The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 pm 

73north wrote:
I am planning in mid April to build the Trumpeter 1/350 scale HMS Eskimo as HMS Cossack for the 2nd Battle of Narvik
so I am going for Pennant F03 ( changed from L03 in 1938 ) and I plan to add the following aftermarket items
( this might help anyone else who wants to build this ship or 1 of her class ) and rectify the faults in the Model as it stands -

( 1 ) White Ensign Photo-etch WEM 1/350 Tribal Class Destroyer (Trumpeter) (PE 35169
( 2 ) WEM 1/350 HMS Eskimo Boat and Propeller Set (PRO 3534) - this replaces the kit boats that look German
( 3 ) Art-Wox Wooden Deck ( 4 ) BECC White Ensign Fabric Flag ( 5 ) Rainbow Depth Charges 1/350 in brass
( 6 ) https://northstarmodels.com/product/135 ... unt-4-pcs/ -
this is a real beauty to replace the wrong 8 gun pom-pom mounting that these ships never had
( 7 ) Master Model Brass Barrels for 4.7 inch guns ( 8 ) Big Blue Boy 1/350 #35008 WWII British Vickers 0.50 Quad AA Gun
- these 0.5 inch guns look really nice and far better than the kit examples

I think yo will also need to have the X-turret with 4.7in guns replaced by one with 4 inch guns?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 pm 

These from Shapeways look even better than the WEM ones: https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y89CL ... arketplace
I will get them for my Eskimo
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm 

Might want to check. I do not think that the 4.7 mount was replaced as early as Narvik.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:08 pm 

correct as X turret was replace in may following that battle.
May
Repair arranged at J I Thornycroft shipyard at Southampton
Taken in hand for repair
Pennant Number for visual signalling purposes changed to G03.
(Note: Refit work included: installation of Radar Type 286, which was an RAF air/surface equipment modified for naval use and the
first radar outfit to be fitted in RN destroyers. For details of the development and use of radar equipment
in the Royal Navy see RADAR AT SEA by D Howse.)
Twin 4.7in mounting in X position was replaced by twin 4in HA mounting and modifications were made to other
ship services.
http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono ... ssack1.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am 

I am planning to build the WEM 1/350 Tribal kit as Tartar in 1944. I noticed in photos that she carried powered twin 20mm guns fore and aft and single 20mm guns amidships. The latter seem to be in tubs mounted above the elevated deck area between the stacks and I wonder if anyone has more details on this configuration. Why is this, I have not seen this on any other destroyers. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:54 am 

In 1944, TARTAR's single 20mm guns amidships were fitted in the same locations as the as-fitted quadruple 0.5" guns had been, ie one each side, on the platform between the funnels. Not sure if the positions were surrounded by canvas screens or by metal splinter shields - I suspect the latter. They are clearly visible on the photo at http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_di ... rtar_a.jpg. Some other late-war RN Tribal class ships had the same arrangment - see http://www.navyphotos.co.uk/Destroyers% ... dww21b.jpg, as did some of the surviving "A" to "I" class ships - eg http://www.navyphotos.co.uk/Destroyers% ... icrs2b.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 am 

DJF, this is the best photo I am aware of showing this mounting on Tartar.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205155981

It looks as if a circular, stepped Oerlikon platform has been mounted on the original 0.5" platform and then the Oerlikon itself mounted on top of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 am 

Thanks tjstoneman, I had seen the overall photos of Tartar and that is what prompted my question. Dick, that closeup is exactly what I needed. It appears that the stepped platform is surrounded by a canvas screen, not metal as I would have expected but I now have enough info to replicate this area. Thanks again to both of you.
Doug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:23 am 

I have bought the Alliance Model Works 'IJN Destroyer ' Bollards in 1/350 scale - for use on the HMS Eskimo Trumpeter Kit
and they are small , but the detail is far , far superior to the kit bollards - highly recommended for any Destroyer Model in 1/350 scale
another thing added to the Eskimo kit is the Shapeways MicroMaster ( By sozzap23 ) Ship Aftermarket Range - Binoculars
to replace the blobs supplied by Trumpeter . These are the 1/350 Scale WW2 Royal Navy Bridge Binoculars x 16 in 2 heights (8 of each).
These are Highly detailed bridge lookout Binoculars for a wide range of Royal Navy ships. Set contains 2 heights where bridge/lookout walls were higher.
The Taller set has a platform around base for operator. There are Enough sets for several projects.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/micro-master
The Designer - sozzap23 - is very HIGHLY recommended - I have used him for the HMS Vendetta V & W Class Destroyer 1/350 scale Kit
to make bespoke items to convert the Destroyer to one from 1939 , with a refit Bridge , new Rangefinder and Director Control
( + midships dual sided pom-pom platform )

I have bought off Shapeways , several times , and can genuinely state they are superb items , far better than the Kit Plastic -
plus if you look through the range , you can have a ' shopping list , where you can replace kit examples and have a far more detailed part
and within 1-2 weeks it arrives at your front door by tracked , recorded delivery ( what's not to like ?
regards
David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:33 pm 

73 North, thanks for the info on the binoculars. I looked there the other day but failed to notice them so I have put them in my basket for next time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am 

Admiral John Byng wrote:
73 North, thanks for the info on the binoculars. I looked there the other day but failed to notice them so I have put them in my basket for next time.

