The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:50 pm 

David:

Thanks for posting your comments and photos! I've been dying of curiosity to see how your project was turning out and it looks great! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: Your efforts to rework the bow have really paid off, too, and your LCI is really turning out nicely. Very nice! :woo_hoo:
Let me tackle a couple of your recent questions:
dhenning wrote:
Question on your build: Did you use the same 0.047" rod for the mast that you used on your earlier square bridge build? Also, it looks like you used something to replicate the porthole rings on the pilothouse-what did you use? I tried some photoetch ones that I had, but they were not the right diameter and I didn't like the look. David

I used the kit mast this time around. It appears to have the right dimensions and of course, is tapered. As for the portholes, all I did was drill them out. I think what you see is residual plastic that was distorted around the holes and left a fine ridge that stood out once the primer was applied. I'd thought about ordering some PE portholes, but I came away with the same conclusion as you and haven't come across any that I like yet.

With regard to your model, are those the Model Monkey watertight doors? Also, for the bridge, are the pelorus and compass 3D printed, too?

John :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:08 pm 

Yes, the watertight doors are from Model Monkey (Steve). He rescaled his 1/144 set to 1/160 along with his 20mm Ready Service Lockers. I used the doors on the stair/deckhouse units and on the main structure. I used a 3 panel door for the pilothouse, but decided to sand it smooth to match all of the pictures (I'll live with the others being different from the photos).

The compass and pelorus are both scratch built. Will probably replace the beads that I used for the compensating globes on the compass with drops of gel CA on some wires later on. I think that the beads that I used are too large.

Progressing with the main superstructure deck fittings now.

Do you have any references that show the locations of the fire hoses on a 351 class LCI?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:10 pm 

Hi everyone,

Well, after a long break, I'm back to work on the LCI, after a sort. If you've looked at the MW gallery, you've seen that I recently completed a 1/72nd scale model of the USS Clarion River, which I built for a gentleman who was the former Engineering Officer during the Viet Nam war. That model took an enormous amount of my time, especially as it got closer to the date when I was due to deliver the model.

I've had a number of irons in the fire lately, which have also taken time away from this model. In the area of work on other models, I've recently completed a conversion of the Revell 1/144th scale LSM into a model of the Clarion River (LSMR-409). As you might recall, I know many former crewmembers of the Clarion River and many of them have asked for models of their ship. This recent conversion has already yielded additional requests for models, which is sure to keep me busy.

Also, I've been attending military reunions throughout the summer. And, to top off the distractions, I've been on the road all month for my employer. Fortunately, I've been able to do a little bit of work on details for the model while on the road. In today's update, I'll show you progress that I've made on the stern anchor winch. First, let me address a question from Dave Henning:
dhenning wrote:
Do you have any references that show the locations of the fire hoses on a 351 class LCI?
I'm sorry for not answering sooner, and perhaps my answer is too late. I don't have any drawings with me that show the locations, but here are a couple photos I found:
Attachment:
File comment: Photo of LCI(G)-456 courtesy of Navsource.org. Inboard of the port gunwale is what appears to be a fire hose reel.
LCI(G)-456 04a.jpg
LCI(G)-456 04a.jpg [ 397.33 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Photo of LCI(L)-561 courtesy of Navsource.org. A firehose station is on the aft port superstructure.
LCI(L)-561 01.jpg
LCI(L)-561 01.jpg [ 92.57 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Photo of LCI(L)-486 courtesy of Navsource.org. A firehose station is on the forward port superstructure.
LCI(L)-486 04 (2).jpg
LCI(L)-486 04 (2).jpg [ 145.81 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

From the variety of locations shown in various photos, there may not have been standard locations, but I'll look into that more and update you if I find other references.

