The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm 

Thanks all, good you hear there are other big 'Ood's progressing out there too! :thumbs_up_1:

I plan on sticking generally to Trumpeter's instruction order with Pontos stuff added as it comes up. I am literally X-ing out the boxes on the instruction booklet as I go... this gives me a bit of a psychological boost by helping me stay focused and feeling like I'm accomplishing something. I'm nearly ready to move to step two! :rolf_3:

I'm realizing that I could literally go insane trying to track down every last potential omitted or wrong detail on this project so I'm thinking I need to scale back a little on the scope of the project or I will never finish it. I've got a free 3 day weekend to work on her too; I'll try to get more progress up on the boards then, plus a revamped goal and philosophy to guide me.

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm 

Hi channell,

Regarding the hawsepipe and the tubing from the deck down to the hull, what diameter tubing are/have you used, I can see that this is going to be a task and a half, not sure if I understand you correctly, but I think my approach, is going to be fix the deck first, the slide the hawsepipe top with the tube attached down to the corresponding holes in the hull, I can see that this is going to be a PITA, but I can't see any other way, unless I do this in reverse and attach the pipes to the hull, then attach the deck and the resin hawsepipe that way.

appreciate your thoughts.

Build info:
I've sanded the hull back to her '37 shape sans the degaussing cable and scuttle ports rain guards etc, I'm waiting the arrival of some small hand drills to drill out the scuttle ports, then thin out the wall of the hull behind these ports, as I have decided that I will be adding lighting to her.

Once thats is complete, I'm ready to paint the hull, I think that is going to be a huge milestone, as painting something this big is going to give it the kick needed, I just need to find some appropriate columns to sit her on, and then attach these to her wooden base.

other build info:
I've completed 5 of the tender boats, and they are a kits by themselves. I've managed to obtain some "colour" photo's of RN tenders in the late 30's early 40's and whilst the majority of the boats are grey (based on the paint scheme of the ship at the time), I've noticed that some of the tenders appear to be a very dark RN blue, notably the captains launch.

I'm doing the tenders out of sequence, mostly because if gives me progress, I think once I've finished painting the hull, then I am going to turn my attention to the deck, and remove pretty much off of the raised detail on the for deck, and work my way backwards to the aft deck, but first I have to map the cabling for the lighting before I seal the decks down.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:30 am 

Re (Euro)Pete's question, after sanding the (kit) deck i sealed the trial sections with both Klear Kote Matte (lacquer) and Microscale Micro Flat (acrylic)
Sanding the raised planks completely flat seemed to me "overkill", but having said that, both methods worked like a treat with the wood deck stuck fast.
A chisel blade failed to lift any part. Being retired and having time on my hands, i started my project back in May, so it is quite possible i am ahead of most
you. Re the Pontos set - some of the "bits" are insanely small and almost impossible to handle so i am sure most, if not all of you, will not use the entire
upgrade. Also, if some of the Pontos "improvements" are no better than the kit equivalent, why bother to do your head in.

I was quick off the mark early on and obtained the extra funnel fret and also the extra #5 Pontos fret. Am contemplating starting on the funnels as the next
project. My hull is finished apart from the wood fore deck, so i am waiting with baited breath to see what Jason (Channel) comes up with. Up to now i have to
say i have encountered no "nasties" with either the kit or the Pontos upgrade, so relax guys and enjoy the journey.
Tim.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:40 am 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
PHANTO68 wrote:
For anyone interested, Sovereign Hobbies has the Extra Fret #5 available again, as of 1039am 10/12/2017. No idea how many there are.

We're nearly out now (they go fast) but we should have another 20 on the way soon.

I have sent you an E-mail and ordered one from your web site... I have not heard back from you...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 am 

morning all. while still futzing with the hawse pipes, i noticed in the AOTS book ( the cutaway diagram of the bow) that the deck holes and the hull holes line up at thier front edge. the kit hull holes are considerably further forward. any photos out there to show which is correct? i REALLY hope the kit deck holes are not too far back.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 am 

never mind, i found an aerial photo of hood at sea that clearly shows the hull holes ahead of the deck holes. i guess the drawings are wrong. Regards Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:30 pm 

diagram B9/1 on page 53 btw.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm 

If I can draw your attention to parts 751, 752, 753 and 754 as depicted in the upper right of Page 2 of the Pontos instructions. Part 751 forms the main structure for the ammo locker (at least I assume it is an ammo locker) and the remaining three parts give you the option of open (Parts 752 and 3) or closed (Part 754) doors. Parts 752, 3 and 4 all have hinges and Part 751 has 'dogs' along the top of the unfolded 'T' and six down the center. When folded the dogs along the top of the 'T' are around the outside of the locker which, to me doesn't make sense as that is where the hinges are. The six down the centre are obviously for securing the closed doors - two each for the upper doors and one each for the lower doors. Should the dogs around the perimeter of the locker be removed?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 am 

More holes than there should be.

