The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:26 pm 

Bill,

Well, I don't know what era you are building, but the issues of overboard discharges goes like this:

origin - 1st decommissioning - O.D. were simple 90 els., nothing more.
2nd commissioning - 2nd decommissioning (1957) - O.D. were simple 90 els, nothing more. See below.
3rd commissioning - 3rd decommissioning (1969) - O.D. had 1/2 round steel covers that covered the o.d. as well as extended down close to the waterline. Photos of the era will show these as built.
4th commissioning - current status as museum ship - O.D. were similar to those above but were slightly enhanced. Photos of the era will show these.

I've noticed on one build lately that the modeler added o.d. covers to his WWII era model - WRONG - they didn't exist at that time. The only exception were some black hoses attached during the Korean War period at in port periods and when the ships were decommissioned in the mid-50s. A few photos show this on IOWA and perhaps WISCONSIN (not positive on this).

As for hull plating on the 1:200 scale kits: Eduard offers the PE sheet of Butt Strakes (two sizes on sheet) which would be a good purchase (saves time making your own!). These won't address all the various hull lines (vertical/horizontal) but do add a good detail to the sides of the hull.

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 pm 

Hank! Whew! Just finished reading the entire thread and it's a marvelous, complicated build. Building in 1:200 forces you to deep dive into details that are simply unattainable in 1:350. Your multiyear build is beautiful. I've been drooling over this kit in MicroMark's catalog for a couple of years, but a) don't have the space for it, b) don't have the excess $$$ to take from building the train layout, and c) can't afford the 3+ years it would take to build it. So... I'll just sit back and enjoy what you're doing.

Great build!

I did post my Tamiya Missouri here when it was finished in 2012.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:40 am 

B2010,

Thanks for the very nice comments, etc. I'm glad that the build has been a positive one overall. I'll check out your 1/350th MO when I get a chance.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 pm 

Hard to believe these projects take as long as the real thing!

And some get broken up on the ways...

Good job Hank!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:45 pm 

Thanks, Tom!!!

And some take EVEN LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :big_grin: :big_grin:

Got the draft marks and hull numbers on last night. Like I'm on a roll :rolf_3:

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 am 

Well, I've not been idle - simply plodding along...

Here are a couple shots of last night's work - I've got the after main wood deck in place and am working on getting deck equipment located and placed. Time consuming, but making progress. The helo deck is in place and details will be added:
Attachment:
BB-62 Fantail_1 - Copy.JPG
BB-62 Fantail_1 - Copy.JPG [ 110.45 KiB | Viewed 849 times ]

Attachment:
BB-62 Fantail_2 - Copy.JPG
BB-62 Fantail_2 - Copy.JPG [ 152.63 KiB | Viewed 849 times ]

Attachment:
bb-62 Main Deck Aft_1 - Copy.JPG
bb-62 Main Deck Aft_1 - Copy.JPG [ 141.85 KiB | Viewed 849 times ]

I did get curl-up on both sides of the Pontos decking. I think this is mainly due to the age of the decking - I ordered this decking back in 2012 or 13 and it's been sitting since then. This was corrected with cryo along all the edges. I can't blame Pontos for this effect.

Next week I will continue with adding vents, winches, projector booth, etc. - lots of items to get painted and placed.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:44 am 

Looking very sharp Hank, I really must get back to my 1/200 Iowa...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 am 

Johndon,

Thanks, very much - I appreciate the comment!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
Well, I've not been idle - simply plodding along...

Here are a couple shots of last night's work - I've got the after main wood deck in place and am working on getting deck equipment located and placed. Time consuming, but making progress. The helo deck is in place and details will be added:
Attachment:
BB-62 Fantail_1 - Copy.JPG

Attachment:
BB-62 Fantail_2 - Copy.JPG

Attachment:
bb-62 Main Deck Aft_1 - Copy.JPG

I did get curl-up on both sides of the Pontos decking. I think this is mainly due to the age of the decking - I ordered this decking back in 2012 or 13 and it's been sitting since then. This was corrected with cryo along all the edges. I can't blame Pontos for this effect.

Next week I will continue with adding vents, winches, projector booth, etc. - lots of items to get painted and placed.

Hank

Hi Hank,
Your build looks amazing so far, I didn't realize you were that far along on the hull. The pictures are kind of small but I notice hull plating details besides the Eduard hull detail set. I'd sure love to know what method you used to replicate the lines of the hull plating?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm 

Great Work Hank.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:17 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 pm 

Tom - Once again, Thanks for the nice remarks! It's been a long time in getting to this point. Yes, the hull does have some very subtle horizontal plate lines, but perhaps not enunciated enough. Anyhow, that plus the tiny eyelets in the bow, they seem to simulate the real hull - at least, that's the intent. I need to post a bow shot, but am waiting until I get the wood deck in place.

Rshoker - Thanks too for the kind remark!!

Steve - Ditto!!!

I managed to get a copy of the horizontal plate lines from an acquaintance who has moved on to 1/96 scale and shared the drawing. It was drawn from the actual offsets/hull drawings for the IOWA class, so I'm guessing it's correct. It saved me from trying to do a similar task and thus helped out a lot. I don't know that I have his permission to copy it to the forum, so I won't.

Hopefully, the after deck equipment (without the a/c crane, whip antennas) will be placed next week and I'll post further photos. I apologize for the size but the forum won't handle larger photos. Does anyone know the max size a photo can be posted?

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
Tom - Once again, Thanks for the nice remarks! It's been a long time in getting to this point. Yes, the hull does have some very subtle horizontal plate lines, but perhaps not enunciated enough. Anyhow, that plus the tiny eyelets in the bow, they seem to simulate the real hull - at least, that's the intent. I need to post a bow shot, but am waiting until I get the wood deck in place.

