The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/350 Kaga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:38 pm 

Hello Everyone, I have been a member for some time now. Although I have yet to post anything, I have been gathering a lot of knowledge and I've learned many new techniques form the members of this forum. Well, now I feel that I am ready join in with a 'Work in Progress' of my own. I have always been intrigued by the ships of the IJN, so I have chosen Fujimi's 1/350 Kaga to be my first build.

I purchased the Kaga and all of the Fujimi upgrades as soon as they were released.... then came the Tetra Model Works Detail-up set. OUCH, the price is high, but I had to have it. I learned a good lesson, unless I am are going to start the kit immediately, I need to have some patience when it comes to the purchase of up-grade parts.

I have already started to make my own deck for this project using individually cut planks. The actual size of the planks used are .020in. wide by .600in. long. That comes to a real life size of 7.00 in. wide by 17.5 ft. long (178mm by 5.334 meters). I took the length and width measurements from the AOTS Fuso, page 217. The planking pattern follows Dan Kaplan's research. It is probable that the Kaga deck planks were narrower than 7.00 in. Unfortunately, with a plank width narrower than .020in., the deck started to lose detail and looked like alternating dark and light stripes.

Imagea-Kaga-Yamato-01 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr
Hopefully this gives an idea what the deck looks like from a distance.

ImageKaga Deck-001 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr
ImageKaga Deck-002 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr
ImageKaga Deck-003 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr
ImageKaga Deck-004 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr
ImageKaga Deck-005 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr
Post-01

Last edited by mksenna on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 Kaga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:51 pm 

Hi Mark,

When posting links from Flickr, please use the BBCode option on the Share menu so the images appear properly, like so:

Imagea-Kaga-Yamato-01 by Mark Lessik, on Flickr

If you are already doing that, there is no need to add the forum's [img] tags to it, as they are already included.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:10 pm 

Sweet sassy molassey, that is some dedication—and the result is stunning! I'm guessing you're going to go for dry-transfer for the deck striping, and possibly the hinomaru as well?

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:59 pm 

Properly scaled flight deck planking that looks FANTASTIC! That's real dedication.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 am 

I very much look forward to this build ! Wow.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:35 pm 

Thank You, Goodwood, Dan K and minispace. Goodwood, as for the deck striping, I am spraying currently spraying the deck with Krylon 'UV-Resistant Clear' matte acrylic form the rattle can. The wood really soaks this stuff up, but if I can get it sealed up I plan to air brush the deck. The Fujimi Wooden Deck Set comes with die-cut masks for the whole deck and they look very good.

ImageKaga Mask by Mark Lessik, on Flickr

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:05 pm 

Well, I forgot to login on my first reply which says GUEST instead of mksenna. I'll get the hang of posting and replying soon,....hopefully!
Pushing the deck off to the side for now, I am going to start the plastic build at the stern. First, I want to reproduce a 'I' beam support structure under the boat deck and under the hanger deck.

Fujimi hints at the support beams.
Attachment:
Stern-1200-01.jpg
Stern-1200-01.jpg [ 101.5 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Attachment:
Stern-1200-02.jpg
Stern-1200-02.jpg [ 86.26 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

I am using .060in. 'I' beam stock, Evergreen No. 271. The beam pieces will have a 45deg. taper cut on each side of the beam so they can 'Cris-cross' without any gaps. Once the beams are all glued and sanded I expect the beam structure to be .050in. tall. I will also have to raise the decks that .050in. so all of the P. E. that goes under the flight deck still fits.
Attachment:
Stern-1200-03.jpg
Stern-1200-03.jpg [ 94.96 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Attachment:
Stern-1200-04.jpg
Stern-1200-04.jpg [ 73.68 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

I will also have to make a choice of using the Tetra photo-etch flooring or continue to produce new flooring from scratch. Also drilling all of those holes in the beams is a real pain that I just might eliminate.
Attachment:
Stern-1200-05.jpg
Stern-1200-05.jpg [ 137.88 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Any comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

From what I can gather having seen others use them, it seems to be much less of a hassle to go ahead and use the photo-etch deck. Another advantage to using it is that you can just paint on the linoleum color and, using a hobby knife, scrape the paint from the raised stripping to show the brass once more.