Pleasure - These are what they look like on a Model ( and painted ) - if you compare them to the trumpeter Part
they have far, far more detail and have hollow ends at the front to mimic real binoculars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm 

Guys:
Regarding gun director types for the Tribals, apparently they started with MkIII uncovered directors and later the 285 'yagi' radar was added.
For Haida in 1944 true? From pictures, looks like it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:34 pm 

True what you say Jamie, not absolutely sure on the Canadians, but RN and RAN were fitted with MK III, the Canadians look a little different in director enclosure shape so you may need a bit more reference. More than likely MK III.
The 285 array appeared later half of 41.

I can tell you that RAN Arunta and Warramunga were as built, fitted with early 285 which had 2 double element reflectors and a single element reflector in the centre, they were later fitted in 44 with 3 doubles.
Each antenna rod was fitted with 7 elements, also hard to identify is the MK III had stabilizer boxes fitted in front and also behind the prism tube.
I am fairly confident the IWM photo is a MK III.
regards.

Attachments:
Arunta 43.jpg
Arunta 43.jpg [ 48.73 KiB | Viewed 4166 times ]
HACS MK III.jpg
HACS MK III.jpg [ 22.51 KiB | Viewed 4166 times ]
p2.jpg
p2.jpg [ 92.44 KiB | Viewed 4166 times ]
HAD.jpg
HAD.jpg [ 89.27 KiB | Viewed 4166 times ]
W58 - Copy.jpg
W58 - Copy.jpg [ 111.84 KiB | Viewed 4166 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:15 pm 

To clarify, forgot to add in previous post.
The early 285 Yagi array, each reflector was fitted with 4 very thin stabilizer rods terminating in a collar fitted around the element rod.
Later arrays did not have these stabilizers, they are very hard to see, can just be distinguished on the previous Arunta attachment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

Just to say that the Shapeways boats ( seen here ) are superb replacements for the Kit Boats ( and far better than White Ensign Models resin boats )
note - This Model was made by Steve Bowe - and uses the Master Models 4.7 inch Brass Guns and the North Star Quad 2 pounder pom-pom mounting
with the Big Blue Boys Quad 0.5 inch AA guns added

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 pm 

Awesome thx for the reply Brett! yes, I have since heard that RCN, or Haida anyways, had an open MkIII director. The Northstar MkIV would be close, with slight mod.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:01 am 

Currently working on the masts and rigging for my HMS Zulu and wanted some opinions on how to paint the masts.
I'm using this image as a reference:

http://zoom.iwm.org.uk/view/166899?cat= ... -205140498

This would suggest that at least the lower part of the mast below the crow's nest is painted black (or dark gray), but do anyone have any definitive references for this? I've seen some models where the black starts at the same level as the funnel caps (which seem consistent with other RN ships, like the Hood), and obviosuly Trumpeter's own unreliable paint charts simply states that the entire mast should be the same color as the ship's superstructure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 pm 

Surprised you did not pick up this shot.

Attachments:
ZULU.jpg
ZULU.jpg [ 69.45 KiB | Viewed 3738 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 pm 

Well yes and no: The picture clearly shows that the area between the funnel cap and the crow's nest is darker, but the lower part of the mast is obscured by the front funnel, so it doesn't quite solve the mystery :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm 

Sephius, from your searches you have probably already noticed that the black on the mast and legs on prewar RN Tribals had a definite demarcation, which depending on the subject, either finished level with the funnel cravat or a couple of feet below.

Later photos show a feathering of the lower paintwork with no clear demarcation, whether this was deliberate, or accumulation of soot hiding the line is speculative.
Cheers

Attachments:
ASHANTI  41.jpg
ASHANTI 41.jpg [ 137.3 KiB | Viewed 3704 times ]
ESKIMO .jpg
ESKIMO .jpg [ 89.7 KiB | Viewed 3704 times ]
ESKIMO.jpg
ESKIMO.jpg [ 56.83 KiB | Viewed 3704 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next