The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 182  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm 

lcs_01 wrote:
I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a rough 3d model, in CAD, SketchUP ETC that they'd be willing to share? Or know of a good website to download one from?

Thanks!

I have seen some on web various CAD share web sites. However, they have all been pretty "rough." I have one that is a work in progress but it's something like 60 files and several GB in sidze.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 am 

Does anyone have a clear picture of the junction between the conical foremast and the fore funnel on the Missouri?

For some reason, the 4 ships of the Iowa class each have a different configuration of wire conduits and steam pipes on the sides of the conical foremast. On the Missouri, there is a large bell shaped steam whistle on the port side of the foremast, fed by a large steam pipe that rises up from the junction of the foremast and forefunnel.

The famous Gibbs and Cox large scale model of the USS Missouri disagrees in some respects with Floating Drydock plans of the Missouri in this area. It appears the floating drydock plans reflects what is seen in photographs of the Missouri taken after the 1945 refit when she received measure 22 camo. However, one aspect of the Gibb and Cox model in this area makes a lot of sense and is not clearly seen in any photo i’ve Seen. Gibbs and Cox was the naval architecture firm that actually performed the detailed engineering designs of the Iowa class based on general board specifications, so I hesitate to dismiss their professionally done drawing room model of the ship as being inaccurate.

The point is this. One the floating drydock plans and on popular 3D renderings of the Missouri, the steam pipe comes out of the junction right next to the conical foremast and rise straight up along the rear port side of the mast before turning or the port side of mast and from,there up into the steam whistle.

On the Gibbs and Cox model, the steam pipe comes out much closer to the funnel, turns and make a short horizontal run to meet the base of the foremast, before turning up along the back of the foremast to meet the whistle.

The reason why I think the Gibbs and Cox model configuration makes more sense is the junction between the foremast and dorefunnel is occupied by a series of state rooms. The configuration shown in float drydock plans requires the steam pipe to rise up through those state rooms. By Gibbs and Cox model the steam pipe would actually come up through the space between funnel jacket and boiler uptake. That just seem to make more sense.

So I am hoping fore a clear photo of the junction between funnel and foremast to settle the issue once and for all as I detail the foreword superstructure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

The area in question on the Gibbs and Cox model.

Attachments:
1-48 BB-63 Builders Model.07a.jpg
1-48 BB-63 Builders Model.07a.jpg [ 189.97 KiB | Viewed 1222 times ]

-Steve Larsen

Complete catalog of over 1800 designs for scale modelers:
https://modelmonkey.wixsite.com/modelmonkey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:22 am 

Hello,

I've been very busy with lots of works currently, but anyhow managed to upload the new screw set in 1/200 today. It proved to be a LOT more work than I thought, and I ended up designing the whole thing from scratch. Works include: thinner and more refined blade designs, new hub based on bigjimslade's extracted profile, and holes designed to fit Trumpeter's metal shafts.
Here is a pic of the design screenshot:

Shapeways' render:

I've also made a version for metal (brass/bronze) printing. Despite having to greatly thicken the blades to meet the minimum wall thickness requirement of 0.8 mm, the models as a whole look quite good. Render image:

However, the price is very high, due to the complicated process of metal printing, which can be read here: https://www.shapeways.com/materials/bronze

Bronze models are fabricated using a complex five-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D Printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. Once the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.

Molten bronze is poured into this mold and hardens quickly. The plaster is broken away, revealing your model. Raw Bronze is briefly tumbled. Polished Bronze is carefully cleaned and hand-polished. Please be aware that polishing can wear down very fine details and edges.

You could find these items on our Shapeways shop by the name Aop_Aur.

As for the 1/350 scale version, I'll rescale the new design and update the model, which is currently disabled for buying, but all sorts of works are flooding our schedule at the moment (art competition works, academic exams preparation, and piano practicing.)

Regards,
Aur

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm 

In the floating drydock plans for USS Missouri, there is a box labeled “carbon arc locker” next to every 24” and 36” search light. I assume these contain spare carbon tips for electric arc mechanism for the search light.

Does anyone have a picture of such a locker? I want to know their shape and whether they are mounted on the deck or the bulkhead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm 

Does anyone know how the Iowa davits operated? Every picture I have seen of them has been in the up position.

