The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm 

Builder 2010 wrote:
You do realize that's a model over 12 feet long. Besides the challenge of building it, you better not do it in a basement. It would look like Jethro Gibbs (NCIS) perennially building his boats in his basement with no apparent way of getting them out... it's a running gag since the show started. The Gibbs and Cox model is 1:48 and is almost 20 feet long. I swear I saw that model being moved on a flatbed trailer many, many years ago, but in thinking about it can't imagine moving it with it out in the open, so it must have been something else. If I built something that big, which I can't, it would simply lie where I finished it, never to move again.

Just dismantle the house....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 pm 

Yeah... I guess you could do that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 pm 

#Oddly Enough March 9, 2007 / 8:06 AM / 11 years ago
German man chainsaws house in two in divorce split

I think it was because he built a 1/72 scale BISMARK with no where to put it - and his wife hit the ceiling!!!!!
TIMBER!!!!!!

:rolf_3:

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 pm 

My ship in my scale ... yes, I have thought about it a lot. Pretty sure it would make it up the stairs from the Secret Underground Workshop, but how long would construction take?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:11 am 

Builder 2010 its an in club joke TF 72 in victoria. The time its taken him to get parts from America he could have finished the 1/72 rc model. There's a 1991 Missouri at 1/72 in club already along with a Nimitz carrier and I'm doing Musashi so we don't mind building them big... :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 am 

Jason, the 1/72 scale Missouri will have to wait :heh:
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm 

I am looking for pictures and a place where I can order the decals for a 1/200th scale model. I bought the 1/200th scale USS Missouri and I'm in the process of making it into the New Jersey. Thanks for any info I can get.
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:07 pm 

Robert wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for pictures and a place where I can order the decals for a 1/200th scale model. I bought the 1/200th scale USS Missouri and I'm in the process of making it into the New Jersey. Thanks for any info I can get.

What era are you building your model:
WWII
Korean War/1950s
Vietnam War
1982-1991

Decals needed depends on your answer.

Hope this helps,

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Post subject: NJ CAD Model
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 am 

I have not shared an update in a while. When I started out, I was only using actual measurements. Now I am having to guessimate more and more as sources have dried up.

I have to set some finite level of detail limits, otherwise this will never get done. Currently, there are varying level of details, depending upon where you look.

I have some details done that i have not yet added (like the SPS-10).

I have held off doing ladders (although there are a few).

The big pieces missing are the ABLs and the boat cranes (I guess I am going to have to guestimate on those). Then a lot of details.

I started this because of my frustrations with the inaccuracies of commercial kits. The hull shape on the Tamiya 1:350 is wrong. The the Trumpeter 1:200 is a blown up version of the Tamiya, making it even more wrong.

I was thinking that I should turn this into a physical model. People have been laughing at this idea but I thought a 1:192 hardwood hull made out of laminated oak (for strength) and CNC milled would be ideal. Photoetched superstructures and deck.........

Attachment:
00 Iowa CT.jpg
00 Iowa CT.jpg [ 111.57 KiB | Viewed 1850 times ]

Attachment:
00 Iowa Persp 2.jpg
00 Iowa Persp 2.jpg [ 56.08 KiB | Viewed 1850 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 am 

Scale Shipyard has a 1:192 scale hull that is pretty accurate

Very bottom of the page
http://scaleshipyard.com/Catalog%20Page ... html#WHU-B 10

Our 1/192 scale hull for the Battleship Missouri is an excellent replacement for the balsa wood built up hull that is supplied in a commercially available kit that is on the market.
This size model is large enough to be suitable for radio control operations if the builder wishes.
This hull has the anchor bolsters molded in and features the ‘twin skeg’ hull form aft just like the original ship has, and features the ends of the twin skeg’s cast in polymer for easier shaft installation.
A detailed set of scale plans comes with this hull.

16" TURRET SET: 79.95.

5" GUN MOUNT SET, 10 5" MOUNTS: $ 69.95.

DIRECTORS: 4 MK-37 & 2 MK-38: $ 24.95

RUDDERS: $ 10.95

James

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am 

James M wrote:
Scale Shipyard has a 1:192 scale hull that is pretty accurate

Very bottom of the page
http://scaleshipyard.com/Catalog%20Page ... html#WHU-B 10

Our 1/192 scale hull for the Battleship Missouri is an excellent replacement for the balsa wood built up hull that is supplied in a commercially available kit that is on the market.
This size model is large enough to be suitable for radio control operations if the builder wishes.
This hull has the anchor bolsters molded in and features the ‘twin skeg’ hull form aft just like the original ship has, and features the ends of the twin skeg’s cast in polymer for easier shaft installation.
A detailed set of scale plans comes with this hull.

That's a good choice for most people. My main line of thought at this point with this CAD model is some "in the computer" ideas I have in mind. However, in my own case and thinking ahead, if I were to build my own physical one, I want a solid wood hull of the kind you see in congressmens' offices (some of whom have aircraft carriers). Doing this would be much more expensive than getting a fiberglass hull off-the-shelf.

