The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:57 pm 

I hope some of the canadians on this board might help me. I am planning to build the 1/350 Huron-kit as either Haida or Athabascan. I would like to know when the RCN changed their Tribals camouflage to the blue hull/grey upperworks that Haida is carrying now?

Also, does anyone know the FS or RGB colour code for those two colours?

I hope you can help me and thank you for reading this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:08 pm 

Here's the Resin Shipyard's instructions for RCN paints throughout its period: http://www.resinshipyard.com/pages/colours.html

You'll want the section that talks about the 1950s, as that's what Haida's supposed to represent today.

Note that you can't build Haida as she appears today using the Trumpeter kits without a lot of extra work due to the post-war refits.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:08 am 

Can anyone identify this piece of equipment, and possibly direct me to a photo.
It is mounted, one on each side of the director, midway between the director tower and the rangefinder.
A training wheel is fitted on the lower stem of the pedestal.

I have been searching for this apparatus without any luck, TIA

Attachments:
TRIBAL.jpg
TRIBAL.jpg [ 54.33 KiB | Viewed 5195 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 am 

Finally, after more delving, I have identified these pedestals, Searchlight manipulators.
Not to be confused with a searchlight sight, manipulators were fitted with a training wheel.
The bridge plan of an Australian tribal indicates duel horn units, although I believe Arunta was fitted with single arm units, but I am open to correction.

The attachment shows what I believe are duel arm units (circled)

For those interested, also a partial view of a Mark II Rangefinder, without yagi antenna, impossible to find on any web searches.
The boxes forward of the rangefinder prism tube are stabilisers.
The wall of the rangefinder turret on Australian tribals was higher than shown, and consisted of a yagi array of 5 elements, the inside reflector was smaller than the outside ones and only had one element. this increased to a 6 element array later in the war.

This maybe a RN unit, the bridge layout on an Australian tribal was slightly different.
cheers.

Attachments:
tribal bribge layout..jpg
tribal bribge layout..jpg [ 199.96 KiB | Viewed 5124 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:34 pm 

FYI, I made a small post on bridge equipment, trying to untangle my confusion :smallsmile:

http://ontheslipway.com/?p=1647

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 pm 

I did find your excellent site EJ, you have done a great job with research, your work is also excellent.
I didn`t notice an actual searchlight manipulator pedestal within all the shots, but I did manage to pick up 2 very clear shots of the equipment in question, from the IWM collection.
Would you like these for your records?

Regards, Brett M.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:24 am 

Yes please, please send them. I've seen pics sveral of the manipulators and thought I added them to my post but apparently not! :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:06 am 

This is what a searchlight manipulator pedestal looks like, courtesy of the IWM collection.
A missing piece in the puzzle of bridge equip.

Camera angles can be deceptive, but the front on shot clearly shows the 2 curved arms(horns) of the equip.
Also clearly illustrates the training wheel and crank handle, and where the lookout attaches his binoculars to the left hand sight rail.
The right hand arm is fitted with a forward sight ring and sliding block.
I believe these shots are on Eskimo.
Cheers.

Attachments:
SLM (2).jpg
SLM (2).jpg [ 54.73 KiB | Viewed 5057 times ]
SLM.jpg
SLM.jpg [ 49.52 KiB | Viewed 5057 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:16 am 

Northstar has the 1/350sc Quad pom poms now.
hth john

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 am 

Happy new year all!
What type of directors did the later Haida have? Models I see look similar to a Mk II or IV but are inconclusive?
Northstar have a Mk IV and so does Shapeways I see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:24 am 

Hi all!

Long time lurker looking for a bit of advice on the HMS Zulu.

I am currently working on the 1/350 Trumpeter kit, uprading it with the White Ensign PE set, North Star Models 4" gun, and 4.7 inch barrels by Master. Still undecided werther to use the WE boat and propeller replacement set or get some replacements elsewhere.

Anyway: I am not all that keen on the suggested sheme of blue-gray hull and light gray superstructure (looks too much like my US ships), so I am looking for a bit of advice on other possible paint schemes. I quite like Chris Floodberg's excellent HMCS Huron, so I want to try some kind of disruptive scheme instead.

I came across this image, supposedly showing her in a mediterranean scheme:
http://gb-navy-ww2.narod.ru/IMG-2D-DD-TRIBAL-ZULU.gif

Can anyone confirm that she actually did wear some kind of disruptive scheme while deployed in the mediterranean.

Also: The colors in that image is obviously way off. This reference chart seems to suggest that the mediterranean scheme is actually much more gray (507A, 507B, 507C, MS1, MS3)
http://www.banksofthesusquehanna.com/Co ... _camo.htm#

If I go for the mediterranean scheme the ship would need to be upgraded to the post June/july 1941 refit.

