The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:24 pm 

Amazing work, Can't wait to see more.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm 

Alain,

Ok you win, I am now going to STOP building models, STOP building my diorama, and just shitcan all my materials and supplies. My railroad cars and engines look nothing like yours, I QUIT!!!!!!!!
No, really your work is so impressive, it is not just setting the bar it is the BAR.

Eastern NC Modelworks

Up coming projects:
1/700 scale rebuild of diorama project 960 square feet.
(Table 1 underway)Feb.2017
1/350 USS ALASKA CB-1(started Aug. 2017) 70% completed

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:46 am 

Hello everyone.

When making this diorama. I had decided not to post the montage of Bismarck. But looking on the net I did not find any assembly of this ship with the PONTOS Kit.

For those who later have the project to mount this Kit. I post my editing.

As much to say to you that this ship the Bismarck interests me very little. I watched at least a hundred times the film "Sink the Bismarck" and visualized the hundred editing of this ship that exists on the forums.

So thank you for giving me remarks style "it's not the right bridge color" or in 1940 the hatch left was open. This would be out of place in relation to the post objective of this montage. As for the colors of this or that element. The books we use today are interpretations of reality.
Only people who are now between 95 and 100 years old and being there at the time could share the reality of the moment. And again if they are not like me with a failing memory.

Let's go back to the PONTOS kit. There is only one word "SUPERBE" and to recommend.

Now in detail. It is very complex to mount and some parts of the assembly are not very explicit on the instructions. Beware beginner abstain. They made the choice to redo all the vertical walls in PE and to add all the details in PE. Very good idea on this kit in particular. However, it is unfortunate that the doors are not offered separately to offer the option of making them open or closed.

The same goes for hangars for airplanes. Initially I was gone to make the doors of these open sheds and show the details inside. But with the Pontos kit. This option is not possible.

And my last remark is rather dictated by the fact that sometimes I do miseries can avowable to flies. I find it unfortunate that during the creation of some closed rooms (such as ammunition boxes, cabinets etc.) they did not make the effort to check that there was no hollow when the we close these rooms.

Personally when I draw my PE, I calculate while taking into account the half thickness of the metal. For when did the editing have not seen anything. So when I see, professionals do not make this effort. It annoys me.

Another problem. I had read that Pontos wood bridge users had encountered problems with the deck's bonding around the deck. I can confirm that this is not a legend. The bridge takes off on these external edges. So I glue the latter with cyano glue.

For other wooden items to ask. I will resume my good old habit is to spray with a bomb 3M of glue to immediate (5 seconds).

Other point. Which is not serious at all. Especially at the price or are these kits. Do not look for room r2-1 you will not find it. It is well indicated on the instructions and on the board of PE. But it is not engraved.

That this misadventure happens to me when I do my boards for a unitary use. I can explain it to myself. But a company like PONTOS that is very famous in its field. This type of error is unforgivable.

Good now place to photos:

For the part of the ship between the aircraft hangars and the bottom of the chimney. I found very few pictures. So if you have any details of this part. I'll take it.

La suite au prochain épisode.

Best Regards.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:39 am 

Mmm, I think the bridge should be a different color…

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Great work as always! And very fast! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: Thanks for posting!
It looks like you will still have quite some seams to fill between decks and bulkheads after painting the sub-assemblies? Or is the fit actually better than the photos show?

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm 

Hi Marijn,

For the color of the bridge. It is the lighting that gives this hue. In reality the color is very different. It is close to a light oak color.

This is the first time I use a clear wooden bridge from PONTOS and his reaction surprised me.

For joins. Nothing is stuck. It's a representation to White. I usually ride everything up the ship (deck and PE included) by making subassemblies before starting the painting.

Thank you for participating in this post.

Best regards
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 am 

Hello Alain,

Don't worry about the bridge; it was a joke! You were asking not to say anything about correctness of colours on a modelling forum, so I couldn't resist saying something about it... :) I know nothing about Bismarck myself, and certainly nothing about the colour of the bridge. :)

Glad to hear the fit is better. Filling gaps is not the most fun part of our hobby... :)

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 am 

Hello everyone.

Here I am back with the advanced Bismarck. The PONTOS Kit is exceptional. But I had a lot of trouble climbing. I do not tell you the number of dirty words.

To make the front part including the whole of the tower of fight, the chimney and the two hangars with planes. I spent 3 weeks.

For mounting as there are quite a few places where you have to patch and sand (Revell kit assembly problems, the whole bottom including the chimney and sheds, only one block. -All is done with the upper part of the combat tower.

The Kit is Exceptional. But the record that is super often leaves us in great moments of loneliness. And there are 5 part numbering errors.

Good luck to you all.

Best regards.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:26 am 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 am 

Hi Alain,

Congratulations... very clean assembly and PE work. I am very impressed. :thumbs_up_1:

Pontos produce fabulous updates (although their instructions and parts layout can get a bit difficult).

Are you going to airbrush it all in sub assemblies...? It all looks a bit delicate for hand painting...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 am 

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comments.

For painting. I mount the maximum of elements (Even the railings) before starting the painting. I painted exclusively with an airbrush. Even for small retouching or small parts. And I spend an infinite time putting caches in place. To hide a bridge like the Bismarcke. I need at least 25 hours of patience.

Best regards.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm 

Superlative!

Thank you for sharing your Bismarck.

It is very nice to see the Pontos set before paint.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 pm 

Hello everyone,

Below are photos of the advanced Bismarck assembly with the PONTOS Kit.

Which is really exceptional in terms of richness of details. And in addition it is superbly well done.

There are some design errors and on the record. But considering the quality of the Kit. It's nothing serious.

[IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90
/922/zxMlQs.jpg[/IMG]

The assembly of the Bismarck is coming to an end. I think I can attack the painting by the end of next week.

Good day to you.

Sincerely.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm 

Hi Alain...first time I've seen this build....that's an impressive piece of PE design work that you've done on the crane sir....very good indeed..

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:02 pm 

Stunning

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm 

It all looks great! The boat work looks perfect. :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 pm 

Wonderful work, how do you paint after assembling? Oh hope you didn’t glue main turrets, the one with no rangefinders should be in the front, turret A.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 am 

Hello everyone,

The assembly site being finished. I start the painting marathon. First I spent a good week positioning all the painting on supports.

For small rooms I use a piece of cardboard. On which I put tape double sided. Then I stick on the double face the good old roll of scotch blue.

For vehicles I make a small hole in which I position a vulgar toothpick cut in its end.

For all the other pieces, I use a stick with glue at the end. It is Bruno (Bgire) who on the forums made us know this product. The cost of purchase can appear consequent for this use (There are 30 sticks per box). But I use the same sticks for almost 5 years.

Here is the link or buy: https://www.micromark.com/Pic-n-Stick

Just put the glue back in shape with your fingers. This action also has the merit of removing traces of paintings from previous uses.

Below the pictures of the building site:

I started yesterday to apply the basic layers. And tonight. All these are finished. For the latter, I no longer use primer as recommended in the majority of books about painting. I had so many problems with them that I gave up.

Now I spend a thin layer of enamel paint from the brand formerly WEN. I could use paintings of other brands. But with WEM paints, I know from experience that they have good adhesion to resin and metal. The real problem is mostly metal.

Good evening.
Best regards.
Alain.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 am 

just a very impressive sight to see it all lined up like this...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:47 am 

The sheer quantity, coupled with such high quality, is mind-boggling!
Fantastic work!

Looking forward to the paint!

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 am 

Alain, this is both amazing and daunting just looking at it. I am glad I am not the one doing this build, but even more glad you are sharing it with us. Inspiring!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next