The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:04 am 

As promised, I got paint mixed up yesterday after work. I made the mix using model master acrylics Dark Sea Blue and mixing it with some other blues and white to lighten it up. In these pictures is looks closer to 5N, but in the sun it looks right to me. I compared it to the Testors Sea Blue enamel that Randy (tegunn) has said is a good match for 5S, and they are very close.

ImageIMG_6352_zpsn4qsscol by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6353_zpsa9taob6l by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6355_zpsqjihsds6 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6356_zpsxhlwpmst by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

I used the small parts I had ready for paint to test the color. Since everything looks good I can proceed with painting the hull, hopefully I will get that done this week.

Things will start progressing quickly now! All the main superstructure and other topside parts (minus the main armament) are ready to be painted. For now the plan looks to be painting the hull & superstructure, placing the wood decks, and then detailing the superstructure. Should be fun!

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

Last edited by hondaman117 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 pm 

Hi Nelson:

I like your docking keels, even though they are not readily apparent, I think it will add to the overall appearance. I can imagine how fiddly they were to put on and align and you got them on in good order. It is nice to make progress. The blue looks good through the computer screen. Looking forward to the next update.

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am 

Hi Nelson....sorry for not commenting sooner but been away from the internet for a little while.

Anyways.. The Keels look good buddy! It's all the small details that make these builds great. And with all the previous Arizona builds....each one gets better and better as more detail is added and the knowledge base increases.
Looking forward to the next installment.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 am 

Hello all,

I was able to get the hull into paint the other night! Took a bit of time for masking the waterline but once that was done it went quickly.

ImageIMG_6357_zpsmsgbwmdz by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6359_zpshczuhio2 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6360_zpsngdvlmly by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

As you can see I had some issues with the masking tape pulling off the paint on the port side. This should not be a huge issue, i'll respray the blue and use a razor blade as a mask instead of tape. I'll hopefully get that fixed tonight and spray some clear on the hull to protect it. Happy to see her with some color!

More updates coming soon...

Future Projects:
All of them!

Last edited by hondaman117 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 pm 

Looking good!

I reduce the tack sometimes by putting the tape across the back of my hand or arm to pick up some oils to reduce the tack. Helps a lot to prevent the paint from pulling up.

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:05 pm 

gott_cha wrote:
Hi Nelson....sorry for not commenting sooner but been away from the internet for a little while.

Anyways.. The Keels look good buddy! It's all the small details that make these builds great. And with all the previous Arizona builds....each one gets better and better as more detail is added and the knowledge base increases.
Looking forward to the next installment.

No problem! Thanks for checking it out.

Jon wrote:
Looking good!

I reduce the tack sometimes by putting the tape across the back of my hand or arm to pick up some oils to reduce the tack. Helps a lot to prevent the paint from pulling up.

Jon,

I've used that tactic before and it does work. I think in this case I got a little impatient and didn't let the paint dry long enough before masking for the boot stripe. Lesson learned, stop being impatient hahaha.

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 pm 

Greetings,

I was able to get the paint repaired and sealed with clear coat this week! :woo_hoo:

ImageIMG_6362_zpstshsbdsf by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

The next day after the clear hardened I installed the wooden deck on the forecastle deck, boat deck, and main decks. Not wanting to start another debate on Arizona colors, I painted the casemate floors in deck gray instead of linoleum brown. Just my opinion, even though we were not at war yet on Dec. 7th the fleet was being prepared for war, hence the exterior camouflage. I think the linoleum decks would have been removed or painted, so I went with the deck gray and it looks good to me. May not be right, but that's how my model is now haha.

ImageIMG_6364_zps6q2kxb4f by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

I also got the deck gray on the superstructure decks, they are now ready for railings and detailing.

ImageIMG_6365_zps0rilsnbi by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

At the end of the night I dry fitted them to make sure everything looked good still. I also experimented with adding windows to the superstructure, I like how it turned out.

