The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:05 pm 

Hi again,

Does anyone have a view of what the internal mechanics of the Yamato Type catapults look like. The pulleys and "pistons" etc. On page 304 of The Anatomy it's a bit scarce and cluttered.

Also, would the angle bracing be on all 4 side of the catapult. I can see the two external sides have the angle and the internal lower side has the angles but I can't see the internal upperside.

Thanks for looking,
Dennis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:09 am 

I can't recall if the Yamato had a Kure Type 5 model, but all the catapults were fairly similar. From an old Hasegawa model kit:

Attachments:
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26.jpg
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26.jpg [ 83.9 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #2.jpg
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #2.jpg [ 93.86 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #3.jpg
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #3.jpg [ 68.28 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #4.jpg
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #4.jpg [ 79.94 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #5.jpg
Kure catapult Type 2 Mod 5, Senzan Senpaku #26 #5.jpg [ 80.57 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
Kure No 5 Mod 2 catapult, Aoba 1945.jpg
Kure No 5 Mod 2 catapult, Aoba 1945.jpg [ 32.38 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
Kure No 5 Mod 2 catapult, Chikai 1938.gif
Kure No 5 Mod 2 catapult, Chikai 1938.gif [ 113.55 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:28 pm 

Wow, thanks for that.
Anatomy lists the catapult as a Kure Shiki 2 Gõ 5 Gata. It has a treadplat that I have Not seen elsewhere in my research, do I believe the book?

Thanks again
Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:00 am 

KevinD wrote:
A nice shot of Musashis upper-works, purportedly 1942.

From this website, where you will find some other very interesting pics.
*SNIP*

Hi Kevin - I don't frequent this thread much any more (too busy with life at the moment), but if you want to see (virtually) every surviving photo of Yamato and Musashi, feel free to peruse my Yamato website. If you've never been there you might be surprised at some of the rarer in-combat photos....

www.battleshipyamato.com

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:19 pm 

Senkan wrote:
Red Devil Squadron wrote:
How does it compare to the Nichimo kit?

Cheers,

Bill

It's a whole lot better. Not sure if it's up to the quality of the Trumpeter 1/200 models. Costs 2 to 3 times more than Nichimo and it's about that much better. The kit will take less work to finish. No frets. Very little flash. And it's basically comes complete. There are some things I don't like about it. Like they include fabric for blast bags. Thinking of molding and casting the L'Arsenal bags and use them. They should have come into this forum and asked what we wanted.

I too winced at the price of this kit on that ebay auction ... then I realized that I easily spent MORE than that customizing my 1/200 Nichimo from 2007-2009(!). The metal turrets from Konishi alone cost me $500! LOL! Then there was the Gold Medal photo etch (2 sets) and a bunch of custom made parts from Harry Ohanian on ebay ... on top of the Nichimo, which I got for $200 ... boy obsessions do tend to add up, don't they? ROTFL

it would have been so much easier if they had just had this baby back then!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:06 pm 

I’m still hearing reports that Very Fire or one of the producers are going to do a new tool 1/200 Yamato....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:51 pm 
more likely Fujimi, because their Standalone Yamato turret kit at only 1:200 is way too small......... make it 1:72 .
so why is it so small, well to me it looks like another Tamiya Yamato but at 1:200, let's hope so

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm 
Has anyone tried to map out the wreck of Yamato and what pieces are where? I'm making a wreck model of the ship based off the model at Kure. It's the only reference of the wreck to go on as there are little to no photos to go off of to guide me.

Such as how much of the bridge is seen jammed under her bow as the bridge is seen face down into the mud with the bow above it.

Mapping out of the hull at where she is broken and what pieces line up to show how the bow tore off, same with her decks.

There seems to be more material on the wreck of Musashi than Yamato when trying to look for wreck reference material. I know from trying to find Yamato wreck material. Mostly her sister is seen.

