The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:06 am 

Have made a start on my own project and would welcome an opinion. The Pontos propellers seem
very "clunky" to me. I have spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the kit props. which at this time,
seem to be the better alternative. All painted up in a 'bronze' colour, they look OK. A lot of work
is required filing, sanding, plus giving the Dremel a workout to bring the Pontos props up to scratch.
Would welcome any opinions.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 am 

How are you finding the Pontos kit... All that etch looks very daunting to me, first bit I'm attempting is the degaussing cable, as the hull is a huge piece of plastic, I want to get that base coated, and then painted.... That way it looks like I've started... But sooo much more to go

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 am 

The Pontos set is excellent and the build a challenge. There is the issue of integrating the Trumpeter and Pontos instructions with the Hood Association's comments into one cohesive approach which can only be overcome by repeated reference to all three and a little forethought. Speaking of the Pontos instructions, the ability to download them and enlarge segments to 400% greatly enhances one's ability to understand them. On the down side, I have yet to find a way to print enlarged sections that I can bring to my work table. Then there is my personal issue of a shaky right hand (an age thing) which makes gluing many of the small brass parts (example: splinter shield braces) difficult but can largely be overcome with the use of epoxy which gives longer work time than cyano glue.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:27 pm 

I'm still,in the stage of just getting my head around the instructions, one thing that is pretty cool, is that the Pontos kit turns, mundane things in to mini kits themselves... Eg the pom poms, or the life boats... I could go on, but I'd be here all day.

The Pontos kit has cost me about $75 less than the hood kit... And that was $449... Value for money? YES...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 am 

Not sure if this helps, but i went to my local "office" supplies shop (Office Works) in Australia, and purchased
some clear plastic sleeve covers (A3) size, and put the Pontos instructions in a ring binder. Which ever page you are working on,
you can remove and work on to your hearts content, without doing any damage to the sheet in question. Grizly,
you should find this method should suite, as i am also a "wrinkly" with shaky hands and strong "readers".
Have obviously made a start on my own project and would be happy to compare notes as to any issues or proplems
as i progress. I am sure Jason (Channell) would have thought through many of the challenges involved in the
construction of this kit, and can see this becoming a "Group Build".

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 am 

Further to Timhan's comments, I have printed the Hood's Association's comments and placed each Pontos photo etch sheet in clear plastic sleeves all of which is held in a three ringed binder. The sleeves holding the photo etched sheets are also labelled with a tag giving the spread of the etch part numbers on the photo etch sheet. As for the machined brass and resin components, I purchased a number of clear plastic cubical trays with lids at one of the local 'dollar' stores. I sorted out the various brass and resin parts in numerical sequence and placed a paper slip in each cubical noting the respective part number. The sorting and labeling took a couple of days but will prove be a major time saver in the future.

Last edited by Grizly on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:26 am 

I think this topic will be a huge resource to all of us who will or are currently building this amazing model and Pontos set.

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm 

I'm all for anyone adding info and/or their build here or even creating/joining a group build and and am actively collecting info myself :thumbs_up_1:

My Hood build has currently stalled out (yet again) but this time of year is traditionally not the best time for me to be tacking a huge model project (too many other jobs and hobbies that involve actually going outside! :big_grin:). I haven't abandoned it though I might not be moving as fast as I originally hoped. I might not be able to really start rocking and rolling on my 'ood until the fall. :whistle:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:53 pm 

Jason

I absolutely know where you are coming from, when it comes to summer. I too have way too much going on to be tackling ship building, especially these huge and complex builds. So I have decided to only build during September to April. However my Hood may have to wait another season to start, too many smaller 1/350 scale (who would thought 1/350 would be concidered small) projects needing attention. I still will be following this thread with interest though.