Hey Guys, I've been sanding, filling and drilling this afternoon (arvo in australia), in an attempt to correct the misshapen port holes/scuttles, after about 4 hrs work I'm thrilled with the results...

HOWEVER... I see a heap of holes on the kit, they are pretty much along the water line, there are 16 to be correct... now I'm pretty much sure they are not more port/scuttles, I did notice on the first page of this thread a shot of the Hoods midships hull, with what look like bilge holes... are those they??? they look to be far too big on the kit to be these, but I can't think of anything else... Yes I know a couple of for attaching various bits and bobs...

thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 pm 

@Big Build...Just various drains; I think they are OK, but that's just my opinion.

I made some more progress:

Got the deck installed, puttied and cleared of all the various moldings. I went a bit above and beyond on the wildcat bases, cutting them off entirely and making some extra parts out of 'em... you know, because this kit just doesn't have enough parts. :tongue:

The real reason is because I was mangling them while trying to sand around them and I thought they should sit higher. Afterwards I notice there is some wood deck to put on them so I'm not so sure it was really necessary, though at least I'll have a very even deck for my efforts.

I'm currently working on the other end of the hawsepipes; as I mentioned earlier in the thread the kit hawsepipe exits aren't shaped right. They should be more round:

I sanded off the kit molding and made some identical "O's" out of sheet styrene, cut inside and and slathered putty to make the beginnings of the new hawsepipes. After everything is dry I plan on shaping them further and narrowing diameter of the actual rings to match the photo.

:wave_1:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 am 

Jason,

Thanks for the photo, my reference book does not show the hawsepipe exits clearly enough to figure out there correct shape... Dam... and I thought I was close to painting the hull :cry_3:

Also, I dry fitted the decks last night, glad I only tacked those deck strengthening inserts in the hull, have to sand them off a little as the push the hull apart, and leave a gap I'd have to fill otherwise.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

Big Build wrote:
Jason,

Thanks for the photo, (...)

Indeed. And I never realised what a fine looking bow that was.

Happy :thumbs_up_1: ~ Olaf!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 am 

I think this is funny... there is a game out there called "world of warships"... they have largely got the detail right on the Hood, from the degaussing cable to the round hawsepipes, to the correct size of funnel...

looks like somebody did their home work right for a change. :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:58 am 

Have been working on the funnels for last few days and would like to make a couple of comments. The brass wrap arrounds are
a perfect fit - no problems. But - provision is made for six holes (either side) to drilled to accommodate the stays. Using the AOTS book for
my 1/350 model, i had to drill more holes to complete the set of stays, also the aerial spreaders. Just trying to save some grief before putting
all together. Also, what colour were the interiors of the funnels painted?. I assume they were painted hull colour, but for scale effect, maybe
a darker grey colour. (?). Plus - am i right in assuming there were ladders running up the inside of the funnels leading to the walkways at
the top?.
Tim.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 am 

http://ontheslipway.com/?p=1535
http://ontheslipway.com/?p=2618

Note sure about the exact colour being painted black, but they are black on the outside (grill) so I'd apply a soothy interior black as well.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 am 

Thanks EJ. Lazy me for not going back to your previous discussion re. funnels. With no certainty as to the accuracy of
info. regarding the interiors of the funnels, i suppose we will all use a modicum of "artistic licence".

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:55 am 

I'm afraid so... every time I see a good pic of a funnel I store it or buy it (ebay). So far not so much new! But it explains why I just had to have this pic:

Attachment:
Gallery_01_08_Anson.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am 

Speaking of "holes" on the hull, waterline- is there a good diagram or any photos that show these and where they are located?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 am 

Nice photo of funnel EJ. Looks like is a "KGV" being broken up. Sad. Interesting ship in back ground.
Can we identify her?.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:07 am 

Timhan wrote:
Nice photo of funnel EJ. Looks like is a "KGV" being broken up. Sad. Interesting ship in back ground.
Can we identify her?.

Looks like some ocean liner post ww2 hospital ship duty?

Channell wrote:
@Big Build...Just various drains; I think they are OK, but that's just my opinion.

I'm currently working on the other end of the hawsepipes; as I mentioned earlier in the thread the kit hawsepipe exits aren't shaped right. They should be more round:

I think the pic you posted is misleading for the angle seen distorts oval into circle. I mean your new version doesnt feel right...

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next