The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 pm 

Updated video posted on the YouTube channel, enjoy.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
1/700 scale rebuild of diorama project 960 square feet.
(Table 1 underway)Feb.2017
1/350 USS ALASKA CB-1(started Aug. 2017) 70% completed

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:19 pm 

Well things are moving along with the diorama project, Today I have Primed all the land mass areas with a "Concert" color primer, yes, it is going to require another coat but hey it is going to look nice. I have also recoated the blemishes in the wood and the newly installed dry docks with wood filler, once these areas are dry I will be going back and sanding them smooth and touch up any areas that need attention with wood filler. I was online earlier today doing some research and I finally came across a map of the crane tracks I've been looking for, I've been looking for months now. So once everything is dry and ready for detail work to start I will be mapping out those tracks. I am going to make a gauge to line them out so that they are perfectly separated from one another.

The rest of the week I am going to be focusing on scratch building some of the large buildings that are around the shipyard. I really need to get these things going. I just wish I had someone around here locally who would what to dive head first into this project, :eyebrows: :eyebrows: any takers????? No, seriously, I do have a massive amount of work to do as well as a few videos to shoot for my sponsor, I will be posting some pictures here on the forum later tonight of what progress has been made.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can make my videos better and general questions regarding the diorama, guys please let me know, I want to improve the videos and your feedback is helpful to improve things. Also, your support in following this project is greatly appreciated, and please subscribe to my channel so that you get notices when a new video is posted there. Guys, Thanks a bunch and I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their build and having a great week.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 pm 

Product review video is now up on the channel.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:07 pm 

Well things have been a little slower this past week, but progress has been made. I have finished painting the land mass area all concrete color and it looks pretty good, I actually just finished the last of it, and now I am waiting for it to dry so I can start the landscape work around the mountain area I'm adding. I did finally get the back bracing cut out to a nice shape to accept the terrain of the landscape. I have spent the last two days scratch building a control tower for the shipyard, it is a combination of brass, styrene, and green crystal poly, so combining all these different mediums was a bit of a challenge but it has finally all came together, today was primer and paint for it and I'm very pleased with the results, really happy when the LED is on. I am waiting on the matt cote to dry and once it is I will hook it up to the power supply and light it up so I can get some pictures and post them for everyone.

I have also started work on a large building for the shipyard, need to get some detail work done on that and add the roof, then it is off to prime and paint, once its finished I will be adding the LED lighting to it as well, so I lots of irons in the fire all at once and getting little things finished is rewarding at this point in time. I am planning to get some of the layout work done tomorrow on the right side dry dock area, the (6) dry dock side, I have primed all those dry docks and they are ready for paint and weathering, which is going to be somewhat time consuming, I am planning to do a video of the weathering practices I do and maybe help someone else out with that tutorial.

Well like I said lots of little thing going on all at once but at least something is going on. I will be back soon with some pictures and another update. Take care.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 pm 

Attachment:
0226172039 (113x200).jpg
0226172039 (113x200).jpg [ 34.99 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Attachment:
0226172039a (113x200).jpg
0226172039a (113x200).jpg [ 35.46 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Attachment:
0226172039b (113x200).jpg
0226172039b (113x200).jpg [ 38.56 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Attachment:
0226172040 (113x200).jpg
0226172040 (113x200).jpg [ 37.53 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

Attachment:
0226172040a (200x113).jpg
0226172040a (200x113).jpg [ 31.46 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

These are pictures of the control tower I scratch built for the shipyard, it turned out pretty good, I am going to build a few more and do a tutorial on how I made them.

Sorry, edit here.............Forgot to mention video update posted on my YouTube channel, it's brief but its an update. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:19 am 

Hey guys,
I am going to be away from the forum for the next several days, as I am leaving tomorrow for the bitter cold of the windy city of Chicago, I am going up to Great Lakes Naval Recruit Training Center to see my daughter graduate from boot camp on Friday. I am planning to be back this coming Sunday, and will be back posting early next week, my son is down from DC to go with us to RTC, and when we get back he is going to teach me proper video and editing so hopefully the youtube videos will get better.

But I have made nice progress with the diorama over the last two days and will be posting pictures next week as well. So, until I return everyone take care and have a great day.

Attachment:
gieo5E6zT.jpg
gieo5E6zT.jpg [ 33.29 KiB | Viewed 1723 times ]

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:41 am 

Well today is the big day, my daughter graduates from boot camp here at Great Lakes, becoming a third generation sailor, as a dad I am very proud of her, giving up two full ride scholarships to UNC and NCSU because she felt being in the navy was the best thing for her right now, as a veteran myself and having two sons who are Marines I welcome her to the brother/sisterhood of veterans whom gladly put it on the line for everyone and still do.

So, join me my fellow vets here in welcoming SN Kayla Varnell to the family.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:21 pm 

While not a veteran, I'm happy to share your joy at your daughter's milestone! Here's to a worthy and successful career for her!