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 pm 

I would like to chime in with the group build idea, I have the Pontos set with corrected funnel, and am looking at what Eduard are starting to offer. I too feel that some detailing must be done to the upper deck ceilings, and the hull plates reduced. Pontos addresses SO much, but there is still room for more. So, let's plan this. Summer appears to be really busy for most, so shall we plan on starting in September? Regards, Pete.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:53 pm 

Works for me, Pete...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 am 

Here in Australia we do everything upside down. Have made a start and think i have got the build sequence
worked out. After about 12 years trying i have still not succeeded in posting pics. So, am happy to post
my progress in words. Should i encounter any "issues", would be more than happy to share and (hopefully) solve.
Tim.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:31 am 

hi Tim, are you using any aftermarket or doing it box stock? regards, Pete. ps, if you do everything upside down, are you starting with the masts and funnels then? or have you got the hull suspended deck down from tbe cieling and reach up to glue parts on? that would certainly save on bench space. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 pm 

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Trumpy 1/200 HMS Hood. How does the KA Models set compare to the Pontos set? I ask because I have the Pontos 1/350 1991 Wisconsin and HMS Warspite sets and really hated the instructions they came with, so it has me considering the KA Models set for my 1/200 Hood. Does anyone know how they compare in quality?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:23 pm 

OK, something was telling me not to use that tired old joke. Pete, I am building the kit with the Pontos set.
As for KA products, i have never used them so can't comment. Have previously used Pontos products and,
while their instructions have received some negative reviews, have always ended up with a quality build.
The instructions for the 1/200 Hood i find to be of a high quality and, so far, have no problem reading and
understanding them. The larger A3 format makes them easier on the eyes also.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:54 am 

sorry Tim, couldn't resist. Likewise, never seen a KA set, and this is my first Pontos set. Am very familiar with etch stuff though, having the "works" from Great Little Ships for the 1/72 Flower Class, and been using HGW, Part, and Eduard on the WW 1 'planes for years. I must admit to finding Pontos's instructions a bit confusing ( or should I say unfamiliar) at first, but after reading through them a few times it be omes clear.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:33 pm 

tko24 wrote:
I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Trumpy 1/200 HMS Hood. How does the KA Models set compare to the Pontos set? I ask because I have the Pontos 1/350 1991 Wisconsin and HMS Warspite sets and really hated the instructions they came with, so it has me considering the KA Models set for my 1/200 Hood. Does anyone know how they compare in quality?

I've worked with both Pontos and KA stuff in the past; generally speaking the KA stuff is simpler and easier to work with but is less accurate. Both are good quality but tend to have lots of instruction errors.

On the Hood sets, KA follows the kit as Trumpeter designed it but Pontos makes a concerted effort to fix many of Trumpeter's accuracy errors.

I haven't started into any of the Pontos parts but I can say it's definitely not for the timid... if you just want a great looking Hood with less fuss, go for KA. If you are an experienced builder and want to build an obsessive Hood, get the Pontos set. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:18 pm 

Thanks, you answered my question about the 2 sets perfectly. I'm an experienced modeler but I'll admit I don't enjoy working with PE very much. The 2 Pontos sets I do have are impressive but were'nt easy to work with. I don't plan on correcting all the kits errors so it sounds like the 1/200 KA Hood set is the one I should buy. Thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:06 pm 
hello guys, if anyone of you is interested here is my progress so far of my 1/200 Hood. hope you like...

https://www.facebook.com/chris.mangion/ ... 843&type=3

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:26 am 

Finally worked up the courage to destroy the boat deck (UP DECK in the Trump. instruction). The Pontos intructions
tell the modeler to remove just about all the detail - splinter shields, vents - just about everything. Removed all the
detail at rear (Admiral's quarters) and drilled larger port holes and substantially enlarged the square windows. The end
result left me wondering - "what have i done !". However, when i dry fitted the brass frets, i was amazed how good
it looked without the thick plastic showing behind. Took a leaf out of Jason's book when he thinned out the hull portholes.
The 'scale effect' was a revelation. It was a daunting undertaking but the effort was less traumatic than i anticipated.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next