The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:18 pm 

bmkerr wrote:
Good morning Gentlemen,

I received my Tamiya 1/700 USS Enterprise in the mail and it looks like its a late war version. What do I need to do to make it a Midway version.

I know the main guns have to be replace and all the 20mm have to be cut of and replaced.

Are the Fine Molds 5"/38 cal guns good or should I get the 3Dmodelparts set
http://www.3dmodelparts.com/1-700-5-inch-38-pedestal-mount-enclosed-and-open-guns-mk-21-mk-24-5-pcs/

My next would be which one as there are 4 different versions and I'm a bit confused.

I also read the forum here to use the hornet kit for parts(Which I also received).

Sorry guys,

Its to early in the morning and I confused myself with the kit.

after checking CV-6.org on the armament, I confused the 1.1 quads for 40mm.

I'm leaning towards using 3dmodelparts for all the armament. Can anyone tell me about the quality of the parts and is shipping expensive to Darwin, Australia.

Brian

"starter of many, finisher of none"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hi Brian!

3DModelparts weapons are superb. I am not able to answer your question about postage.

A 3D-printed Midway-appearance CV-6 island is also available perfectly scaled for the Tamiya kit:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/D6XRWS ... d=59576760

Attachment:
Model Monkey USS Enterprise CV-6 island 1942 Midway.png
Model Monkey USS Enterprise CV-6 island 1942 Midway.png [ 198.6 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
Model Monkey Yorktown class Islands.e.jpg
Model Monkey Yorktown class Islands.e.jpg [ 197.53 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]
Model Monkey Yorktown class Islands.f.jpg
Model Monkey Yorktown class Islands.f.jpg [ 197.26 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:30 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm about to place on order with 3D model parts

I've know I need 20mm MG and 1.1 quads.

Can I use http://www.3dmodelparts.com/1-700-5-inc ... ns-10-pcs/ or 5in/25 gun instead of 5in/38 cal on my Enterprise.

how many .50 cals do I need for a Midway Enterprise.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 pm 

The 5"/38 do look a bit different and the barrels are longer. I would go with the 38s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the help guys.

Another question. How do I add photos to my post.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:56 pm 

When replying, scroll down a bit and look for this section:

Attachment:
File comment: File Comment Field text appears here.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 30.45 KiB | Viewed 2318 times ]

Hit browse, go to the area on your computer where the photos in question are saved and select one at a time and then hit OK
Add a comment if you so desire, I typed "File Comment Text ..." so you can see what it looks like. Use this to add captions if desired. Hit "Add the file" button. Once you have it added, you can hit the "place inline" button that will then appear at the bottom of the regular text box so that you can add specific photos in a specific place in a specific order. Keep in mind that we have a Work in Progress section for any work photos to go into so that we can keep these threads from becoming any more of a monster than they already are.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:39 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
When replying, scroll down a bit and look for this section:

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

Hit browse, go to the area on your computer where the photos in question are saved and select one at a time and then hit OK
Add a comment if you so desire, I typed "File Comment Text ..." so you can see what it looks like. Use this to add captions if desired. Hit "Add the file" button. Once you have it added, you can hit the "place inline" button that will then appear at the bottom of the regular text box so that you can add specific photos in a specific place in a specific order. Keep in mind that we have a Work in Progress section for any work photos to go into so that we can keep these threads from becoming any more of a monster than they already are.

Thanks Tracy,

I'll start uploading in WIP thread.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:28 pm 

Hi guys,

What is the hanger walls colour at the time of June 1942

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:35 pm 

It looks to me kind of an off white.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:09 pm 

Hi guys are these open or closed.

Attachments:
File comment: open or closed
hanger doors.jpg
hanger doors.jpg [ 139.01 KiB | Viewed 2176 times ]

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:11 pm 

bmkerr wrote:
Hi guys are these open or closed.

Either. They are roller doors. They go up and down like a garage door. Your pick.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:27 pm 

bmkerr wrote:
What is the hanger walls colour at the time of June 1942

No proof - likely silver/aluminum. Photos before that are consistent with something other than white, and she and Yorktown were too busy to spend enough yard time to scrape and repaint it all. I've been looking for documentation but none so far yet.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:33 pm 

Tracy, isn't there pics of the Hornet's hangar deck when she was being fit out?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:18 pm 

In color? Not that I know of. I've been looking for a 1940 or 1941 "Painting and Cementing" guide to see what differences it might have from the 1943 copy we have on ShipCamouflage.com. Since I don't have proof, I might as well lay out the reasons for my suspicions to let others decide for themselves.

