The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:35 pm 

Damn Jim, you've been a busy man. Everything looks great! Any chance that those waterline tugs be in 1/350? :heh: :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:30 pm 

I can try to scale up the prototype and see what we can make happen.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
1/700 scale rebuild of diorama project 960 square feet.
(Table 1 underway)Feb.2017
1/350 USS ALASKA CB-1(started Aug. 2017) 70% completed

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:14 pm 

Well how is everyone? As for me and this monster build, things are good but moving a bit slower than expected but perfection isn't something that can be rushed :thumbs_up_1: I've been working on my photo etched buildings lately and several are completely finished with the exception of the LED's being added which I will add just before I place them permanently to the diorama. I'm going to be slowing down on the diorama in a month or so because I am starting a brand new project, the new project is a brand new house and hobby shop, I think it's going to take about 3 to 5 months for the house to be completed, we are hoping to be in the new house before Christmas and enjoying my hobby shop, I am really excited to be setting up my hobby shop and display room for the final time, the new house is my wife and I "forever" home. We've been waiting for a long time to build a new house on our land and it's finally going to start next month.

Anyway I'm going to be working on things as time is available and I will get as many pictures of the progress that I can and post them as well. Everyone take care and we will see you with a new update soon.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 am 

A hearty, if somewhat early, congratulations on the new house, Jim! That's gotta be quite the morale-booster, knowing that all the pieces are coming together and a new phase in your life is about to begin.

Just for giggles, have you ever thought of coming up with a backstory for your diorama, since it is a fictional location and will be playing host to quite the multinational armada?

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:25 pm 

Just for giggles, have you ever thought of coming up with a backstory for your diorama, since it is a fictional location and will be playing host to quite the multinational armada?[/quote]

Well Sean I really haven't gave it much thought to be honest, but I think you're right, needs a back story to give a bit of an explanation for this monster, with all the different elements that are going into the project and all the different nations involved a back story would add more life to the diorama as a whole.
If you have any suggestions for a cool back story I'm open to any ideas, think about it and with all your knowledge of the project let's try to come up with a great back story that will be really cool for the diorama.
Also thanks for the congratulations on the new house, been a long time coming.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 am 

Hi Jim,

I came across your thread a couple days ago while looking for tips & tricks prior starting one of my projects. And been reading it ever since, I just finished! I must say, it is awesome, the scale and complexity of your endeavor just boggles the mind. I am much looking forward to seeing, not only your diorama, but also your completed workshop/display area. I am in the process of building my own work area and I wish I had the space and means to make something like what you describe, good for you!! :thumbs_up_1:
I have subscribed to your channel and will be a frequent visitor there looking for inspiration for my own projects.

Meanwhile, I had a little request for you! I am from India, a place where this hobby is still in its infancy! Could you possibly have a representative from the Indian Navy, maybe on a 'courtesy call'? I was thinking the old HMS Hermes, dressed up as the INS Vikrant? Would fit in nicely in your period - 1970s. Or the Soviet Admiral Gorshkov as the INS Vikramaditya for a more modern feel?

Till I start up my own build log...happy modelling.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm 

Helm,

First allow me to say Thank You very much for spending the past few days reading through this build log, I hope you find it interesting and continue to follow along with this massive project. As far as your request for a vessel or two to represent India, I think I can make that happen, actually I had already planned on doing a few. :thumbs_up_1:

I am really getting excited about the new hobby studio, I am hopeful to be setting up things towards the end of the year, well actually as soon as the new house is completed. I have been spending the past few weeks getting a ton of smaller projects completed for the diorama in preparation for a new video to be posted to the channel, I am getting a massive amount of fiber optics put together for all the pier lighting and roadway lights. I have several cranes to get installed and wire those up to the lighting network as well. I have also been putting together a big list of photo etch dockyard diorama items that are needed for the first table, not that I don't have enough already to build but I do need to get some that I do not have and are needed to get the effect that I want to achieve.

If you need any advise or help with your projects and if I am able to guide you in the right direction, please feel free to ask, I am always willing to help fellow model builders. Again, thank you for your post and for following along this adventure. I hope it gives you the inspiration for your projects. Until next time happy modeling.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 pm 

Well today was another productive day in the slipway, I have been doing a lot of "clean-up" work with my project workbooks. I have had to break down a few of them into separate workbooks. Just so I can keep up with all my notes and worksheets. I am STILL getting things separated. :eyes_spinning: :eyes_spinning:

I have also been working on getting a ton of the smaller build projects finished up as well, I spent most of the afternoon and evening working on 42 LCAC's, they are mostly all painted, got a bit of touch up paint to finish then it is on to decals, I should have these finished this week with little to no problems. I have been forced to use some Microscale decals, so there is a massive amount of measuring and cutting to get them correct as well as some decals that would not normally be used to ships but hey they work. As soon as I have these finished I am going to post pictures here and then move on to getting another one of the many smaller projects finished.

