The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:28 pm 

Yeah, I don;t see that as a possible avenue with these parts alone.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 am 

Hi all,
I just added some pictures of my build of IJN Chokai at the Battle of Savo Island to Picture post and added more comments on the 1/700 Fujimi kit there.
Hope you will like it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm 

The model is awesome but I would like to comment on the pictures too, they look like the real thing ! :big_grin:

Edit: Noticing that you have the correct shape number 1 turret rangefinder, thats rare, most of modellers ignore that little fact.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:57 am 

Thank you very much, Atma!
Credits for the correct rangefinder on turret #1 go to Fujimi, they did it right. Actually, I thought it was a mistake at first but then realized they were right.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:10 am 

I have an Aoshima Takao and Atago, but will likely be going with the Fujimi Chokai (for both the 1942 Chokai and Maya).

I will be having to convert the Chokai to the Maya, which earlier in the thread there is a conversation pointing out that the Chokai and Maya were more similar in 1942 than the Maya and Takao.

I have the Flyhawk PE set for the Takao and Atago, but will have to piece together PE sets for the Chokai and Maya, as Vladi did for his Chokai (Beautiful model).

I have been slowly building up references for the Takao-class, but finding anything on the Maya from 1942 has been more than a little difficult.

One thing that I have wondered is that I know that the Kinugasa and Aoba had White Rangefinder/Directors atop their superstructures... And that the Kongō-class BBs had white Rangefinder/Directors for a part of this time (I need to check on specifics).

Did the Takao-class also have these White Rangefinder/Directors at this point?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:04 am 

Hello MatthewB,
you should definitely use Chokai as a starting point for Maya in 1942. Although all the 4 ships were nearly identical when built, Takao and Atago superstructures were vastly modified in 1938-39 (bridge rebuilt and lowered, foremast changed, aft superstructure changed, mainmast and crane moved, aircraft handling area added instead of hangar, secondary and torpedo armament changed etc.) while Chokai and Maya received only minor modifications (and both the same). Janusz Skulski´s Anatomy of the Ship - The Heavy Cruiser Takao book (AOTS) is a great help here as almost everything pre-1938 directly applies to Chokai and Maya, too. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the "most important" difference between Chokai and Maya in 1942 was slightly different arrangement of hatches at the torpedo deck level - something that you would hardly notice.
EDIT: I only now noticed that Dan K wrote for you an even more detailed summary already at previous pages ;)
Quote:

yes for Chokai, as can be seen on her October 1942 photo from Truk (below). The main rangefinder of the Takao class was much smaller than that on Aoba/Furutaka so it is not that prominently noticeable.
Attachment:
194210 Chokai at Truk white rangefinder.jpg
194210 Chokai at Truk white rangefinder.jpg [ 54.8 KiB | Viewed 2940 times ]

It seems that Atago even had more white painted than just the main rangefinder on this photo:
Attachment:
194206 Atago white rangefinder Skulski.jpg
194206 Atago white rangefinder Skulski.jpg [ 63.41 KiB | Viewed 2940 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:38 pm 

The white topped director is something that I overlooked for my Chokai build. One day, I'll paint it properly.

Quote:
Edit: Noticing that you have the correct shape number 1 turret rangefinder, thats rare, most of modellers ignore that little fact.

You mean the smaller hood/aperture?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:45 am 

Yes Dan.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:03 am 

Vladi wrote:
Hello MatthewB,
you should definitely use Chokai as a starting point for Maya in 1942. Although all the 4 ships were nearly identical when built, Takao and Atago superstructures were vastly modified in 1938-39 (bridge rebuilt and lowered, foremast changed, aft superstructure changed, mainmast and crane moved, aircraft handling area added instead of hangar, secondary and torpedo armament changed etc.) while Chokai and Maya received only minor modifications (and both the same). Janusz Skulski´s Anatomy of the Ship - The Heavy Cruiser Takao book (AOTS) is a great help here as almost everything pre-1938 directly applies to Chokai and Maya, too. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the "most important" difference between Chokai and Maya in 1942 was slightly different arrangement of hatches at the torpedo deck level - something that you would hardly notice.
EDIT: I only now noticed that Dan K wrote for you an even more detailed summary already at previous pages ;)
Quote:

yes for Chokai, as can be seen on her October 1942 photo from Truk (below). The main rangefinder of the Takao class was much smaller than that on Aoba/Furutaka so it is not that prominently noticeable.
Attachment:
194210 Chokai at Truk white rangefinder.jpg

It seems that Atago even had more white painted than just the main rangefinder on this photo:
Attachment:
194206 Atago white rangefinder Skulski.jpg

Thanks for the points.

Yes, I have the AOTS-Takao book. It is very helpful (I think I have a few of that series). It is a pity that the details in that book could not be extended to cover 1942 and later, as well.

