The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm 

Hi All

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

I am new to the model shipbuilding world so if I ask silly questions please forgive me.

Over the years I have been harping on about building a scale battleship but for one reason or the next I have never gotten around to it, well turns out that those closest to me have had enough of me talking about it and decided to give me a push and purchased me a set of Blueprints for my Christmas.

The Blueprints I have been given are a 1:100 set of the Bismarck in 1940 by (if reading the German in the bottom right is correct) Hans Gally, I would have preferred the Yamato but hey its the thought that counts, haha.

Looking at these plans look complicated and I have just realised I have no idea how to read plans, why didn't I just ask for a model kit by revell or trumpeter and follow the step by step plans, haha oh yeah its the challenge and my family will regret buying these plans.

Sorry I am making this post longer than it needs to be, the first question of countless others is, how do I go about reading these plans to make a hull, any good tutorials or instructions or kind members that can give me a dummies guide? Also any other help or advice is appreciated, well maybe apart from give up and go home and scratch building isn't for morons type of thing :woo_hoo: .

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm 

Check out the threads in the Scratchbuilt (Fully Documented) section: viewforum.php?f=75

Especially the stickied threads for Iron Duke and Santee (the rest of them have since lost their images, sadly) by Ron Horabin and Bill Waldorf. Although both have since passed on, their threads should be plenty informative. Ron also did a great feature in the main site that does a similar step-by-step for his North Carolina: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... 55-rh.html

Also look through the threads in the In Progress section, which gives you greater variety in terms of materials and methods.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:22 am 

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies and the links.

Some of those models are fantastic, if I could get mines to turn out even a percentage of those quality I will be happy indeed.

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 am 

Hi all

I am eager to get on with this project but because of the time of year getting supplies isn't easy will have to get stuff middle of the week.

For hull ribs is mdf a good option? And is balsa still the best option for skinning the hull?

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:20 pm 

That's a mighty BIG project for your first scale model ship!
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:40 am 

Hi David

I was thinking of making the hull ribs and the keel from 12mm to 18mm marine ply now that you said MDF isn't very good, I was going to use thinner wood but as of its size I thought thicker wood would be better for the size of the hull.

Thanks for the suggestion of plastic for skinning, will look into it, what kind of plastic do you use and what is it like for sanding and finishing as I know some plastics are a nightmare to work with.

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:42 pm 

Hi David

I haven't worked it out exactly yet still looking but the rib spacing will be around 80mm, that's just rough.

Oh I should have made myself clearer, this is a static display model only.

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 am 

Hi David

Yeah, but I like the idea of a model in this scale and although static I am planning on having motion on the model, Turrets will move, flood lights will light and possibly I will have the rudders and propellers working too, but this model will never hit the water.

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:06 pm 

Hi All

Finally put an order in for some wood to begin my hull on the Bismarck, so hopefully a Saturday start for me :-)

A little advice on my Bismarck, the Bulkhead Line Drawings has 28 Bulkheads, for scratch building is the amount of bulkheads on the drawing enough to suffice or do you create additional bulkheads to support the planking?

The next thing I am struggling with my line drawings show a camber which I assume is the camber of the deck for water run off, but I will be making my bulkheads like ribs and will be flat so that I can then put a deck on top of this which will deal with the camber but I am struggling to find how to adjust my Bulkheads Drawings so that I can have a flat area for putting the deck onto, how do you guys deal with this?

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:32 pm 

Hi David

The Average hull spacing is a little more than my guess above, I have worked it out at 120mm

My plan for the deck is to find a base line that runs the entire length of the keel that is totally flat and have the ribs come to this point, then I will create a separate Deck that goes on top of this, finally I will work the camber on the deck when I do my hull planking, for example say at scale the middle of the ship the camber is 3mm high, then goes down to 1mm at the outer edge, then I will lay various thicknesses from 1mm up to 3mm planks then sand to get a nice smooth gradual camber from 1mm - 3mm. Hope this makes sense and is a decent way to do this?

I am just sorting out my templates for cutting and have come across a slight issue, where the stars are on my bulkhead drawing do I follow the solid line for the bulkhead shape or do I follow the dotted line?

Attachment:
Bulkheads.jpg
Bulkheads.jpg [ 252.25 KiB | Viewed 2866 times ]

Sorry for the horrible scan.

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:57 am 

Hi David

Thanks for the reply.

Its not the full dotted line bulkheads I am worried about at 1/4 and 1/2 positions, its the Bulkheads located at 12, 15, 16 ,9 and 6 as they have 2 contours, 1 if you follow the solid line and another if you follow the dotted line at the bottom.

Ok, my only concern with putting in the camber at this stage means I will not have a flat surface for my superstructure.

Cheers

Kane

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:38 am 

Hi All

Can I ask someone who has the 1:100 Hans Gally plans to do me a favour, can you measure the length and width of the ship on the birds eye view, the page with all the line drawings for Sheer and Bulkheads ect

I have a length of 2531 mm for length and 358mm for width. When I put a straight line through the entire ship the drawing is not even the entire drawing is offset at an angle.

Asked family where they got the plans and they bought them online from ebay, from the looks of it I think the plans I have are a scanned copy of the Hans Gally plans then reprinted and I don't think the scan is entirely accurate.

Cheers

Kane

Report this post