I've still got a long way to go on the CAD model and, when it's finished, have projects with it in mind before I can move to a physical model. I have been trying to feel out CNC technology. I have learned that it would take a 5-axis mill to build such a hull and that the cost of milling (not including materials) would be about 50% more than buying an off-the-shelf hull.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:31 am 
I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a rough 3d model, in CAD, SketchUP ETC that they'd be willing to share? Or know of a good website to download one from?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm 

lcs_01 wrote:
I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a rough 3d model, in CAD, SketchUP ETC that they'd be willing to share? Or know of a good website to download one from?

Thanks!

I have seen some on web various CAD share web sites. However, they have all been pretty "rough." I have one that is a work in progress but it's something like 60 files and several GB in sidze.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 am 

Does anyone have a clear picture of the junction between the conical foremast and the fore funnel on the Missouri?

For some reason, the 4 ships of the Iowa class each have a different configuration of wire conduits and steam pipes on the sides of the conical foremast. On the Missouri, there is a large bell shaped steam whistle on the port side of the foremast, fed by a large steam pipe that rises up from the junction of the foremast and forefunnel.

The famous Gibbs and Cox large scale model of the USS Missouri disagrees in some respects with Floating Drydock plans of the Missouri in this area. It appears the floating drydock plans reflects what is seen in photographs of the Missouri taken after the 1945 refit when she received measure 22 camo. However, one aspect of the Gibb and Cox model in this area makes a lot of sense and is not clearly seen in any photo i’ve Seen. Gibbs and Cox was the naval architecture firm that actually performed the detailed engineering designs of the Iowa class based on general board specifications, so I hesitate to dismiss their professionally done drawing room model of the ship as being inaccurate.

The point is this. One the floating drydock plans and on popular 3D renderings of the Missouri, the steam pipe comes out of the junction right next to the conical foremast and rise straight up along the rear port side of the mast before turning or the port side of mast and from,there up into the steam whistle.

On the Gibbs and Cox model, the steam pipe comes out much closer to the funnel, turns and make a short horizontal run to meet the base of the foremast, before turning up along the back of the foremast to meet the whistle.

The reason why I think the Gibbs and Cox model configuration makes more sense is the junction between the foremast and dorefunnel is occupied by a series of state rooms. The configuration shown in float drydock plans requires the steam pipe to rise up through those state rooms. By Gibbs and Cox model the steam pipe would actually come up through the space between funnel jacket and boiler uptake. That just seem to make more sense.

So I am hoping fore a clear photo of the junction between funnel and foremast to settle the issue once and for all as I detail the foreword superstructure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

The area in question on the Gibbs and Cox model.

Attachments:
1-48 BB-63 Builders Model.07a.jpg
1-48 BB-63 Builders Model.07a.jpg [ 189.97 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:22 am 

Hello,

I've been very busy with lots of works currently, but anyhow managed to upload the new screw set in 1/200 today. It proved to be a LOT more work than I thought, and I ended up designing the whole thing from scratch. Works include: thinner and more refined blade designs, new hub based on bigjimslade's extracted profile, and holes designed to fit Trumpeter's metal shafts.
Here is a pic of the design screenshot:

Shapeways' render:

I've also made a version for metal (brass/bronze) printing. Despite having to greatly thicken the blades to meet the minimum wall thickness requirement of 0.8 mm, the models as a whole look quite good. Render image:

However, the price is very high, due to the complicated process of metal printing, which can be read here: https://www.shapeways.com/materials/bronze

Bronze models are fabricated using a complex five-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D Printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. Once the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.

Molten bronze is poured into this mold and hardens quickly. The plaster is broken away, revealing your model. Raw Bronze is briefly tumbled. Polished Bronze is carefully cleaned and hand-polished. Please be aware that polishing can wear down very fine details and edges.

You could find these items on our Shapeways shop by the name Aop_Aur.

As for the 1/350 scale version, I'll rescale the new design and update the model, which is currently disabled for buying, but all sorts of works are flooding our schedule at the moment (art competition works, academic exams preparation, and piano practicing.)

Regards,
Aur

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm 

In the floating drydock plans for USS Missouri, there is a box labeled “carbon arc locker” next to every 24” and 36” search light. I assume these contain spare carbon tips for electric arc mechanism for the search light.

Does anyone have a picture of such a locker? I want to know their shape and whether they are mounted on the deck or the bulkhead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm 

Does anyone know how the Iowa davits operated? Every picture I have seen of them has been in the up position.

This looks like the locking mechanism. Presumably the springs are to minimize impact if raised to aggressively. The thing above the springs looks like a latch that keeps the davit in the up position. I cannot tell where the break point is. I suspect that the davit has been welded in the up position (the four bars around the spring?).

Attachment:
Upload.JPG
Upload.JPG [ 154.58 KiB | Viewed 2256 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:14 am 

The top "bent " piece is the davit lock, you can see the pivot point attached to the holding bracket.
It falls into a hook on the moving part of the davit

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016154c.jpg

The Spring is attached to the holding bracket and the spring retainer acts as the buffer stop against the davit.

The straps that are welded between the two parts are not part of the system but part of the mothballing process.
These would need to be removed for the davit to work.

James

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm 

I am looking for clear pictures of the antennas on the MK 37 directors in their modern configuration on the New Jersey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 239  Next