Good luck, you're doing quite well!

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am 

What is your objection with using the Tetra PE pieces?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 am 

I think you should elaborate a bit on how you did the deck! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:24 am 
Hi, thank you all for the input. The photo-etch is very nicely done, and scratching off the paint to make the strips standout is a good solution. Thanks Goodwood I will give it a go.

To Dan's question, in the past I have had poor results using either 'Gator' or CA glue on large flat P.E. parts. When I've used thin CA glue, it runs all over the place and usually ruins the plastic pop through detail. Thicker glues tend to build up in between the P.E. and the plastic leaving a wavy finish. Just gluing around the edges still gives me a wavy, bumpy effect, only just at the edges. Overall I have not been happy with my previous results. By making my own decks I hope to avoid these problems.

I'll try both ways and take pics.

To EJ, elaborating on the entire making of the wood deck will take a lot of time, there are actually a lot of steps to cover. I will work on it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 pm 

Once again I forgot to login before posting a reply, yes the guest reply is mksenna.
P.S. I received some two-sided tape today. It is suppose to have a very strong adhesive and the best part is that it is only .010in. thick. Maybe this will solve my photo etch problem. I'll let you know.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 am 

Guest wrote:
To EJ, elaborating on the entire making of the wood deck will take a lot of time, there are actually a lot of steps to cover. I will work on it.

Take your time, I have my own trick. But I think many people would be interested to see how you've managed to do it (including me).

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Brilliant!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 pm 

I am in awe of your work on the deck. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Can you share what tools you use and method for creating the deck pieces? As well as how you get them to match up inside the plastic segments of the deck?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 am 

Hello Angeliccypher,

I apologize for not replying sooner, took a little vacation. With the exception of a Dremel, basic hand tools are all that I used to make the deck. A-lot of No. 11 blades, bought in boxes of 100. Home made sanding blocks, there was A-LOT of sanding. I replaced the kits deck pieces with a laminated aluminum and styrene plastic plate. I used the Dremel with various cut-off wheels to cut the aluminum. I also use a hi-quality Mitutoyo 6 inch caliper, probably the most valuable tool I use.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "how you get them to match up inside the plastic segments of the deck?". The aluminum/plastic plate is cut to fit inside of the plastic hull and the wood planks that over hang the plate support the plank. I this what you were asking about?

I received Aoshima's 1/350 Kirishima from HLJ today, I have lusted after this kit for quite some time but it was never in stock until recently. I am going to make a deck for the kit and I am thinking of documenting and posting pics. Let me know if you would like me to do it.

Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:13 am 

That would appreciated, particularly since I have the same kit. Retake version.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 am 

I would also like that.

What I was referring to is that it appeared the "metal" areas of the flight deck you kept the plastic for. Cutting out the "wood" sections and replacing it. If that is correct and you retained the non wood areas of the kit flight deck, how did you do it?

I tried the same thing on the Hiryu with little success. For me the issue was the plastic remaining was so thin that it moved too much to get accurate line ups for the insert I was trying to do. Ultimately I scrapped the idea and ordered a replacement deck because I could not get it to work. My Hiryu WIP thread shows what I was trying to do here:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=162876&start=40

Not trying to hijack. I am simply floored by what you are doing and would love to learn it. That said I will sit back and shut up now. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 pm 

Hi Gabriel,

I read all of your Hiryu thread last night after my reply here. I should have checked it out first as it gave me a better understanding of your question. It was 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. at the time I read it so I figured I'd wait until this morning to reply. I bought the re-release of the Hiryu DX (called 'Premium', same kit) earlier this year and I know how thin and flimsy the deck is. I am going back over to your Hiryu thread to finish my reply.

Hi Dan,

Sounds good, I will go ahead with the Kirishima deck, probably under a new tread.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:05 pm 

WowWow! Very nice work and thanks for posting pics.

Report this post