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:40 pm 

Thank you Sean

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 pm 

Well just returned home from Great Lakes last night (5 long days of COLD A@@ WEATHER) and things are getting back to normal, so I will have more progress updates for everyone this week.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 pm 

hey everyone,

Well just starting to get the itch to do some work on the diorama, had a bad case of travel blues to get over, I have not had the energy to do much of anything with the diorama, but I am feeling much better and I am in the hobby room right now getting ready to start the landscape work on the mountains. Also, I am going to repaint the concrete surfaces as needed in areas that need it. I am planning to have a new video posted this weekend for those who are interested in the progress, also I have started a new topic of the diorama fleet that you can see all the vessels in completed state that are for the diorama as well.

I have two primary goals that need to be completed by this weekend concerning the diorama, (1) Get the main bus wiring done, and (2) finish the terrain scape area. If I am able to get both of these accomplished then I am moving forward with the rail systems and crane tracks. I know it doesn't sound like much but they are key things to get done as soon as possible so I can get the lighting going.

So, stay tuned in and I'll post pictures tonight.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: Mountain terrain of diorama
DSCF2216 (200x149).jpg
DSCF2216 (200x149).jpg [ 100.39 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]

This is some creative liberty I took with the diorama, yes I know NNSY does NOT have mountains but I wanted some terrain added for appearance sake.
Attachment:
File comment: View #2
DSCF2217 (200x149).jpg
DSCF2217 (200x149).jpg [ 97.66 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]

I have used a combination of plaster rocks (Made from a rock mold) and plaster imbedded cloth for the mountains, Now onto the greenery
Attachment:
File comment: Crane track outline
DSCF2218 (200x149).jpg
DSCF2218 (200x149).jpg [ 119.7 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]

If you look at reference pictures of NNSY the crane tracks are outlined in yellow as kind of a warning system for traffic and personnel around the cranes.
Attachment:
File comment: My son Chris giving the ol' man a hand while home on leave
DSCF2219 (200x149).jpg
DSCF2219 (200x149).jpg [ 113.49 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]

As always your comments and questions are always welcome.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm 

Hi Jim

I'm sure I speak for many here when I say that I am absolutely gobsmacked by the vast scope of your project....it is draw-droppingly (new word?) immense. Your dedication and sheer industriousness are outstanding. Truly an epic undertaking. Well done indeed!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:01 pm 

Jim, Hat's off for you man. That some dio! It's way better than my brother's train layout! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 pm 

warspite63 wrote:
Hi Jim

I'm sure I speak for many here when I say that I am absolutely gobsmacked by the vast scope of your project....it is draw-droppingly (new word?) immense. Your dedication and sheer industriousness are outstanding. Truly an epic undertaking. Well done indeed!

Thank you very much for those kind words, I am honored by so many here on modelwarships.com for following along this journey and it is my sincerest hope that my work inspires others to join in the hobby weather it be warships, planes, armor or whatever they desire.

gtbred wrote:
Jim, Hat's off for you man. That some dio! It's way better than my brother's train layout! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thank you so much red, you sir inspire me to keep plugging away to improve at every aspect of what we do. Again thank you for showing your support for this project.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 pm 

Well I must confess I did not get anything done over the past couple of days, after returning from Great Lakes and recovering from that massive trip, I came down with what is commonly known as the Chicago crud, and if anyone who was in the navy and when to Great Lakes for boot camp, you know what I am talking about. I still have a touch of it and the CNC grounded me from doing much of nothing. She told me to get well before I screw something up with the wiring :dead: :dead: She said I work much better when I am focused on the task at hand and that being sick is not allowing me to focus. So, I have been sweating this crud out and feeling a bit better, so I am hopeful to get in the hobby room tomorrow and get something done with this project, right now I will be happy to get the landscaping completed so I can focus on the pier work and wiring.

I will have some new progress shots later this week and I will also do an updated video on my YouTube channel as well. Again Thank you everyone for following along with this massive project.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 am 

Hi there everyone,

Well yesterday I ordered a bunch of materials for the lighting of the diorama, LED's, Fiber optics, and all the other materials needed for that kind of work. Right now, I'm running the main bust wiring and getting the terminals installed. I am hopeful to get this done today and start getting the first of the lighting installed around the landscape, I am doing a batch of light poles to define the base area around the mountains. I also nearly completed the foliage on the mountains but ran out of trees, so I will be getting more of those in the coming weeks to finish that off (Not a big rush on that right now).

I will have new pictures posted tonight after I complete work for the day, so check back and see where things are tonight.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm 

Good evening everyone,

Well first off let say I am sorry I did not get the pictures posted as I had hoped to do, I got caught up in working on several small task that by the time I had finished I was to tired to shoot the pictures. Needless to say I am planning to get some made tomorrow.

So, what's been going on with the diorama? Well, I made 6 LED/Fiber Optic bundles, 55 light poles, ran the main bust wiring and terminal blocks for most of the electrical connections that are going to be made. I installed the6 bundles and ran them into the light poles around the mountain area, glued the poles in place as well as the fiber optics. All of them are tied into amber LED's and they all work pretty darn good, the effect I was trying to get turned out just fine.