If someone can post photos of the 1/350 wreck diorama at Kure that would be cool as I'm curious on what damage the upside down main hull has as all photos of the model show only the starboard side facing the viewer and not the port side which is facing away and not seen in photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm 
Good morning all. I'm new to the site and am starting a Tamiya 1/350 Yamato 78014. This will be my first battleship but not my first model. I typically do sci-fi, but received this model from a Christmas party. I'm excited to begin work on her, but I have a question I hope the more experienced ship builder can help with. What are the best aftermarket parts for her? I keep seeing different sets of photoetch and wood decks but not sure of the best one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:59 am 

AkExia wrote:
Good morning all. I'm new to the site and am starting a Tamiya 1/350 Yamato 78014. This will be my first battleship but not my first model. I typically do sci-fi, but received this model from a Christmas party. I'm excited to begin work on her, but I have a question I hope the more experienced ship builder can help with. What are the best aftermarket parts for her? I keep seeing different sets of photoetch and wood decks but not sure of the best one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

It's going to come down to how much you want to spend. Make sure you get the right set for that older version. Get on Ebay or watch the sellers thread on here for a good price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:59 am 

@yamatowreck:
This was taken more as an afterthought, sorry for the glare and lack of quality!
https://i.imgur.com/45qd0aH.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:10 am 

Worth watching..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AP-R4ydQE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 am 

Thanks for posting this video, well worth watching indeed.

I don't know much about Musashi but there's at least one error in the video: the AA guns in the vicinity of the three main gun turrets wouldn't have been used while the main guns where firing: the blast of the main guns would have killed the AA crews instantly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Started adding gallery entries to the first page. More to come!

More entries added!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:04 pm 

I am looking for a complete set of main turrets/guns & 6.1" turrets/guns for an older 1/250 Otaki Yamato. I got this kit used and was told that I could get the needed parts to complete the kit from the IJN Hobby in japan. I have had no success. I have also been told that Arii took over the molds when Otaki closed. Is there anyone that can help me???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:21 pm 

yes, it was.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 pm 

Try to contact the current maker of the model. They might be able to help. I think Micro Ace makes the current version.

I've got the model but I had the main guns out and not sure where they are. Maybe you can get a spare and make a mold and cast them?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:36 pm 

Hey guys. Is there any desire out there for buying 1/200 Yamato parts? I've modified some 1/200 parts and was wondering if there was a market to sell these reproduced modified parts. Hopefully making the 1/200 Nichimo look more than a toy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:10 pm 

Senkan wrote:
Hey guys. Is there any desire out there for buying 1/200 Yamato parts? I've modified some 1/200 parts and was wondering if there was a market to sell these reproduced modified parts. Hopefully making the 1/200 Nichimo look more than a toy.

Yes, there would be - how big I don't know, but there was a fellow on ebay who did just that for years (resellersunlimited2007). I even sent him my Nichimo plastic turrets about 11 years ago which he used to mould, and then cast, resin replacements turrets that he sold on ebay. He also did a lot of other pieces, most of which I incorporated into my own Nichimo build.

Having said that, I know he was up in years and had some serious health issues years ago, so it doesn't look to me like he's been selling anything for a few years, if you check his ebay profile. If you are serious, try contacting him and see if he might be interested in letting you "pick up the ball" if he's no longer up to it - maybe even work something out to get the aftermarket stuff he made. (I am just "thinking outloud" here.)

I would do that before I went through a whole lot of trouble to make new stuff that he might have already made and cast - just an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:50 pm 

Once it warms up I'll probably start mold making. I already have Resellers Ebay main gun turrets. Will probably try to modify them to include barrels and blast bags. If there are parts you need let me know. The 5" turrets I have are kinda crazy looking but I think their better than the originals.

Attachments:
1 200 Yamato Superstructure.jpg
1 200 Yamato Superstructure.jpg [ 28.53 KiB | Viewed 3298 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 159  Next