Rshoker - Thanks too for the kind remark!!

Steve - Ditto!!!

I managed to get a copy of the horizontal plate lines from an acquaintance who has moved on to 1/96 scale and shared the drawing. It was drawn from the actual offsets/hull drawings for the IOWA class, so I'm guessing it's correct. It saved me from trying to do a similar task and thus helped out a lot. I don't know that I have his permission to copy it to the forum, so I won't.

Hopefully, the after deck equipment (without the a/c crane, whip antennas) will be placed next week and I'll post further photos. I apologize for the size but the forum won't handle larger photos. Does anyone know the max size a photo can be posted?

Hank

I hope if he ever does give permission that you'll consider sharing them here. I don't have a problem with the overdone hull plating on the Trumpy Hood and Nelson kits because it's easier to knock down the effect than it is to replicate it from scratch on a bare hull, which is why I was so disappointed that the Missouri came with a hull that has no details at all. In 1/200 there should be some hull plating detail. The 1/200 Bismarck also has a bare hull. Did you achieve the effect through masking and paint? I look forward to seeing more pictures especially the bow. Where did you find some of the photoetch that you're using?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 am 

TKO24 wrote:
Quote:
Where did you find some of the photoetch that you're using?

It's PE from the Pontos MISSOURI detail up sheets - stuff that I won't be using or extras that are on a couple sheets that I had ordered as replacements for parts I messed up earlier. Adaption is a skill that a good modeler needs to acquire in order to sometimes make things :big_grin: !

Did you ever purchase the Model Monkey mast/kingpost combo for your WISCONSIN? How's that build coming along?

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:03 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
TKO24 wrote:
Quote:
Where did you find some of the photoetch that you're using?

It's PE from the Pontos MISSOURI detail up sheets - stuff that I won't be using or extras that are on a couple sheets that I had ordered as replacements for parts I messed up earlier. Adaption is a skill that a good modeler needs to acquire in order to sometimes make things :big_grin: !

Did you ever purchase the Model Monkey mast/kingpost combo for your WISCONSIN? How's that build coming along?

Hank

Yes I did purchase it. It turned out great. Plus I see he put the earlier version of the mast up on his Shapeways site. I may have to buy 2 more 1/200 Missouri's to do a Korean war version and the New Jersey in Vietnam! I'll just need to construct a new building to display them all along with my 1/200 Hood, Nelson, Arizona and Bismarck. Lol So far on the Missouri I've only started the forward superstructure. I've had the Bismarck kit 3 years now and I'm much farther along on that one. I'm using the KA Models detail sets for all of my 1/200 scale kits. I transitioned from active duty to the reserves several years ago, but I'm still an active reservist, I also volunteer with the CG Auxiliary in surface ops. So between my job, the Coast Guard, my family and kids I find it difficult to spend very much time actually sitting at the workbench modeling. I need another me. Lol

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 pm 

TKO24 wrote:
Quote:
Yes I did purchase it. It turned out great. Plus I see he put the earlier version of the mast up on his Shapeways site. I may have to buy 2 more 1/200 Missouri's to do a Korean war version and the New Jersey in Vietnam! I'll just need to construct a new building to display them all along with my 1/200 Hood, Nelson, Arizona and Bismarck. Lol So far on the Missouri I've only started the forward superstructure. I've had the Bismarck kit 3 years now and I'm much farther along on that one. I'm using the KA Models detail sets for all of my 1/200 scale kits. I transitioned from active duty to the reserves several years ago, but I'm still an active reservist, I also volunteer with the CG Auxiliary in surface ops. So between my job, the Coast Guard, my family and kids I find it difficult to spend very much time actually sitting at the workbench modeling. I need another me. Lol

Great! I'd love to see some pictures of your WISCONSIN! I did quite a bit of 2D CAD drafting on those mast and mast/combo in order for him to make those parts - just so you know.... :cool_2:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:32 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
TKO24 wrote:
Quote:

Great! I'd love to see some pictures of your WISCONSIN! I did quite a bit of 2D CAD drafting on those mast and mast/combo in order for him to make those parts - just so you know.... :cool_2:

Hank

Yes I do, you're my hero! :thumbs_up_1: Seriously though I appreciate the work that all you guys did for me to get that mast modeled. I feel guilty that I may be the only one that ends up buying it. At least more people showed interest in Steve doing the mods for a 1960's Baltimore class cruiser. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more interest in Wisconsin and Iowa circa late 1950's. The 2 French battleships were retired just before them and so was HMS Vanguard. USS Wisconsin was the last battleship in active service in the world until Vietnam. But it seems that besides myself there's no interest in that configuration of the Iowa class BB's.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:27 pm 

Actually, I bought one and got 3 - due to curling from the 3D printing process. (Shapeways DOES make good on things!) I've since cured & straightened them and now have 3 on hand. I do have plans to build one of the masts into the 1955 version of NEW JERSEY's Main Mast & Stack. Don't know when or if I'll have room in the display with the ship, etc. The other two I'm keeping on ice :heh:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm 

Fantail looks quite nice Hank! It also brings out again the differences in the ships and different eras. Can't wait to see what the bow padeyes look like in place! Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 am 

Tom,

Thanks for the nice comment! Well, the bow padeyes are rather subdued - I hope to have some further work to post later this week and will include the bow although that area I'm not working on at present. I could not keep the paint out of the eyes but all in all at least they're in place. Perhaps I should have used larger ones, but these were the closest in size that I had on hand.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next