The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:01 am 

Depends on airplane and load. I've been trying to figure this out for the Essex class book for a couple of years.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:42 pm 

What was the deck markings colour at the time of the battle of midway.

Some models I've seen show white and some yellow.

Does anyone have a top view diagram showing the markings.

Brian

"starter of many, finisher of none"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:43 pm 

To the best of my knowledge they followed the Sam standard for deck marking as CV-8 (which where painted over just before Midway on CV-8) with the markings being white. Although the markings were slightly different between the two ships. And CV-6 also had her number on the fore and aft sections of the flight deck in what appears to my eye to be a darker shade of blue than the deck stain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:43 pm 

bmkerr wrote:
What was the deck markings colour at the time of the battle of midway.
Some models I've seen show white and some yellow.

Just after she started staining the flightdeck blue in 1941, she had fat yellow dashes in two rows. By March of '42, the dashes were much narrower, but the color can't be determined from the B&W photos. From March '42 until just before Midway, there were two lines of dashes from the forward round down to the after round down, aligned exactly with the catapults. There was a centerline dashed line from the front of elevator #1 to the back of elevator #2. After Midway, the side dashes started at the after ends of the cats and went to the aft round down. Otherwise, the pattern was unchanged. The side dashes went to the forward round down at least until late late May of '42. The Midway photos are not clear about whether they were still on the cats or not. Clear overheads in July '42 show no dashes on the cats. Dashes were generally yellow or light gray in '42. The switch to white I believe came later in the war. Tracy White probably has that in his documentation somewhere. There were NO flightdeck numbers prior to 1943, and probably none until her '43 refit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:29 am 

OK, I don't have all of my documentation on this posted yet, but did have a new one go up earlier this month. The yellow lines Dick mentioned were hold overs from the prewar mahogany flight deck stain with yellow solid lines. When they started painting the flight decks blue (first experiments with flight deck camouflage in the Pacific fleet in 1941 were done with paint, not stain, which was found to be TOTALLY unacceptable. Planes were slipping around on wet decks even when chocked), they simply kept the yellow markings. When the first stains were approved, they were designed to match deck blue for the deck color and Ocean Gray for the lines. Note that these were not Norfolk 250 /251 or Flight Deck Stain 21. However, in July of 1942 Directives for the new Essex class carriers were released that called for 250-N and 251-N and a late 1942 document shows the Navy desiring those to colors to match 20-B and 5-O. Those are the colors desired in the purest sense.

Enterprise was note a pristine ship by the Battle of Midway. She had undergone many paint experiments prior to the way and had been very busy during it. Maybe they had problems with colors covering the old yellow lines and used white paint. Maybe they used regular Ocean Gray. I can say quite confidently what the Navy brass wanted but not what the ship's force was able to carry out.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:05 pm 

I've painted my enterprise flat white deck markings as Tracy stated that the Enterprise was not in great shape at the time of Midway.

Brian

"starter of many, finisher of none"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:14 am 

Free Time Hobbies have up for pre-order Infini Models' Detail Up Set for Merit's 1/350 USS Enterprise CV-6

http://freetimehobbies.com/1-350-infini ... -preorder/

From the photos it looks a nice set with a cost of $239.95 USD and does not include the wood deck. There is 2 deck sets sold separately, one in teak and the other blue for a further $69.95 USD.

I checked Infini Models' website but they have no details/pics about these sets listed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:15 am 

I'm sure it will be very similar to their Yorktown sets, which looked outstanding. Placed my order yesterday. With all the aftermarket and reference material I am accumulating for this build, coupled with my slow build pace, I may be looking at a decade to complete! But really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:09 am 

rotley wrote:
Free Time Hobbies have up for pre-order Infini Models' Detail Up Set for Merit's 1/350 USS Enterprise CV-6

From the photos it looks a nice set with a cost of $239.95 USD and does not include the wood deck. There is 2 deck sets sold separately, one in teak and the other blue for a further $69.95 USD.

I checked Infini Models' website but they have no details/pics about these sets listed.

It's a long time since the last time they updated the website. Many of their new products are still not on that website. But the new detail up set for CV-6 will be released soon. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:41 pm 

It appears the buttresses and supports of the flight deck at the bow and stern of the Yorktowns was painted in the same color as the vertical camouflage. What was the underside of the flight deck/overhead painted?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:57 pm 

Depends on the camouflage. Solid schemes (Measure 21) it would be the same color as the vertical surfaces (i.e. Navy Blue). When in Dazzle, countershading was often in effect (white). I don't have any good Enterprise shots handy, but the Essexes had countershading on their dazzle schemes.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm 

Thanks, Tracy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:20 pm 

Did Enterprise show any hull numbers in Oct.-Nov. 1942? Most of the pictures I have viewed have none visible.
Walt Haynes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:31 pm 

whaynes wrote:
Did Enterprise show any hull numbers in Oct.-Nov. 1942? Most of the pictures I have viewed have none visible.

Hull numbers were applied to most ships from late 1941 on. Lexington, Saratoga, Yorktown and Hornet had them fore and aft, and Ranger had them forward. So I am surprised that Enterprise did not seem to show any, although neither did Wasp. Flight deck numbers first appeared in 1943 when there were enough Essex class ships in commission to confuse the pilots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm 

I traded a buddy of mine for a Merit 1/350 Yorktown but I really want to do a Midway Enterprise. Has this been addressed on this board? If so, please show me the way...

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 pm 

FreetimeHobbies has listed a "pre-order" for a 1/700 Trumpeter USS Enterprise CV6 Aircraft Carrier and also a VC-5 Yorktown. Anybody know anything about'em? Hope not another "Hornet" kit.
Thanks. Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 pm 

P.S. I believe Academy is also releasing a 1/700 kit:

Title: USS Enterprise CV-6
Number: 14224
Scale: 1:700
Type: Full kit

Jim.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:07 am 

Nino wrote:
FreetimeHobbies has listed a "pre-order" for a 1/700 Trumpeter USS Enterprise CV6 Aircraft Carrier and also a VC-5 Yorktown. Anybody know anything about'em? Hope not another "Hornet" kit.
Thanks. Jim.

They're in the catalog for this year. They should be based on the CAD done for the Merit 1/350 Yorktown.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:17 am 

Thanks Timmy! Sand down the hull a bit and it should be a good kit.
Jim.

Last edited by Nino on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:20 am 

So.... Then will these (Yorktown and Enterprise) have the bow corrected from the older Trumpeter kits that had the fat bows?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 49  Next