ImageIMG_6366_zpsjwe07mc9 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

I feel like lots of progress was made this week. I still have a ways to go, but having the hull in color really makes it seem like the end is in sight. Then I remember I have to build and detail all of the ships boats still...

Thanks for stopping by!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Last edited by hondaman117 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 pm 

Hi Nelson:

Looking good! It is always nice to get some paint on the plastic, seems like a major step in the progress meter. I think the grey decks look fine and you may even be correct as there was an order to paint them grey during that time frame.

Boats and don't forget the aircraft. The fun meter will just keep pegging to the right of zero.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:23 pm 

Mgunns wrote:
Hi Nelson:

Looking good! It is always nice to get some paint on the plastic, seems like a major step in the progress meter. I think the grey decks look fine and you may even be correct as there was an order to paint them grey during that time frame.

Boats and don't forget the aircraft. The fun meter will just keep pegging to the right of zero.

Thanks Mark!

And that's the benefit of doing a Dec. 7th build, the birds were ashore on Ford Island so I don't need them! hahaha

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:37 am 

Hello everyone,

Been making some good progress lately. Last week I was able to get a bunch of parts in paint and they are ready to be installed when the time comes. I took a trip to San Diego over the weekend, so this update was delayed until now.

ImageIMG_6438_zpsrw18fsd8 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

I put the WEM anchor plates onto the bow, just need to go back for touch ups and to add the anchor stays from the Big Ed set.

ImageIMG_6437_zpsrv2mbwun by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

I got the funnel mostly completed, just needs the AA guns added to it. I also got most of the parts in 5L that required it. I put them on to make sure everything looked good still, I'm pleased with how it looks so far!

ImageIMG_6441_zpswdbxc3ai by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

Also put the cranes on for fun.

ImageIMG_6442_zps3p837qvn by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

The superstructure is looking good, now I need to work on getting all the railings painted and installed. I'm going to try to complete the main mast and superstructure before moving on to the main armament. After that is should be just the boats and the remaining small details.

ImageIMG_6443_zpsj31rwnie by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

More progress to come soon!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Last edited by hondaman117 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:29 pm 

Nelson, looking pretty darn good! The overall color looks great. The trouble is starting too blue, then it's really off when you highlight the details with weathering powders. The Testors color I used was darn close and didn't get too blue afterwards. If a different ship was modeled, and it was normally weathered, it would be a lighter blue. 5S tended to fade rather quickly..

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:36 am 

Nice work, Nelson. I like the jury rigged clothes pins and clamps to hold the cranes - clever!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 am 

tegunn wrote:
Nelson, looking pretty darn good! The overall color looks great. The trouble is starting too blue, then it's really off when you highlight the details with weathering powders. The Testors color I used was darn close and didn't get too blue afterwards. If a different ship was modeled, and it was normally weathered, it would be a lighter blue. 5S tended to fade rather quickly..

Thanks Randy! For this build there's not going to be any weathering, that's something I've never tired so I don't want to risk ruining such a big kit. I think I'll practice on the 1/350 Fletcher I've got and use that to learn. Your Arizona is looking good in the group build as well!

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Nice work, Nelson. I like the jury rigged clothes pins and clamps to hold the cranes - clever!

Thanks Martin! I'm actually quite proud of that. Born of necessity and makes painting the cranes very easy. I can tilt it very slightly and the crane will pivot around so I can spray any side without having to set it down and get a new grip.

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 pm 

This is coming along nicely. As Randy noted, the color looks great, and good to see some real progress. Looking forward to the next update.

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 am 

Hi Nelson,

I'm just starting on my 1/200 Arizona and love the work you have done on your model.

I would love to add a similar level of detail to my hull that you have achieved and I was wondering if you could offer some advice on the following:

1. What size styrene strips did you use for the straking on the torpedo blisters?
2. What size styrene did you use for the docking keels?

The manner in which you produced the hull plating is amazing. You mentioned using tape to achieve the look. If I may ask, how did you achieve this look?

Many thanks for any advice you may choose to offer.