This looks like the locking mechanism. Presumably the springs are to minimize impact if raised to aggressively. The thing above the springs looks like a latch that keeps the davit in the up position. I cannot tell where the break point is. I suspect that the davit has been welded in the up position (the four bars around the spring?).

Attachment:
Upload.JPG
Upload.JPG [ 154.58 KiB | Viewed 991 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:14 am 

The top "bent " piece is the davit lock, you can see the pivot point attached to the holding bracket.
It falls into a hook on the moving part of the davit

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016154c.jpg

The Spring is attached to the holding bracket and the spring retainer acts as the buffer stop against the davit.

The straps that are welded between the two parts are not part of the system but part of the mothballing process.
These would need to be removed for the davit to work.

James

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm 

I am looking for clear pictures of the antennas on the MK 37 directors in their modern configuration on the New Jersey.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am 

Here's one I took five years ago.

Attachment:
NJ Modern Mk 37.JPG
NJ Modern Mk 37.JPG [ 196.66 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]

Boy... the picture size limitation had me going back and editing 4 times before I got it right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:47 am 

Builder 2010 wrote:
Boy... the picture size limitation had me going back and editing 4 times before I got it right.

+1 FWIW. Another user who shares your frustration.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 pm 

Does anyone have clear picture showing the port side of aft end of the Missouri's superstructure during 1945? I want to verify the configuration of drain pipes, cable conduits and the perforated reinforcing beams around the aft air defence platform, and whether there was indeed a ladder on both sides from superstructure level 2 to level 3 just ahead of the aft air defence platform.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 am 

Chuck,

See if this is what you're looking for:
Attachment:
BB63 Port Side 1945.jpg
BB63 Port Side 1945.jpg [ 127.48 KiB | Viewed 677 times ]

Hope that helps!

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Post subject: Antenna Platform
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 pm 

Currently, the NJ has a large antenna platform forward the aft stack. The platform has a large extension with a semicircular end that goes past the phalanx platform below.

There is nothing on that platform. Was anything there?

When I look at reference photos of the ship in service, I have found none with this extension. There is just the single bar extending across the ship. Does anyone know the story of this platform?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 pm 

Jim, here's a photo of a dome in that position from 1989: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162009.jpg

You'll find better photos of it from her sisters, especially Wisconsin and Missouri as they served for several years longer with it. As I recall, it's the control and data antenna for the Pioneer drone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm 

Jim,

Here is a stbd. side elevation view but it is w/o equipment, just the platform & supports:
Attachment:
NewJersey2011004.jpg
NewJersey2011004.jpg [ 104.21 KiB | Viewed 631 times ]

This antenna platform was an addition, sometime in the mid-late '80s. Here is perhaps a better shot showing the entire after stack yardarm with nav. points, as well:
Attachment:
497179-R1-5 (Large).jpg
497179-R1-5 (Large).jpg [ 122.27 KiB | Viewed 631 times ]

That's about all I can provide you at this time.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm 

This is what is puzzling me. Here is a 1984 picture and it does not have that platform; just the arms.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162013.jpg

The earliest pictures I have found with that platform are of the decommissioning. Even then, nothing was on the platform.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 pm 

What's puzzling, Jim? She had the dome on that platform near the end of her service, and had it removed prior to decommissioning as with her sisters.
Timmy C wrote:
Jim, here's a photo of a dome in that position from 1989: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162009.jpg

You'll find better photos of it from her sisters, especially Wisconsin and Missouri as they served for several years longer with it. As I recall, it's the control and data antenna for the Pioneer drone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 am 
Timmy C wrote:
What's puzzling, Jim? She had the dome on that platform near the end of her service, and had it removed prior to decommissioning as with her sisters.
Timmy C wrote:

That's the first picture I have seen with the dome in place on the NJ.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:00 am 

I am looking for the dimensions of the vents at the forward part of the O1 level. They are listed on the plans as bucket vents but they look like low mushroom vents.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:02 am 

Jim,

I will see if they are shown in TFDs MISSIOURI Plan Book drawings and email you a .pdf of the details in the morning (Thurs.)

And, YES - they are Mushroom Vents.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 182  Next