The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:47 pm 

Spot & Rotley,

Thanks very much for your interest in my build of ALASKA, glad your following along with me while I make a mess of a beautiful kit. Rotley, I had not seen Mike's review of the kits yet, thank you for adding the link for it, great read.

Now, I have been doing some more work on ALASKA among many other smaller builds that I have going all at the same time, why I do this to myself is mind boggling to say the least :eyes_spinning: :eyes_spinning: :eyes_spinning:

Tonight I was working on the crane assemblies (STEP 51 & STEP 52) pretty much straight forward build process of the plastic parts, most of the photo etch is rather easy to assemble as well,

BUT............................................ :scratch: :doh_1: :scratch: :doh_1:

In the instructions for the main crane body (photo etch part C-1) I have found my first major hick up in the instructions, They tell you to basically fold the crane around as you normally would but, the top section has 4 folds and a rolled part the instructions never mention, yes the diagram shows the neatly drawn part and it is pretty nice looking but if you don't pay CLOSE ATTITION you will miss this important step. Please examine your photo etch spur closely to see the fold lines. I missed this step myself and once I realized what I had done or rather "not done" it was a bit of a challenge to get the parts cut apart (without damage). With the help of my son Chris we where able to separate the tip of the crane sand the two parts clean of dried CA and prep for a refold, the top end of the crane has a square shape at the very end of it, which is to be shaped around the end of the boom of the crane, this is not a major issue with the kit but does give you a very nice kick in the butt if you miss it. So, if your building this kit or are planning to build it, like all good modeler's, carefully read the instructions and do a close view (inspection) of the parts for those steps, it is very easy to miss this process of folding and shaping the boom end of the cranes, it is NOT like other cranes where you can simply glue the ends together and your crane is done, there is 11 folds in the main boom of the crane if I counted right, and with it being a one piece unit it is a PITA, so, I carefully removed the end "cap" (small box shape) of the crane separated the two hafts, cleaned them up and are now ready to fold them correctly tomorrow.

Again guys and gals, this is STEP 51 and STEP 52 (Ship board crane assemblies) which both cranes have 15 separate parts to assemble, the instructions fall short a bit with the directions of how to fold the lattice framework of the crane boom its self, the instructions basically show the PE part flat, then show it folded up nice and pretty but totally miss the mark on showing all the areas that indeed have to be folded to make the cranes appearance correctly.

I hope you find this tid bit of a SNAFU helpful and you do not encounter this problem as I did. Again I am very thankful for everyone following this build project, that you find it interesting, helpful, and enjoyable. I hope to have new pictures to post very soon, once I get enough work completed to show.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
1/700 scale rebuild of diorama project 960 square feet.
(Table 1 underway)Feb.2017
1/350 USS ALASKA CB-1(started Aug. 2017) 70% completed

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 am 

Very nice! I really love the Alaska class cruiser. They really were the American "battlecruisers"! This may be the first WIP build thread of this kit?

:thumbs_up_1:
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:17 am 

Jim, thanks for taking the time to explain all of this. Much appreciated! I just picked this kit up and am looking forward to starting on it. As someone who is new to ship building, it is reviews and build threads like yours that really help me out. Thanks again!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 pm 

Hey guys,
Sorry I have not post any updated pics of my ALASKA, but some life events have taken up a lot of my time as of late, I'm nearing the end of our new house being built and dealing with all that has taken up all my time pretty much and at the end of the day just to darn tired to do much of anything. I am planning to start the weathering this weekend and get some updates ready to post.

Again guys sorry for the delay but they are coming

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 pm 

Looking great so far! I need to get one of these in the near future, it's such a good looking ship...

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 am 

hondaman117 wrote:
Looking great so far! I need to get one of these in the near future, it's such a good looking ship...

Hey Hondaman for your comment, yes it is a fantastic looking ship, I have had a great time working on her, but since I have been in the process of moving into our new house and all that fun stuff I have had to shelve this build for the time being. But I am looking forward to getting back to it very soon.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

Really enjoying this one Jim. Looking forward to you getting back into it. I have the Guam in my stash so I am really into this one. :thumbs_up_1:

Current projects:
1/700 USS Catamount 1960
1/350 USS Columbia 1945
1/350 USS San Francisco 1944

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:00 am 

Hey guys, no I DIDN'T DIE!!! But I have had some serious health issues and I have had to take a long break from all model building over the past several months, but now that the weather is getting better I think I will be able to get back to work very soon and I can finally get the ALASKA finished. I'm still not out of the woods yet with the health issues but I have a good handle on all the do's and don'ts, dr's want me to take it slowly and I will, but I have to get back some normalcy of life. So I am looking forward to getting into the shop and get back to building.

I have really missed all you guys and I have a bunch of post that I need to catch up on from all of y'all, seeing all the fantastic work being done. Looking forward to seeing everyones work. Until next time fellow's have a great time.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm 

Welcome back Jim. Glad that you are feeling better and getting a handle on things. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one when you are up to it. :smallsmile:

Current projects:
1/700 USS Catamount 1960
1/350 USS Columbia 1945
1/350 USS San Francisco 1944

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:17 pm 

Echoing medicmike....Also looking to seeing more of your work on the Alaska, so GET BETTER SOON!

Question however, if you don't mind: how did you paint the superstructure parts and the deck with that camo pattern? Airbrush? Paintbrush?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:36 pm 

Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more in the future, sir. I’d like to get this one myself as I was born and raised in the great state of Alaska. Add in that I have a weakness for battleships and cruisers and it’s a forgone conclusion I’ll own this one. Your work is very inspiring!

Later,

Lee

1/700 Aoshima Mutsu
1/720 Italeri Lutzow
1/400 ARII USS Enterprise

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 pm 

Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear about your health issues, but I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and feeling better. Take your time though. We want you back, but not at the cost of a setback or something like that. And don't feel you have to rush your build. Take things slow and have fun.

PS: How"s the new house? Are you all settled yet? I'll bet that's quite an exciting time, not to mention exceedingly stressful!!

Take care,

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:10 am 

Robva,
I airbrushed the hull, and hand painted the super structure, the deck was airbrushed as well as hand painted, weathering was done using pastels and color pencils.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 am 

Larry hey buddy, yeah I guess I still have a ways to go before I get to 100% but I can get there. The new house is great, got moved in and settled, and we are enjoying the quiet life.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:

Report this post