Good luck with the rest of your build. :thumbs_up_1:

Regards,
Steve

Underway:
1) 1/350 USS Enterprise CV-6
2) 1/200 USS Arizona

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 am 

Mgunns wrote:
This is coming along nicely. As Randy noted, the color looks great, and good to see some real progress. Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks Mark! I have hopes of finishing her up before my busy season at work starts, we'll see if I make it.

Wedgie01 wrote:
Hi Nelson,

I'm just starting on my 1/200 Arizona and love the work you have done on your model.

I would love to add a similar level of detail to my hull that you have achieved and I was wondering if you could offer some advice on the following:

1. What size styrene strips did you use for the straking on the torpedo blisters?
2. What size styrene did you use for the docking keels?

The manner in which you produced the hull plating is amazing. You mentioned using tape to achieve the look. If I may ask, how did you achieve this look?

Many thanks for any advice you may choose to offer.

Good luck with the rest of your build. :thumbs_up_1:

Regards,
Steve

Thanks!

1. For the hull strakes I used Evergreen #122 0.020" x 0.040" strips. Probably overscale, but they look right in person.

2. For the docking keels I used more #122 as well as some #149 0.040" x 0.250" strips. The directions specified using 0.040" sheet which is what I wanted to use but my local hobby shop was out when I went. If I were to do this again I would buy Evergreen sheet 19040, which is 12" x 24" and 0.040" thick. That would let you make the docking keels out of one piece, all of mine are made from several pieces glued together since I didn't have any that were long enough. Maybe on my next Arizona! hahaha

For the hull plating I used the tape and primer method. I laid pieces of tape cut to the size of the plates in an alternating pattern, there's no information that I can find on the sizes of the plates so I made an assumption and went from there. Once all the tape was in place I sprayed two coats of primer on the hull. Let it dry for a little, but while the primer was still soft I peeled off the tape pieces. Then I let the ship sit for a day to fully dry. I thought some of the lines were too deep, so I went over all of them with a sanding stick to make them less pronounced. Then I went over all of the seams with an Xacto knife to sharpen them all up, the primer & tape can leave a slightly jagged edge sometimes. The results are what you've seen in my pictures, not perfect but I'm happy with the results.

I didn't follow his steps exactly, but this video is a good how-to for this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVULb3sOd2w

Good luck, be sure to post pictures once you get going!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:27 am 

Thanks for the detailed answer to my query Nelson.

Greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post photos as I progress. :-)

Underway:
1) 1/350 USS Enterprise CV-6
2) 1/200 USS Arizona

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 am 

hondaman117 wrote:
tegunn wrote:

Thanks Randy! For this build there's not going to be any weathering, that's something I've never tired so I don't want to risk ruining such a big kit. I think I'll practice on the 1/350 Fletcher I've got and use that to learn. Your Arizona is looking good in the group build as well!

MartinJQuinn wrote:

Thanks Martin! I'm actually quite proud of that. Born of necessity and makes painting the cranes very easy. I can tilt it very slightly and the crane will pivot around so I can spray any side without having to set it down and get a new grip.

Nelson, try the Tamiya weathering powders used mostly on armor models. You can't really over-do and if you don't like the results, just Dullcote it and it generally disappears(I found this out by mistake and had to reapply)--Randy

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 am 

tegunn wrote:

Nelson, try the Tamiya weathering powders used mostly on armor models. You can't really over-do and if you don't like the results, just Dullcote it and it generally disappears(I found this out by mistake and had to reapply)--Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into those when the time comes.

As everyone who follows this can tell my build has been on a bit of a hiatus for a while. I've been busy travelling a lot lately and trying to get the engine together for my Mustang project before it's too hot to be outside. I'll be jumping back onto the Arizona soon and will be posting updates in the next few weeks.

Never fear, the thread is not dead!

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 pm 

HI Nelson:

Glad to see you are still around. I guess with the temps what they have been you will soon be back at the bench. Looking forward to your updates.

On the bench:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next