The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 pm 
Very Fire
Very Fire

Hi all,
Our first plastic kit 1/700 USS Montana has already been released, here are some pictures of this kit

Attachments:
Box Art.jpg
Box Art.jpg [ 262.71 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
All Parts.JPG
All Parts.JPG [ 285.12 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Deck.JPG
Deck.JPG [ 233.73 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Hull.JPG
Hull.JPG [ 231.79 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Part D.JPG
Part D.JPG [ 271.33 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Part E.JPG
Part E.JPG [ 294.04 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Part F.JPG
Part F.JPG [ 259.97 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
PE.jpg
PE.jpg [ 383.73 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Painting.jpg
Painting.jpg [ 197.2 KiB | Viewed 5111 times ]
Secondary weapon.JPG
Secondary weapon.JPG [ 382.38 KiB | Viewed 5084 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am 

Hmmm...if I had any interest whatsoever in late war US battleships, this would be a "must get"! Just wondering...does Very Fire have any association with Flyhawk, or is this all their own molding?
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm 

biggles2 wrote:
Hmmm...if I had any interest whatsoever in late war US battleships, this would be a "must get"! Just wondering...does Very Fire have any association with Flyhawk, or is this all their own molding?
:wave_1:

Moreover, I have seen heavy resemblance with Pontos, regarding their instructions for PE/resin sets in 1/350 (especially the page with part count).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 pm 

This looks great and I can't wait to have mine arrive in my greedy hands. Now, you know as a random thought if you have the CAD files it might be straightforward to perhaps scale this kit up to 1/350. . . . I mean, doesn't Tamiya's new Yamato need a sister? :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm 

This is a nice kit. Anyone want to comment on the 5" 54 turrets that come with the kit? I am not sure I have seen drawings of these. I do not think the twin mounts were ever produced.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:42 pm 

Thanks for joining the forum and showing us the details of your kit.

What are your plans for future releases in 1/700th scale?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 pm 

William Smallshaw wrote:
This is a nice kit. Anyone want to comment on the 5" 54 turrets that come with the kit? I am not sure I have seen drawings of these. I do not think the twin mounts were ever produced.

It's pretty close to a doubled-up version of the single 5"/54 on the Midways, down to the hatch and grabrail positions - about as reasonable an extrapolation as any, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm 

We had this kit at our last club meeting. It's very nice and complete. It has everything you could need. Nice injection molding, wood deck, and photo etch. Nothing to add about the turrets except they looked nice in the box. :-)

Bill, did you pick up this kit?
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:51 pm 
I'd love to see the never built Lion class of the Royal Navy to go along with the Montana.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 pm 

Dave,

I did purchase the kit. Finally getting in some modeling time. Look forward to actually making it to a Mile High Ship Modellers Club meeting. Also an Orange Hobby Midway, very nice kit as well.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 pm 

Just received the two I'd ordered from Freetime... nice, very nice. Nice enough, I ordered two more. Doing the whole class, you see. (The fifth? I've had an IHP resin one in my stash for quite a while now; going to trick it out into a Desert Storm fit with parts from two Tamiya New Jerseys!)

I'd wager on a German H-39 before a Lion... but what I'd really like to see next in the never-completed lineup is a BB-49 South Dakota (likewise adding sisters to the IHP one I already have).
- Sean F.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 am 
NNT Modell
NNT Modell

Hello,
a delivery from VeryFire will arrive at NNT today. I'm looking forward to see them in real.
Best regards,
Ralf

www.nntmodell.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 am 

My kits are all in-hand now. I am really looking forward to building these! Thanks very much for inclusion of all the key photoetch parts in one package!

One issue that is bugging me, though: The molded-on 40mm tubs just ahead of turrets 1 and 4. They're just too close (especially the ones ahead of turret 1) They'd foul the traverse of the guns - the barrels would have to be elevated significantly to clear the 40mm gun directors. I might leave the aft ones as-is, but the forward ones... no, I just can't. Hypothetical though it is, the logic of it doesn't work for me. I'll shave them off, scribe-in the planking, and reposition them either further forward, or comfortably aft (say, flanking turret 2 at the front end of the 20mm gun banks) Maybe on one ship I'll use some spare parts and do both. They're all hypothetical, so it'd be fine to mix it up a bit. Convincingly scribing deck planking to blend in with the rest will be quite the challenge, though.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:01 am 

davidwaples wrote:
We had this kit at our last club meeting. It's very nice and complete. It has everything you could need. Nice injection molding, wood deck, and photo etch. Nothing to add about the turrets except they looked nice in the box. :-)

Bill, did you pick up this kit?
Dave

This is very interesting. This kit as shown on the Very Fire site, modelwarships.com review, and as purchased from Freetime does not include a wood deck like I posted earlier. However our club member bought this kit from HobbyEasy and their offering includes a wood peel and stick deck. Also I can't find a wood deck offered independently by other manufacturers (yet). So at this point if you want a wood deck for this model HobbyEasy may be the way to go.

Check it out: http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/nct9hx ... zr4zb.html

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 pm 

Just picked this up-- looks like a nice set.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm 
I noticed on ebay when Montana first appeared that the seller said only the first run of a limited number would contain the wooden deck. If you ordered one of the first runs you would get the wood deck if not then you would not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:21 pm 

Mine does not have the wood deck. I'm quite able to simulate wood deck with paint though, so I'm not really thinking its a problem not to have it. Depending on camo scheme the deck might end up blue any way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 am 
The Very Fire USS Montana is a fine model with plenty of detail and makes an interesting subject. I was pleased to see that the boats and launches in between the funnels had been replaced with extra armament as were the Iowas during their build. Currently I am just at the start of building this model and already it looks impressive, (the kit I mean, not my modeling skills!). However one change I intend to make is to raise the height of the aft funnel to nearly equal that of the fore funnel, all the diagrams from Siegfried Breyer onward show almost equal funnel heights. Also beware part D14 on the instruction sheet it is actually part D16. For those in the UK interested in this kit, it can be obtained at a good price through Sovereign Models based in Scotland, which avoids extra waiting time!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:18 am 

Hi...

Very fire now also has a Louisiana out there! The 2best2 thing about those kits is...noone will be splitting hair over the authenticity, especially if you decide to portray the ships after WWII and beef them up with...? :big_grin:

cheers
Uwe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:29 pm 

Hello and Happy New Year

Very Fire is announcing a detail set (resin + brass + PE + wooden deck) for their Montana and Louisiana:
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/vsjhpc ... uk04n.html

_Bruno