When I finish my current "San Francisco" (sort-of San Francisco - too many errors) and Laffey & Farenholt, I am going to do a few IJN ships (Takao, continue work on the Aoba & Kinugasa, finish the Nagara, and do a few IJN DDs - likely 2 Shiratsuyu-class, and 2 Kagerō-class). I would kind of like to do all four of the Takao-class at the same time, but doing four large cruisers at once might push my space available to its limits.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:13 am 

Quote:
It is a pity that the details in that book could not be extended to cover 1942 and later, as well.

Huh? My copy covers changes through 1944, though only highlighting the sections that were changed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:42 am 

Hi all,

I've bought a Fujimi 1/700 Atago and the Flyhawk PE for the Takao (the correct set designed for the Fujimi kit, I assume it's good for Atago as well). I also got the Warship Pictorial on the Takao class and while the book is excellent overall, I am disappointed that there are no pictures of Atago post-1942. I'm guessing that if Steve Wiper couldn't find them they just don't exist, but as a long-shot, does anyone have any? I believe the Fujimi kit and Flyhawk PE are good for an Atago in 1944 fit, in the absence of pictures can I just follow the instructions and/or use Takao as a reference? How different were the two sisters at this time? What other changes did Takao receive after Atago's loss that I should ignore (e.g. if I'm using pictures of her in Singapore as references).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:12 pm 

I would think the Takao PE applicable to the Atago kit. The sets appear slightly different in that the Atago set appears to have a set of splinter shields for what I'm guessing is the deck mounted triples close to the stern:

Takao: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10137742/10/0
Atago: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10230160/10/0

Differences between the two are minor, the auxiliary piping on #1 funnel, the upper mainmast. Photos of Atago in 1941-42 show the openings ahead of the catapult sponsons (under the forward half of the catapult) and the end of the 01/high angle gun deck to be blocked off. Some say these were plated in; it could also be canvas coverings.

In 1944, I think there are some small differences in light, additional 25mmAA. First image is a scan of Atago 1944, from the new Shizuo Fukui book of late war fits taken by him in surveys of most surviving IJN combatants in the summer of 1944.

Photography-wise, there aren't that many late war photos of Atago. The best of them is also posted.

Attachments:
Atago, Survey of IJN Warships, 1944, Fukui sm.jpg
Atago, Survey of IJN Warships, 1944, Fukui sm.jpg [ 178.47 KiB | Viewed 2648 times ]
Atago off Lingga, Borneo, May 1944, Nihon no Gunkan v#6 sm.jpg
Atago off Lingga, Borneo, May 1944, Nihon no Gunkan v#6 sm.jpg [ 198.11 KiB | Viewed 2648 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:48 am 

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll use the sketch for placing the AAA. Since the differences in masts and funnel piping are already there in 1942 I can use the pictures from that year for those details.

Note though I don't have the Fujimi PE, I have the extensive Flyhawk set. It's labelled as Takao and they don't have a dedicated one for Atago, but given the similarities and the sheer number of parts I should be able to use the pictures to make it work :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:14 pm 

hello!
sorry if that was already answered... but when exactly single 120mm has been replaced into double 127mm on Takao..?
AOTS shows at 1939 four singles. And at 1944 double already.

thank you !
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:22 pm 

Takao in March, 1942, Atago in April, 1942. Both at Yokosuka.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 am 

Thanks for the information, Dan :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:17 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Takao in March, 1942, Atago in April, 1942. Both at Yokosuka.

Those are the Typical Type 89 DP mounts, correct?

What about the Chokai and Maya in 1942?

They had the Single 127 Mount that was fully enclosed (Or at least to the Front and both sides), correct?

I can't recall the Type.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Those are the Typical Type 89 DP mounts, correct?

Yes

Quote:
What about the Chokai and Maya in 1942?

They had the Single 127 Mount that was fully enclosed (Or at least to the Front and both sides), correct?

Single 12cm 45cal in Type B shield. Chokai carried these mounts until her sinking. Same mounts on the the Furutaka & Aoba classes as well.

Attachments:
12cm 45 cal mount, B shield, GPS Cruiser vol.jpg
12cm 45 cal mount, B shield, GPS Cruiser vol.jpg [ 184.17 KiB | Viewed 2200 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:02 pm 
Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum. I'm beginning a 1/350 1944 Atago build (Aoshima).
What are the differences between Takao and Atago in 1944?
Is the 1944 Takao Flyhawk photo-etch set all I need?

Thanks for the Help,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:50 pm 

Welcome! Glad to have you join us.

That PE set such work just fine for Atago. She was nearly identical to Takao. The biggest difference was in the arrangement of the auxiliary piping on both sides of #1 funnel, and I believe the kit gives you proper piping. Her upper mainmast arrangement may be slightly different as well.

Less well documented is that the hull openings in front of her catapult sponsons may have been plated in at some point in 1942, as seen in one photo below (taken from a Japanese website, Vanguard, IIRC).

Attachments:
Atago midsection 1942.jpg
Atago midsection 1942.jpg [ 38.47 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next