Without further ado, let's take a look at the winch:
Attachment:
File comment: Here are four winches I've scratchbuilt. I have several LCI's in progress, so I set up an 'assembly line.' The winch on the left front will go on the waterlined LCI. Since the model will be in a beached setting, the engine needs to be exposed. The other three winches will be installed on models in the 'at sea' status, with the engine covered by a tarp, so I don't need to add engine detail. The wire spools will be added later.
winches.jpg
winches.jpg [ 251.58 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:57 pm 

Glad to see you back with your build. Thanks for the info on the firehoses. I finally found the locations on the forward end of the superstructure from the photos of the 449 at Iwo Jima and might have found the same one for the stern end as well. Locations seem to vary widely-some were on the deckhouse/stairwell structures as well.
My build is coming along as well. All major mods completed-now painting in a measure 31 scheme using Vallejo acrylics. Not very happy with the results. Started with cut masking tape masks, which worked okay until I used a pre-thinned acrylic black that ran under the masks extensively. Then tried the silly putty technique, which didn't allow the complicated curves and corners for this measure in 1/160th scale. Did a lot of brush touch up and hoped that it would tie together with a coat of Future, but still not happy with the results. Will give it a coat of flat next and hopefully that will tie things together better.
Looking forward to more pics of your build and the other builds that you have in the works.

David

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:48 am 

Hi everyone,

I’ve begun adding some of the final details before I paint the ship. I’m inclined to give it a camouflage scheme, like the one shown in the picture below of the 744 landing troops on Borneo.
Attachment:
File comment: This actually looks like a locally-concocted pattern, because it doesn’t seem to resemble any of the schemes I’ve looked at.
LCI(L)-744 01.jpg
LCI(L)-744 01.jpg [ 77.55 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]

A quick word of thanks to David for stopping in to share progress on his model. I have been dragging my feet on painting my model because I expect to have the same problems as you’ve had in applying the scheme, Dave. Good luck and post some photos when you finally get all the challenges conquered!

Today’s update is a bit brief: I have been working on a myriad of details such as the watertight doors and the stern winch. Let’s take a look:
Attachment:
File comment: On the bow, I’ve begun finishing where the bow anchor is deployed. The frame around the penetration is from .015 inch styrene sheet. I’ve also begun the watertight doors, which are two layers of .005 inch styrene. Next, I'll attach stretched styrene sprue to simulate the dogs and hinges.
starboard.jpg
starboard.jpg [ 157.99 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: As you can see from the application of filler and sanding, I’m trying to clean up some remaining defects in the seams.
port.jpg
port.jpg [ 128.14 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here is a view of the fantail and the stern winch, which is complete with the exception of the rope reel. The winch is only posed in place; I'll paint it separately. On the fantail deck, the kit has a number of locating holes for various components, including a fixture that mounts on the port fantail, which supposedly is a smoke generator. I haven’t seen any photos of that installation, so I’ve begun the process of plugging the hole, which is indicated by the arrow. Also, I’ve been working on the stern anchor stand. The horizontal base is .030 inch brass wire. The vertical members were smaller diameter, so I’ll probably use either .020 inch brass or perhaps styrene or piano wire for them.
fantail.jpg
fantail.jpg [ 164.29 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:24 am 

Hi everyone,

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire right now, but I’m trying to make some progress on the LCI. I’ve painted the hull #5 Ocean Green as the first step in applying camouflage in Measure 31 5L. Here’s a look.
Attachment:
File comment: I have a bit more detailing of the conn superstructure to do and for ease of painting, I’ve left the conn off.
20171213 01.jpg
20171213 01.jpg [ 109.59 KiB | Viewed 987 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Lifeline stanchions are .015 inch piano wire. I'll string thread much later.
20171213 02.jpg
20171213 02.jpg [ 166.02 KiB | Viewed 987 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: I added ‘eyebrows’ made from styrene tube above the superstructure portholes; they are a little overscale, but they achieve the effect.
20171213 03.jpg
20171213 03.jpg [ 177.78 KiB | Viewed 987 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The stern anchor stand is complete, with vertical frames of .020 inch piano wire.
20171213 04.jpg
20171213 04.jpg [ 229.64 KiB | Viewed 987 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Lots of locating holes on deck! I’ll install these components later so as to make painting easier.
20171213 05.jpg
20171213 05.jpg [ 192.02 KiB | Viewed 987 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:20 am 

Good to see you are still at it John! My build of the LCI(G)-449 is progressing. Lifelines rigged, mast up (but not rigged yet). Built my first of 10 Mk. 7 rocket launchers over the last two evenings. Using Evergreen C channel stock and some photoetch N scale farm fence panels to build them. Hoping for some quiet build time over the next week. Not sure how many I will get done before I decide to make blocks of styrene covered up with tissue tarps instead!