I don't know how many of you ever look at photos of Old metal airplanes, but they don't reflect light the way painted planes do. Aluminum/silver paint is also a bit darker in tone than white. So, when I came across the below photo at Seattle NARA a number of years ago it jumped out at me:

Attachment:
File comment: CA Houston Scout Plane Hangar
Photo 14 902-39.jpg
Photo 14 902-39.jpg [ 106.96 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]

That ain't white paint folks. The two darker areas underneath the sealed porthole are from where the light ISN'T bouncing off the beam to highlight the bulkhead, and there's just a whole lot of stuff going on light and appearance wise that doesn't happen with flat white paint. It's CA-30 Houston's hangar bay, and obviously it was so different than the "white bulkheads and overheads" common wisdom that it caused a big "?" to visibly float over my head. So, I've been looking for evidence and explanations ever since.

Last year, I was looking for CV-5 photos for Steve and came across this one:

Attachment:
File comment: CV-5 Hangar Bay, 1938
80-CF-21156-2.jpg
80-CF-21156-2.jpg [ 70.88 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]

Light reflecting off the ventilation ducts doesn't look right for white. The "No smoking" sign is noticeably brighter than the surrounding bulkhead paint and the porthole that is opened is showing the OUTSIDE paint (#5 Standard Navy Gray, which is darker than white) on the surface and it's lighter than the bulkheads as well.

Like I said, no proof... no documentation, but I consider it STRONG circumstantial evidence that hangar bays of USN ships were not painted with white on the bulkheads and overheads but were instead painted in some form of reflective metallic paint.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:08 pm 

Hi Guys,

My next questions is, Were there any deck markings on the hanger deck or was it just plain.

I made a rough hanger deck from the plans for the Yorktown.
http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cv5.pdf

I know I'm building in 1/700 but just the knowledge that someting is in there will put the mind at ease.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:21 pm 

Only I can remember seeing were tennis courts on Yorktown. Might be some warning stripes around the elevator wells, but I haven't seen any color footage early war to confirm that.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:40 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Like I said, no proof... no documentation, but I consider it STRONG circumstantial evidence that hangar bays of USN ships were not painted with white on the bulkheads and overheads but were instead painted in some form of reflective metallic paint.

Wow!!! Based on these photos, I think your judgment on this is correct. I'm going to have to go back and look at those Hornet class hangar pics I have somewhere!

Concerning the tennis court stripes painted on the hangar deck floor of CV5 Yorktown, do you remember where those where located? I don't think I've ever seen a pic of York's hangar deck floor except for the Midway pics of Cheek's F4F and the SBDs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:45 pm 

Aft hangar, underneath the open overheads where spare aircraft were stored. I donated my copy of Steve's book to NARA and am waiting on my LHS to restock to get another one; once I've confirmed whether or not Steve used my pic I'll post it or tell you the page number. :thumbs_up_1:

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Aft hangar, underneath the open overheads where spare aircraft were stored. I donated my copy of Steve's book to NARA and am waiting on my LHS to restock to get another one; once I've confirmed whether or not Steve used my pic I'll post it or tell you the page number. :thumbs_up_1:

I can donate my copy to you if that would help!!! :cool_2: I'm beginning to become convinced that you are more well versed with the Yorktown class than the Essex class carriers (if that is even possible)!! :big_grin:

Do you remember if it was one court or multiple and how they were oriented? Was the serving points bow to stern or port to starboard? (looking through Steve's book right now!).

Do you know if ENT had something similar?

Awesome, Tracy - and many thanks once again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:59 pm 

TOMLABEL wrote:
I'm beginning to become convinced that you are more well versed with the Yorktown class than the Essex class carriers (if that is even possible)!!

Far from it! While Yorktown is a definite favorite of mine, I sort-of expanded into the Essex research early one because we had so many knowledgeable people like Dick Jensen, Mike Vorassi, and then Devin Poore who already seemed to have all the details down. Why bother, at that point? :thumbs_up_1: Little did I know, but I've stuck with the Essex class because there is already a good cadre of experts to take care of the Yorktown class. It's kind of funny in a way that my "first love" of carriers is a ship that I can't rattle off the details like I can with the Essex class, but life can be like that.

I suspect that if Steve had used the photo I'm thinking of, you would already be familiar with it, so here it is. He doesn't own copyright on it (neither do I for that matter), I just prefer to drive people to his books if possible. I'll be sending a better copy in to Navsource as well. To that point, all the stuff I scanned in will be showing up on Devin's CV-5 Yorktown site in a year or two... same reason, we want books to sell well first.

Attachment:
File comment: Courts!
80-CF-21156-3.jpg
80-CF-21156-3.jpg [ 191.24 KiB | Viewed 3058 times ]

*EDIT* also wish to state that these are pretty small for tennis course so I'm not sure precisely what they are. Pickle ball?

-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 49  Next