The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:39 am 

I think that's this version: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10257715a/20/1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:59 pm 

Timmy C wrote:

exactly, that's the one I have

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 pm 

Thx for researching that, Timmy. It looks like the Mutsu 1941 or '42 kit. You'd have to backtrack through the W-I-P to find one for Nagato or Mutsu as they are nearly identical. Plenty of wood decks and barrels out there. GMM & Tom's make IJN BB PE sets with some parts for this class. Lionroar make a comprehensive PE set for the early war Nagato. Other PE is available as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:31 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Quote:
but i am completely new to wooden decks, and dont know if it is the best choice. i would like to hear some opinions on this, or if some other brand is recommended.

I wonder if this is a more general question that can be answered on the main board. Hasegawa generally provides excellent accessories for its 1/350 kits, but I wouldn't have specific knowledge about the decks. You probably need to ask if anyone has had experience with Hasegawa decking vs. some of the others available. I'm sure Artwox and Woodhunter, among others, have decks for this kit.

generally it is about which wooden deck to pick, but if this was the correct place to ask, i dont know.
but while searching for info and photos of the Hasegawa deck, i found another option for deck: Voyager/Blue Star Admiral, that is a little cheaper and much easier for me to get than the Hasegawa deck. i cant find much info about it, but i am considering it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:00 am 

Does anyone have a 1/350 Nagato and can measure the height, width and length of the funnels?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:59 am 

I was just wondering if the Hasegawa Japanese Navy Ship Equipment Set C - IJN Nagato Twin 41cm Gun Turret was an improvement on what comes with the standard kit.

Here's a link to Hannants (if allowed? If not, please delete it, Mods.)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HA40087

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:50 am 

Quote:
I was just wondering if the Hasegawa Japanese Navy Ship Equipment Set C - IJN Nagato Twin 41cm Gun Turret was an improvement on what comes with the standard kit.

I sincerely doubt it. Hasegawa most likely just released the kit turret sprues as an aftermarket item. Not sure why. Maybe to aid in all those scratch-building 1/350 Tosa and Amagi class projects. :smallsmile:

Quote:
Does anyone have a 1/350 Nagato and can measure the height, width and length of the funnels?

I don't. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:04 pm 

Thanks, Dan! Saves me some money there....

(which will probably go on brass barrels for her, if it needs em.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:05 pm 

Following up on my last enquiry, I had a look in the box at that Set C & it IS the kit plastic.

Save ya pennies, people....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm 

Atma wrote:
Early 1941 till mid 1943. Please tell us your impression of the kit when you got it !
In my opinion IJN Nagato and IJN Mutsu from Fujimi are the best IJN Nagato class battleships in the market in 1/700.

Sorry to quote you way out of time and out of context (you said that in 2011) but does that still hold true? What about the new tool Aoshima (I think that was already out then)? I ask because I remember building a 1/700 Aoshima Mutsu and being generally impressed with the kit although I made a bit of a mess of it and have since given it away. I'm after re-instating the class in my collection in late war fit. I'm torn between Fujimi finesse but pain in the a** construction and the generally sharp and comfortable but perhaps less detailed Aoshima. Can you give a more detailed run-down comparing the two kits?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:55 am 

Vlad wrote:
Atma wrote:
Early 1941 till mid 1943. Please tell us your impression of the kit when you got it !
In my opinion IJN Nagato and IJN Mutsu from Fujimi are the best IJN Nagato class battleships in the market in 1/700.

Sorry to quote you way out of time and out of context (you said that in 2011) but does that still hold true? What about the new tool Aoshima (I think that was already out then)?

Hello, yes I was speaking about the new Fujimi N class versus the NEW TOOLED Aoshima's N class, I will point out 4 major flaws on the Retooled Aoshima IJN Nagato class and Im speaking about the WWII Aoshima versions of IJN Nagato and IJN Mutsu not for the late 1920's ones(So far only IJN Nagato in two different versions, still waiting for an as build IJN Mutsu :big_grin: ) :
1) Oversimplification of the search light platform around the single large funnel, to be on acceptable level some minor scratch building is required, IMO.
2)Pagoda as above
3)Aft bridge, simple put, is crude compared to Fujimi's.And Im speaking about the base of the bridge not the mast's.
4)Fujimi's IJN Mutsu has the correct bow difference between IJN Nagato and IJN Mutsu.
And to get to my point I was comparing Fujimi's and Aoshima's offering for an out of the box build. The thing that most modellers scared of IJN Nagato class from Fujimi is how to actually remove the pars from the sprue's, cause some parts are really delicate and "awkward" attached on the sprue's.Of course not a problem for a 2+years of experience modeller I suspect.
Aoshima in 2013 or 2014 I think, re-released the IJN Nagato class(along with a nice 1945 version), that had RE-retooled parts, not the whole model.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:00 am 

Dan K wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no pre-modernized version in 1/350 scale. That would be pretty cool, though.

The plans probably exist in Japanese sources; I'm not aware of any that have been published by Western publishers.

IJN Mutsu late 1920's(turned back funnel era) plans are damaged, so I informed.On the other hand they are plenty sources for IJN Nagato.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 pm 

Thanks Atma. I've built some of Fujimi's newer kits with similar fine parts and I'm impressed with the results although I wouldn't always choose them over alternative kits of the same ship, all else being equal. I'll double check the simplifications on the Aoshima Nagato. My main gripe is Fujimi's Nagato is early war but I'm sure I can scratch build some AA gun tubs and I have spares for the guns themselves. I'm also eyeing up that 1927 Nagato, obviously I'm spoiled for choice but I don't really want multiple Nagatos at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 pm 

Perhaps an odd question, but are there good photographic references on the Nagato as she appeared in Tokyo Bay at the end of the war? I've found a few photos on line and some grainy low-resolution video but that's about it.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 pm 

ninjrk wrote:
Perhaps an odd question, but are there good photographic references on the Nagato as she appeared in Tokyo Bay at the end of the war? I've found a few photos on line and some grainy low-resolution video but that's about it.

The Classic Warships pictorial on the Nagato-class has some nice pics, including some taken on board.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:55 am 

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
ninjrk wrote:

The Classic Warships pictorial on the Nagato-class has some nice pics, including some taken on board.

Sweet, thank you. Just ordered it.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:09 am 

Are you looking for details, full views, both?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 am 

Dan K wrote:
Are you looking for details, full views, both?

Both, really. My wife got me a 1/350 kit and I'm thinking of doing something different with it and going for the partially sunk example.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:03 pm 

That would be cool. There's a lot of photos out there, particularly in private collections. Even the Life archive looks to have some.

Attachments:
Nagato post A-bomb test - LIFE mag.jpg
Nagato post A-bomb test - LIFE mag.jpg [ 178.49 KiB | Viewed 5781 times ]
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:35 am 

ninjrk wrote:
I'm thinking of doing something different with it and going for the partially sunk example.

You're in luck...the book you just ordered has a FANTASTIC broadside pic of Nagato slowly sinking after Test Baker. It's one of the last pics ever taken of her.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next