The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 am
Posts: 279
biggles2 wrote:

By "X" turret, do you mean "C" turret? I thought any forward turrets were labelled A - B -C, and any aft turrets X - Y - Z. :wave_1:



They went through various changes - for most of their lives it was "A", "B" and "X", alternatively "A", "B" and "Y" (as per KGVs)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:52 pm
Posts: 355
Location: Inverness
Just watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68_Guea6ycY

Might be of interest if anyone not aware of it!

Happy viewing.

Cheers, Jabb

_________________
On the way - a rusty Liberty with lots of goodies!

----------------------------------------------------------

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Jabberwock wrote:
Just watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68_Guea6ycY

Might be of interest if anyone not aware of it!

Happy viewing.

Cheers, Jabb

Was the white thing at 1:10 caused by the shells hitting the water? I wouldn't think so...must be something else..

Aop.

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 am
Posts: 279
Aop Aur wrote:

Was the white thing at 1:10 caused by the shells hitting the water? I wouldn't think so...must be something else..

Aop.




It's an aircraft laid (i.e. chemical) smokescreen


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
pgollin wrote:
Aop Aur wrote:

Was the white thing at 1:10 caused by the shells hitting the water? I wouldn't think so...must be something else..

Aop.




It's an aircraft laid (i.e. chemical) smokescreen

Thanks for the info! I think they must have been very effective!

Aop.

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 am
Posts: 279
.

Unfortunately they were very "thin" and short lasting. No use in anything other than VERY calm conditions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Hi all.
I am looking for a set of 1/350 Nelson class 16" barrels for my Lion class project, but all I could find is B&D barrel one. The price is $30, which is expensive comparing to others. So can anyone recommend any other brands that produce this, or someone who does custom turned brass barrels like Steve Nuttal (only sadly he passed away)?
:smallsmile:
TIA,
Aop

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm
Posts: 2295
http://master-model.pl/sklep.html?page= ... rd=british


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
EJFoeth wrote:
http://master-model.pl/sklep.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=335&category_id=4&keyword=british

Thanks for the link EJ. Unfortunately that one is 1/700...

Aop

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm
Posts: 2295
Ah, I see. Well, just wait; can't be much longer now before they release a 350 set.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
EJFoeth wrote:
Ah, I see. Well, just wait; can't be much longer now before they release a 350 set.

Well I hope so! Trumpeter's products come quite late all the times.

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:57 am
Posts: 313
Not sure if you could get away with it, but have a set of brass "Hood" barrels.
You would be one short but i am sure you could find another "somewhere".
You would need an electron microscope to spot the different caliber.
PM me if you are interested. Free to you if you want them.
Tim.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Timhan wrote:
Not sure if you could get away with it, but have a set of brass "Hood" barrels.
You would be one short but i am sure you could find another "somewhere".
You would need an electron microscope to spot the different caliber.
PM me if you are interested. Free to you if you want them.
Tim.

Thanks for your kind offer, Tim! :jump_1: I will ask Maarten Schönfeld first if the 15" barrels will really compensate for the 16". I will let you know later.

Thanks,
Aop

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:33 am
Posts: 98
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Aop Aur wrote:
Hi all.
I am looking for a set of 1/350 Nelson class 16" barrels for my Lion class project, but all I could find is B&D barrel one. The price is $30, which is expensive comparing to others. So can anyone recommend any other brands that produce this, or someone who does custom turned brass barrels like Steve Nuttal (only sadly he passed away)?
:smallsmile:
TIA,
Aop


Hello Aop,

1/200 16" barrels are available (originally for the out-of-production Gomix/Fly Model paper model). Try here...

http://sklep.gpm.pl/en/accessories/barr ... 152-8-x120

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-ship ... -rb-200l12

Regards,
Lindsay


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Thanks for the reply Lindsay. That one is 1/200 and I need 1/350. I have contacted Master Models the possibility of scaling up their 1/700 version, they said they didn't have any plans yet. Maybe I'll try contacting RB models and Lufa for a downscaled version of their 1/200...

Thanks,
Aop

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:44 pm
Posts: 680
Location: Herk-de-Stad, Belgium
Aop Aur wrote:
Thanks for your kind offer, Tim! :jump_1: I will ask Maarten Schönfeld first if the 15" barrels will really compensate for the 16". I will let you know later.

Thanks,
Aop

Hi Aop,

I'm afraid it won't work, the 16" guns are appreciably larger than the 15" ones. Currently I see no alternative for the expensive set from B&D. Maybe if you search around you might find them somewhat cheaper, Free Time hobbies sell them for $27.
Maarten

_________________
"There are more planes in the ocean, than submarines in the sky" - old carrier sailor


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Aop Aur wrote:
Thanks for your kind offer, Tim! :jump_1: I will ask Maarten Schönfeld first if the 15" barrels will really compensate for the 16". I will let you know later.

Thanks,
Aop

Hi Aop,

I'm afraid it won't work, the 16" guns are appreciably larger than the 15" ones. Currently I see no alternative for the expensive set from B&D. Maybe if you search around you might find them somewhat cheaper, Free Time hobbies sell them for $27.
Maarten

Thanks for the reply Maarten! Sorry I intended to email you about the barrels earlier, but didn't do so. $27 is still high, though. Like EJ said I would better wait for the Nelsons to be released and then an aftermarket manufacturer to produce a set pf barrels for them.
:wave_1:
Cheers,
Aop

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 am
Posts: 966
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Hello all,
I wanted to gather some lines drawings of the Nelson class turrets, and so far they are usable, but not the best. I wanted to ask if anyone has plans from National Maritime Museum, so I could get a copy, or buy a copy. I am going to design 3D turrets of this class, so helps will be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbs_up_1:
Aop

_________________
On the way:
--1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm
Posts: 4
i am building trumpeter 1/200 hms rodney. kit has no photos or information on superstructure rigging for flag and pendants.
have looked on internet found some photos but cannot increase size to see how it is set for rigging on ship.
any help would be appreciated.

thank you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm
Posts: 4
i am building the 1/200 scale hms rodney and no information on instructions on how to rig wires on superstructures for flags. i would like to see a close up of rigging , been on internet can't see rigging clearly. i am going to use fine copper strand wire, basic no weight or strain, hopefully. may paint wire black, or thread.
thanks
intrepid


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bill Livingston and 4 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group