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono ... S_Zulu.htm

If the initial deployment post refit before going to the Mediterranean was NW Approaches duty, perhaps a different scheme altogether would be more appropriate? (I have a weakness for the Admiralty Disruptive scheme as seen on the HMS Renown, but I am unsure if this was also used on destroyers)

The June July refit also includes a re-arranging of the main mast:

"Refit work was also undertaken and including replacement of mainmast by a new structure to suit fit of aerial for wireless direction finding outfit. 20mm single Oerlikon mountings were fitted on bridge wings, Radar Type 285 for main armament gunnery fire control installed and depth charge throwers re-sited on quarter deck"

Would that still be the tripod mainmast as provided in the kit?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:56 pm 

I've seen no photos or other evidence that ZULU ever wore a patterned camouflage scheme. A series of photos held by the Imperial War Museum (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=hms+zulu - ref number A6376 is probably the best) captioned as taken in the Atlantic on 17 November 1941 show the configuration clearly, including the short vertical polemast for the HF/DF aerial (the aerial itself is somewhat blurred, but there are other photos of this sort of aerial online). Despite what naval-history.net says, the weapon in the port bridge wing appears to be a single 2 pounder gun, not a 20mm Oerlikon, and the depth charge throwers are not on the quarterdeck, but have been moved down from the after shelter deck to upper deck level abreast the searchlight. Also shown are the splinter shields at the deckedge abreast the main armament and 4" HA mountings, and the RDF (radar) Type 286 aerial at the foremasthead, again not provided in the kit. Most of the additions are available in the White Ensign photoetch set (except for the splinter shields and 2 pounders) as more accurate representations than the Trumpeter versions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 am 

Hmm. Back to the drawingboard then. One option might be to convert it into a different ship of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 pm 

I am at the early stages of building HMS Nubian as she appeared during the Battle of Crete. The information given on page 5 of this thread has helped clarify some questions. I do have one more, however, and seek your views: until she had her stern blown off in the Battle of Crete, Nubian spent little time in shipyards and until her refit after her battle damage seems to have retained her "as built" configuration.
In such a case, what would be an educated guess regarding the colours of her decks? Corticene and steel or early war semtex and steel? Moreover, would the decks of the superstructure be coated with corticene/semtex or would they have remained painted steel?

Any comments appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:40 pm 

Anthony P wrote:
I am at the early stages of building HMS Nubian as she appeared during the Battle of Crete. The information given on page 5 of this thread has helped clarify some questions. I do have one more, however, and seek your views: until she had her stern blown off in the Battle of Crete, Nubian spent little time in shipyards and until her refit after her battle damage seems to have retained her "as built" configuration.
In such a case, what would be an educated guess regarding the colours of her decks? Corticene and steel or early war semtex and steel? Moreover, would the decks of the superstructure be coated with corticene/semtex or would they have remained painted steel?

Any comments appreciated!

I would go with the decks as per this illustration in Profile Warship on HMS Cossack - as those guys that made it , knew their stuff about Tribal Class ships ....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:51 am 

I am planning in mid April to build the Trumpeter 1/350 scale HMS Eskimo as HMS Cossack for the 2nd Battle of Narvik
so I am going for Pennant F03 ( changed from L03 in 1938 ) and I plan to add the following aftermarket items
( this might help anyone else who wants to build this ship or 1 of her class ) and rectify the faults in the Model as it stands -

( 1 ) White Ensign Photo-etch WEM 1/350 Tribal Class Destroyer (Trumpeter) (PE 35169
( 2 ) WEM 1/350 HMS Eskimo Boat and Propeller Set (PRO 3534) - this replaces the kit boats that look German
( 3 ) Art-Wox Wooden Deck ( 4 ) BECC White Ensign Fabric Flag ( 5 ) Rainbow Depth Charges 1/350 in brass
( 6 ) https://northstarmodels.com/product/135 ... unt-4-pcs/ -
this is a real beauty to replace the wrong 8 gun pom-pom mounting that these ships never had
( 7 ) Master Model Brass Barrels for 4.7 inch guns ( 8 ) Big Blue Boy 1/350 #35008 WWII British Vickers 0.50 Quad AA Gun
- these 0.5 inch guns look really nice and far better than the kit examples

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:32 am 

73north wrote:
I am planning in mid April to build the Trumpeter 1/350 scale HMS Eskimo as HMS Cossack for the 2nd Battle of Narvik

Just did it like you are planning, the only thing I missed was the North Star quad pom-poms ,they were'nt available then,I used the WEM quad pompoms, a bit crude ,but I replaced the barrels, they are ok now,also I do recommend the North Star quad Vickers 0.50, IMO they are better than the BBB units, my kit has BBB ,but North Star are easier to build and nicer.

Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 126.73 KiB | Viewed 3222 times ]

3.- Don't build it
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 pm 

Miguel's list is correct, but I would add that there are a number of 3d printed relevant items appropriate for a 1/350 Tribal:
-corrected main turrets
-torpedo tubes
-rafts
-sets of boats which include the appropriate boats for a Tribal
-powered twin 20mm AA bases for the late war fits

In my opinion, they offer better definition than aftermarket resin. The problem is that they are expensive for what they are...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 pm 

Anthony P wrote:
Miguel's list is correct, but I would add that there are a number of 3d printed relevant items appropriate for a 1/350 Tribal:
-corrected main turrets
-torpedo tubes
-rafts
-sets of boats which include the appropriate boats for a Tribal
-powered twin 20mm AA bases for the late war fit,

In my opinion, they offer better definition than aftermarket resin. The problem is that they are expensive for what they are...

Forgot that :doh_1:
I already have the replacement main turrets from Digital Sprue and are fantastic, can say that I helped a bit in the process , because the first batch was underscaled, the second batch was overscaled, now are very close to the real thing
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZRKTK ... d=61183319

The boats and rafts for sure the printed are much better than the resin/stock, but yes, they are not cheap at all, for the torpedo launchers IMHO Trumpeter did a god job and I did not replace them.

Anyway ,I did enjoy the build and to finish it ,just need some washes and finish the rigging and the matt coat afterwards

Attachments:
1.png
1.png [ 140.15 KiB | Viewed 3167 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 99.23 KiB | Viewed 3167 times ]

3.- Don't build it
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:30 pm 
So, for the purpose of clarity, which ones exactly, are the actual correct scale?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next