It is a real challenge trying to tie up all the lose ends with the smaller projects, they are all those "extra" builds that always get put on the back burner for another day, well I ran out of those "another days" and needed to get some of my storage boxes emptied for future builds. So, I am still plugging away at it and hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying their summer. I will have a nice picture post coming very soon. Take Care everyone.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm 

Hi there everyone, Yes I am still alive. I am sorry that I have been away from the forums lately but life has stepped in and totally taken over. I have had a ton of things going on over the past few weeks, first of all my settlement from my accident came in finally, we have just purchased 27 acres of land and finalized the new house that is going to be built over the next few months, we are hopeful to be in the new house at the end of the year or the very beginning of next year. My wife has given me most of the second floor of the new house for my hobby shop and display room. Which I am totally excited about till I build the perminate man cave on the property. I also have a large 3 to 4 acre pond on the property fully stocked with all kinds of fresh water fish, but the best thing is it is big enough for R/C naval battles.

Now the biggest and best news of all is that our daughter and her husband are expecting their first child, yes I am going to be a grandpa :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: We are very excited about that news and looking forward to the new arrival.

Today I received in the mail two new kits and I am really jumping at the bit to start work on these, one is Orange Hobbies 1/700 scale "USS AMERICA LHA-6" this one is for the diorama, the next kit is the 1/350 Hobby Boss "USS ALASKA CB-1" this kit at first glance is freaking awesome, lots of details and 4 PE frets as well. I am going to study this kit fully before I start it and I will be doing a total review and build log of this new kit. I am really excited about this kit as it is one of my most favorite ships of all time, it is going to be done as accurate as possible since the aftermarket items are not out there yet, but some general USN 1/350 PE sets are going to be used to add more details wherever possible.

I am also waiting on a 1/350 "USS Texas" kit to come in still, it should be here tomorrow :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: I am going to work on that kits after the Alaska is done. I am not by no means stopping work on the diorama, but things have slowed down a lot due to everything going on with the purchase of the property and the new house. I usually work out at the new property 2 to 3 days a week, cleaning up the area around the pond and clearing away the over growth, put it is all going to take time and over the next couple of months we should be able to get it most all done. I will be restricting myself to model work only in the evenings and for only a few hours at a time as to not impose to much on my plate while everything with the house is taking place.

But guys and gals, I am still alive and looking forward to working the resin, plastic, and wood again real soon. Everyone take care and look forward to following everyone's builds. Happy modeling.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm 

Hi there everyone,
Well while things have basically stopped on the diorama due to my biggest project of my life, I have been working over the past couple of months on my property I bought at the beginning of Aug. getting the area around my pond cleaned up of over growth and dead, fallen trees. It has been a massive undertaking but things are really looking good around the pond. Then there is the new house site, getting all the things done so the contractor can start the foundation work next week "hopefully", we are getting very excited since things are moving along pretty fast now. The new "modular" house arrived last week and we where able to a basic walk through and I must admit it really looks great, the CNC did a great job on her color schemes and everything just flows nicely.

Since the diorama is going in the upstairs "hobby shop", I figured it is best to hold off on the construction of the diorama until I get it relocated in the new house, which should be completed mid December. So, in the mean time I have been working on my Hobby Boss 1/350 scale USS ALASKA CB-1, I had planned to do a build log of the kit but I thought better of it and just build it for the fun of building, not having to worry about posting the construction of the ship and pictures as I have done over the past four years with the diorama project. I was actually getting to the point of not enjoying building. So, I decided to build the ship OOB with the kit supplied PE (which is AWESOME :cool_2: :cool_2: ) get back to the basics and have fun with the build, no pressure to get something built, take pictures and post what information I feel is useful.

I will however take pictures of the ALASKA once I get it completed and post it in the completed builds forum. I will say one thing regarding this Hobby Boss kit, the kit its self is molded very well, parts fit is some of the best I have seen EVER!!!! :woo_hoo: The photo etch is outstanding, they pre measured, and included the etching for the folds, bends ect.... simply fantastic.

As far as accuracy of the ship and details I have not really got involved in trying to find every little thing that is not exactly spot on, but for doing an OOB it is a great piece to build and so far I have been really enjoying the build, which is the idea. So, if your toying with the idea of getting the kit but have not seen any reviews, pics, or build logs for the kit, I would recommend getting the kit, it is simply a well crafted kit and unless you are an "after market" parts junky, then the after market parts selection is slim pickings. I have only seen the wood decks for after market items out there.

Well I hope everyone is doing well and have much success with your projects and most of all ENJOYING building them. Until next time gents...............Have a great day.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm 

Goodwood wrote:
You may as well build Pearl Harbor and have done with it, mate! But then there wouldn't be any LCSs about, would there?

Sean "Goodwood" posted this some 3 years ago in the earlier pages of this topic, little did he know then that a "PEARL HARBOR" diorama would be on the horizon, well I was asked to do a commission build of Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 41' and to do it in 1/700 scale for a WW 2 Veterans Group, so looks like after the first of the year there is going to be a Pearl Harbor diorama underway.

:woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

OH GOD GRANT ME STRENGH

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hey guys its been some time since I posted a few pics on this topic but I finished my scratch built YPD-42, "Yard Pile Driver- barge" this is the proto type which need a bit of clean up work and then the finishing touches of paint and weathering. I actually have two made but this one is the finished version with PE. I still have to add the chains to the hammer pylon which will be added after the paint work is finished.

If anyone is interested in these for their diorama MSG me and I will get back to you on a price. Again, this is a scratch built model and I don't have any made up into a "garage kit" but it is in the works along with several other model kits I am engineering.

Well here it is YPD-42

Attachment:
File comment: YPD-42 proto type
1115171521 (1024x576).jpg
1115171521 (1024x576).jpg [ 185.66 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]

Attachment:
1115171521a (576x1024).jpg
1115171521a (576x1024).jpg [ 240.76 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]

Attachment:
1115171522 (576x1024).jpg
1115171522 (576x1024).jpg [ 205.44 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]

Attachment:
1115171522a (576x1024).jpg
1115171522a (576x1024).jpg [ 175.6 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]

Attachment:
1115171544 (1024x576).jpg
1115171544 (1024x576).jpg [ 202.3 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]

Guys I swear the pictures where straight when I uploaded them.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 am 

Well guys YPD-42 and YPD-43 are nearing the finish line and I will have new pictures of these very soon once I finish them off with the detail paint and weathering.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 pm 

Well guys and gals the new house is now finished and we've nearly finished moving in. My new shop is 76 feet long and 18 feet wide with a 9 foot ceiling height. I have to finish the inside of the slipway and get everything set up and organized then the diorama will resume and additional tables will be added. This is the new slipway.

Attachments:
0204181200-1-1-1.jpg
0204181200-1-1-1.jpg [ 141.14 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
0204181200a-1-1.jpg
0204181200a-1-1.jpg [ 133.98 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 pm 

Fantastic work Jim, enjoy the new space!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 am 

Yes, I agree. Great space! Enjoy it and we are eager to await your updates :)

My Blog: http://metusajunction.blogspot.com

My photos: https://www.flickr.com/people/52307730@N06/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm 

Jim,
A most ambitious project! Best of luck to you. I did an airfield for Desert SHIELD (photos too large to meet forum standards) with C-5, AC-130s, F-4E, EF-111, C-141 & FB-111. I would recommend you check your spacing carefully, my lay out GREW from 12x18 to 22x22 once I had the proper distances figured in. I have a file that gives distances in feet or millimeters for 1/700 (helps to ease the conversion math) if you are interested. If so let me know and I will try to attach it here.
Regards

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:08 am 

Hey guys thank you so much for your comments, I am very excited about the new space, I have been helping the CNC with the house getting thing where she wants them and trying to get settled in. I am still in the process of getting the rest of my model kits out of storage and I am hopeful that by the end of the month I will have everything here at the new house and set up. I started getting most of my 1/350 scale kits this weekend from storage but I still have about 300 to 400 1/700 scale kits to get moved as well as all my shelve units I use for storage. So, still a lot to do but I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have not been able to cut any plastic or do much of anything with models over the past few months since dealing with the new house being built, packing and all that fun stuff, but I am really feeling the withdraws and eagerly awaiting some time in the new slipway. I have reassembled the 1st diorama table and gave it a good going over to check for damage and lucky for me all I lost was one light pole. So, I am still in a good way for the diorama to move forward, I was really surprised that the mountains and plaster work did not suffer any damage.

I know everyone who has been following this project was pretty much given up on seeing new updates but with everything we've had going on over the past several months, turning life upside down, inside out and every which way but loose is finally starting to settle down, I am hopeful that by the summer I will have some new progress and videos to show the work I have planned as well as some additional tables to be added. Not so sure what the CNC will have to say but after I built her this dream house, she can't say to much. LOL.

Guys I promise I will have a ton of pictures and progress to share as soon as I finish setting up the slipway. I am hoping everyone is doing well and I am looking forward to seeing your work as well, take care and have a wonderful day.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:47 pm 

Hey Jim, still waiting on those promised 'Ton of Pictures'.

Hope all is well!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:36 pm 

JimVarnellABH2USN wrote:
Hey everyone,
Well work is still proceeding but at a bit slower pace, the TARAWAS are progressing well I've decaled three of them. The TARAWA,SAIPAN, and PELELIU. Still more work yet to be done on all those. ENTERPRISE is still in progresing. Now if that's not enouph, I've also built another Tico and started a Spurcan. No pics yet because its still raining so that means no painting. Oh well what can you do? Till next time.

Jim, Scalemates indicates the Dragon Peleliu kit offered "changed parts" from earlier releases of the Tarawa and Saipan. Do you recall what these might have been?

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44