FDR into a 1958 USS Midway for my Grandfather in law who served aboard at this time. Everything was coming together great until I started dry fitting the deck to the hull. The 3inch gun tub just forward of the bridge does not allow a gun mount to fit in it with deck attached. :scratch: I have ditched the kit supplied mounts as they were just wrong and replaced with the much smaller and finer veteran ones but they still don't fit. Does anyone have any good photos of this mount so I can try to figure out what's up?

TIA
Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm 

Starting on a 1/350 scratchbuiltd 1947 CVB-43 this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 pm 

Hi! I am new to this forum... Found it while searching advice regarding the Revell 1/540 straight-deck Midway... I would like to fit her out as she was in the 1952-53 timeframe, when she still got the 3" guns. My question is now: how many Mk56 directors did she have and where exactly were they mounted? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am 

DavidP wrote:

Sir, thank you very much for the link to that website which I found already in my earlier online research. I have already searched the photo galleries provided and was able to determine the location of some of the gun directors, but I still lack an overview or an exact number.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 pm 

It's a no-go on the Midway project, at least for awhile. If I finally get it going, you guys will be the first to know.

Ryon Olson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:03 pm 

gtbred wrote:
Starting on a 1/350 scratchbuiltd 1947 CVB-43 this weekend.

it is back on for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:45 pm 

Hello,

i plan to scratchbuild a USS Midway in 1/350 as originally build, exactly showing the ship
during the shakedown cruise in the Caribbean Sea in spring 1946.

Well, almost all of the upgrade stuff like aircraft, weapons, gun directors, photoetch parts,
generic decals, etc is available.

The only thing i need now is a good plan or drawings to start the project.

So, does anybody know if there are such drawings? And where i can find them?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany,
Jan Schulz, SIG-Waterline :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:41 pm 

Good another as builted Midway in 1/350. :thumbs_up_1:

Attachments:
100_1363.jpg
100_1363.jpg [ 138.5 KiB | Viewed 60461 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:00 am 

Wow, cool! :woo_hoo:

Are there more photos of your Roosevelt? :please:

Greetings from Germany,
Jan Schulz, SIG-Waterline :wave_1:

Post subject: Coral Sea angle deck
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:15 pm 

Can anybody help me. I am looking for the length of the angle deck for the USS Coral Sea CV-43 in her final configuration.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:31 pm 

Good day,
I have a question for all the carrier builders out their. How hard would it be to do 1/350 FDR in her SBC-110 Configuration circa 1959? I have the old midway waiting for upgrade with weapons and new aircraft along with PE. I also remember that someone took the bottom of the old Forrestal kit to make a full hull Midway in an issue of FINESCALE MODELER. Am I wrong to also assume that Midway hull is the same length an width as an IOWA BB?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:14 pm 

Thanks David for the update. I really thought they used a BB hull as the starting point for this class. So I have done some research in the what's on the slipways carriers build thread. Someone posted a fuzzy photo of an axial deck midway in 1/350 it stated two Hancock kits were used. Question for Mark I see you build one in 1/700 a few years ago which set of plans did you use. I will also pm you with this ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:01 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
I really thought they used a BB hull as the starting point for this class.

Not exactly. The Midway class replaced the Montana's in the schedule - but were not adapted from them. They also used the same powerplant as the Iowa's in the Midway's and they were about the same displacement. Also, the Midway's used the complex machinery layout of the Montana's. So some concepts and machinery designs were carried over, but that is more about being from the same design generation and displacement range rather than being somehow a direct copy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next