I'm waiting on more materials to come in so that I can continue with the lighting, but I have a bunch of paint work to finish up first, I am planning to finish the dry docks and crane tracks tomorrow, then start plotting out the rail system and getting that in place over the week and weekend. That was something I did not do on the first diorama as I had not planned things out as well as I have this time.
I have made myself a "to do" list of things that I need to finish before I move onto anything new, including new builds.

I spent the better part of last night working on my aircraft inventory and seeing what I need to finish there as well, I currently have 1055 aircraft for the diorama of various types, several are built but I have not taken the time to get the paint work done on them, so I have devised myself a plan to correct so many "half finished" builds of the aircraft, I will work on the diorama table itself during the daytime (4 to 6) hours at the time, and in the evening I will work on the aircraft.

Right now I am working on (15) CH-53 SEA STALLIONS, these are very generic no details at all on these, so I am "dressing" them up a bit, adding a fuel probe, new rotor head, external fuel drop tanks, and PE rotor and tail prop. I am doing "detail" paint work on these to give some effects to them as well, I will be decaling these with basic decals from Microscale. Once I am finished with these I am going to move on to other aircraft that I have built but need to be finished, I will continue to do this until I have all the aircraft I have already built completed before I start fresh builds, out of 350 or so aircraft I have built I have somewhere around 150 to 175 to finish up.

Until next time fellows take care. Happy Modeling!!!!!!!!!!

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:09 pm 

Hi there everyone,
Well things are starting to arrive that I had to order and I have been busy getting some of the smaller task completed, things that I set aside to complete at a later date. I have finally completed the USS NEW YORK LPD-21, and the JMSDF ASAGUMO DD-115. I am still working on one of my Orange Hobbies NEWPORT CLASS LST's (USS RACINE LST-1191) most likely. But I have been working feverously on what seems like hundreds and hundreds of aircraft. I have been getting most of them painted and prepped for decals. currently I believe I have some 450 aircraft needing decals. I have decaled a mere 24 AV-8H Harriers with basic markings but that's about all.

In regards to the diorama (table 1) things are looking pretty good, lighting work was started and works great. The fiber optics I am using 1.0mm I had to order more and they arrived so I will be able to continue on that. The mountain terrain is completed and work is starting to proceed on the shipyard itself. I am getting the rail system laid out and will continue in that area until complete.
I have been doing some work into animatronics and seeing how I can incorporate that into crane functions, right now at best I can most likely get the cranes to rotate. That part is pretty time consuming and I am not sure just how many I will incorporate with the animatronics.

Now, I know I need to get pictures posted of the work so far, as well as posting more videos on my YouTube channel but I want the next round of updates to really show a ton of progress. Which by doing this project all by myself presents a challenge to get the amount of work done that I what to show. I am working on it though.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 pm 

Well I know I have been promising for a while to show something and I guess I will, although its not all finished up yet but at least I can show what I am doing with this monster....... :heh:
I have been working on several things all at once to get the most bang for my buck as the ol' saying goes. I have had to put a few things on hold as I am waiting on some things still to come in from China, we all know how long it takes to get things from there. I am going to be working on more of the buildings I have to build so I can get the wiring done for the lighting, thank God I got in most of my LED's I needed for these to be done.

I have been toying around with placement of some buildings to get an idea of where things are going to fit and to make sure that they are going to work in those placements. I have several PE building sets to build, prime and paint, and once I get those done I will attach the lighting and set them in place, then I can focus on all the other details needed to make this thing come to life. I am setting a realistic goal of 2 months to get these built and installed.

Well here are the pictures and I hope you guys like what is going on here and please post your comments, questions, and suggestions, I can use all the support I can get with this project and I will also be seeking out someone in the near future to help out with a bit of decal work on the aircraft I have built as there is no way I can get them all completed by myself. So, all you guys who offered help in the past I just might be asking for your help, and if you can help with the decal work, I will supply the aircraft, and decals, you supply the labor :cool_2: :thumbs_up_1:

Attachment:
0414172244b (250x141).jpg
0414172244b (250x141).jpg [ 54.96 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The rail system finding its way into the mix.
0414172244a (141x250).jpg
0414172244a (141x250).jpg [ 47.83 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The first of the details are starting to make an appearance on this massive project.
0414172244 (141x250).jpg
0414172244 (141x250).jpg [ 57.35 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
0414172245 (250x141).jpg
0414172245 (250x141).jpg [ 52.84 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
0414172245a (250x141).jpg
0414172245a (250x141).jpg [ 51.5 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Overview of the far left side of the diorama
0414172245b (250x141).jpg
0414172245b (250x141).jpg [ 55.09 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
0414172245c (250x141).jpg
0414172245c (250x141).jpg [ 63.95 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
0414172245d (250x141).jpg
0414172245d (250x141).jpg [ 53.82 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The dry dock crane track mapping is finished
0414172246 (250x141).jpg
0414172246 (250x141).jpg [ 54.18 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Again guys I hope you like the work so far and as always your comments, questions and suggestions are most welcomed.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next