The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:09 pm 

boomstick68 wrote:
Good news JFK fans!! Tetra Model Works is working on a detail set for the Merit JFK. It is in development stage now with pics soon to be released, according to their Facebook page. Cannot wait for this, I've put off building her hoping for this news. :woo_hoo:

That is good news. My hope they will back date a special box.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:26 pm 

Also working on the CV 63 64 Brass sets....contacted me a few months for photos. Does not happen overnight considering its complexity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:59 pm 

sierra hotel wrote:
Also working on the CV 63 64 Brass sets....contacted me a few months for photos. Does not happen overnight considering its complexity.

kool Ray! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:44 pm 

boomstick68 wrote:
Good news JFK fans!! Tetra Model Works is working on a detail set for the Merit JFK. It is in development stage now with pics soon to be released, according to their Facebook page. Cannot wait for this, I've put off building her hoping for this news. :woo_hoo:

That is good news. I am doing a 1968/69 era so i am not sure how much the extra PE Sets will help but it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Here is a test fit so far....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:01 am 

Hi guys
Haven't been on the boards for a while and just before noticed the pics etc of an upgrade set for the 1/350 Kitty Hawk, now I see there will be an upgrade set (from a diff Co) for the Kennedy, trying not to order either kit (I have only room for Kitty Hawk OR John Kennedy) so will be looking more frequently at what you guys say & think about whats coming out.

And Mark, your build so far with the LED's looks really sweet.

Thanks & regards
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:04 pm 

I have decided to do my JFK in her 1975 Configuration when she first got F-14. I am correct in guessing that at t65he same time she also F-4, A-7,A-6B, and S-3, E-2 and SH-3 along with a few VIGS and Whales as support aircraft. Also did they use S-1 or the C-2 for COD's. Thanks
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:29 pm 

Go to this website. It will tell you what you looking for with the aircraft in the airwing for 1975. All except the COD... Just scroll down for the deployments in 1975.

Hope this helps

Thomas

http://gonavy.jp/CV-CV67f.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:09 pm 

As my usual 'go-to site of HobbySearch doesn't have the instructions for either JFK nor Kitty, & it's too soon to find anything on Connie, I wondered just how different they were in the box?

As near-sisters, I'm hoping Trumpeter/Merit didn't go cheap & just change the air-wing & decals....

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:16 am 

Hi guys

I also have checked out Hobby-Search re the 3 new 1/350 Carriers. The Kitty Hawk & Constellation (Trumpeter) apparently have F-18, while the ship I am thinking of getting (JFK) (Merit) has both
F-18 & F-14 (so I assume older date & air wing) I am no expert, but am guessing the difference between Kitty Hawk & Constellation is very minimal.
JFK "May" be a touch shorter and less width, possibly.

Hopefully we will find out more soon.

Rgds
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:59 pm 

The hulls for all 4 Kitty Hawks and Forrestal's are the same dimension. The major difference between Kitty Hawk/Conny and the JFK is the Island/Mast and the layout of the flight deck/sponsons.

The Kitty Hawk kit and JFK kits represent the last configuration of the ships before they were decommissioned so the airwing would be F-14 and F/A-18C on JFK. For Kitty Hawk, you could go with F-14 and F/A-18C or F/A-18F and F/A-18C. I have not seen Conny but I am speculating that it represents her last configuration which would be F-14 and F/A-18C. Additionally, you would have EA-6B, E-2C, SH-60, and a C-2A COD on all three.

Hope that helps,

Mark

edit: Additionally, you would have S-3's for Conny and JFK. Kitty Hawk lost hers in 2004.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:14 pm 

Hi Mark
Thanks for the reply and detailed info on air wings & hulls etc.
Sometime in the next few months I am going to purchase:
1 of the 3 new release 1/350 (leaning toward the JFK & depending on the etch sets)
Or
The Trumpeter Nimitz, & then buy whatever aftermarket stuff available to make a later model ?

Thanks again
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:25 am 

Nice work Mark! :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject: Hangar deck details
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:19 pm 

Hi All

What is the best photo references for the hangar deck? Thinking about getting the kit but won't bother unless there are detail pics of the hangar deck walls, ceilings etc, cos of the need to scratchbuild the walls etc...

I've got the detail and scale book, but photos are a bit limited...

regards
Bruce

Last edited by MartinJQuinn on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into correct thread

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 pm 

I have found a few good sets online. Enough to cover most areas anyway.

Post subject: Re: Hangar deck details
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 am 

youngb wrote:
Hi All

What is the best photo references for the hangar deck? Thinking about getting the kit but won't bother unless there are detail pics of the hangar deck walls, ceilings etc, cos of the need to scratchbuild the walls etc...

I've got the detail and scale book, but photos are a bit limited...

regards
Bruce

I did a hanger bay for JFK and photos are limited. 2/3rds or more came from Ray's JFK DVD set.

http://www.stillmotionsphotographics.co ... ographics/

I also have the Kitty Hawk DVDs which help some. navysite.de is a another source. They have a lot of cruise books posted and you can dig through them for some pics and you have a pretty nice idea of what year it was taken, sometimes to the month.

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 pm 

Still thinking about lighting up my J.F.K.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:36 pm 

JFK so far. I am doing here 1969 era. I am glad I lit the hanger bay but it really kills the batteries fast!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:19 pm 

Hi Mark
That's a sweet looking JFK you have there, what etch did you use, Generic I guess? I still have not seen any info on the Tetra Set, assume / hope its not far off.

Keep adding pics when you can, the Hanger Deck & Aircraft look very, very nice! Great looking Ship!

Regards
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:24 pm 

Thanks Peter.

I used generic PE for the stairs and railings. I used a WEM Nimitz PE set to provide the SPS-43 Radar and the kits PE for the deck edge PE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 pm 

This may sound like a dumb question but what the heck....

Anybody try to adapt the Eduard 1/350 PE details to the Merit JFK model? I thought I saw that someone on here successfully pressed the Nimitz set into service. Obviously, the details on the pennant number would have to be adjusted from 63 to 67 but are the dimensions between the two models sufficiently close so that things like railings, radars, nets, etc fit "reasonably" on the Kennedy?

I'm thinking about giving it a whirl. Tetra isn't giving a release date so it could be awhile before the Merit Kennedy-specific PE set comes out and I've had my Jack for nearly a year now.

Thanks!

Bob Delaney
Currently in Drydock: 1/350 Intrepid circa 1967

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next