Looking forward to seeing more of your builds.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
David

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:49 pm 

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since I touched this model. Partly, it’s because I’ve been busy building models for other people. Another big part is that the model is at the stage that I dread the most: final painting. And not just any painting, either; this is camouflage painting, which is worse on a small model. :Mad_6: Some of you may have been following my thread on the Revell LSM and you’ll know that I’m at the same point with that model, too. However, I’ve dragged my feet long enough on both models and I am getting back to work.

As I mentioned a while back, I’ve decided to paint the model in the Measure 31 5L camouflage. Here are a couple drawings of the scheme:
Attachment:
Measure 31 Design 5L for LCI port.jpg
Measure 31 Design 5L for LCI port.jpg [ 128.01 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]
Attachment:
Measure 31 Design 5L for LCI stbd.jpg
Measure 31 Design 5L for LCI stbd.jpg [ 189.32 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

The drawings show that the camouflage was carried over onto the horizontal decks. I’m not painting the model in a fresh newly-out-of-construction scheme, so I am not going to reproduce that aspect of the camouflage scheme. I am assuming that a ship in the combat zone wouldn’t have wasted any time replicating the deck camouflage, especially if it were up to the sailors. So, instead, I’m painting the deck flat black, which was one of the constituents of the deck camouflage anyway.

Here’s a couple photos of the model after painting a couple of the deck areas:
Attachment:
File comment: I haven't tried to mask each deck off at once; I think that would be a real nightmare. Instead, the first effort was on the forward and aft decks. Next, I'll paint the superstructure deck and the focsle deck.
P01.jpg
P01.jpg [ 77.05 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]
Attachment:
P02.jpg
P02.jpg [ 145.83 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

After I get the decks painted, I’ll mask off the hull and begin applying the camouflage. That might take a while, since this is the part that takes the most time. When I get to that point, I’ll be back with more photos.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:01 pm 

Wonderfully crisp build so far, and paint.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm 

Looking good John! Yes, the camo scheme is truly a pain! I still have one LCI kit in the stash-might one day build one that was at Normandy-but my next project needs to be an out of the box build. Getting burned out on the 1/730 USS Midway.

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:54 pm 

Good to hear from you, Dave! Yes, I saw the headaches you had with painting your LCI(G) and have been dragging my feet since. :heh: As you know, I have a number of Lindberg LCI models in the works and I am going to try to make some progress on them all. One of them is a 'square conn' hull conversion and I've been toying with the idea of making it a British short square conn. The superstructure would be a little simpler and the camouflage scheme is intriguing. I don't think I started a thread on its build, though, so here's a photo of its current status:
Attachment:
2020_08_18.jpg
2020_08_18.jpg [ 143.61 KiB | Viewed 787 times ]

I think I also have one or two unbuilt Lindberg LCIs and I've thought about chopping one up and making it an LCS. You know I like using my razor saw! :rolf_3:

Thanks for the kind words! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Last edited by jcmackay on Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am 

Hi Dan,
Dan K wrote:
Wonderfully crisp build so far, and paint.

Thanks for checking in and thank you especially for your kind words! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:46 am 

Hi everyone,

A short post to show the completed painting of the deck. Applying camouflage is next, followed by touch-up and then weathering.

Attachment:
2020-08-25.jpg
2020-08-25.jpg [ 161.44 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 pm 

Hi everyone,

A quick update. I sat down over the past couple days and worked on the camouflage on the starboard side. Take a look:
Attachment:
File comment: Among the lessons I learned on this model was that you shouldn't install the lifeline stanchions and surface details until the camouflage is complete.
20200927_01.jpg
20200927_01.jpg [ 125.43 KiB | Viewed 665 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: There is still a little bit of touch-up and cleanup to do. Eventually, I'll do some weathering.
20200927_03.jpg
20200927_03.jpg [ 100.4 KiB | Viewed 665 times ]

I’ll work on the port side next and then the conn. Then, after a bit of touchup, I’ll start the final assembly.

Report this post