The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 am 

Hi Alan

thanks for your reply...I had actually got far enough to reach the 'avatar editor' but couldn't find a way of uploading an image, photo etc..... for now I have used the available 'Hood' image as it's my favourite ship anyway.....

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:53 pm 

greenglade wrote:
Thanks Adrian.....I see that I'm showing as 'guest'...any ideas why and can we upload avatar's? I've looked at my profile but can't see a way to upload our own avatar...?

cheers

Pete aka Greenglade

Hey GG, nice to have you join us at last ;)

Avatars must be submitted in this thread for approval to avoid any inappropriate or spam uploads: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62257

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
greenglade wrote:
Thanks Adrian.....I see that I'm showing as 'guest'...any ideas why and can we upload avatar's? I've looked at my profile but can't see a way to upload our own avatar...?

cheers

Pete aka Greenglade

Hey GG, nice to have you join us at last ;)

Avatars must be submitted in this thread for approval to avoid any inappropriate or spam uploads: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62257

Hey there my friend...I did note what I thought was your name in the Mod list...good to know that you're here although it doesn't surprise me knowing your history with all things nautical.....no surprise that I'm going to build Hood eh?....:)
Just waiting for Sovereign to get the Pontos kit in stock before I start, oh and of course I'll need a display case first too, should keep me busy for a while..

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Hi Pete,

We've an order in processing that I'll chase Kim up about. If you do get it from us you'll get the correction frets included :thumbs_up_1:

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:45 pm 

SovereignHobbies wrote:
Hi Pete,

We've an order in processing that I'll chase Kim up about. If you do get it from us you'll get the correction frets included :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks James

I have logged my interest on your website for the kit along with the Hood paint colour set.....I also registered earlier today...full name is Peter Seymour-Howell..

Kind regards

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:09 pm 

Yeah see thats why we buy from Sovereign Hobbies... Awesome Guys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 am 

greenglade wrote:
SovereignHobbies wrote:
Hi Pete,

Thanks James

I have logged my interest on your website for the kit along with the Hood paint colour set.....I also registered earlier today...full name is Peter Seymour-Howell..

Kind regards

Pete

Hi James

any update on the Pontos order and does it include the the funnel correction fret that I see advertised on your site/

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 am 

You will need an extra Trumpeter sprue as well... (sprue 5 I think it is, but that's from memory, so I wouldn't trust it)

That second true will give you a second plastic funnel set, from which you take the second large funnel assembly which you will need, even with the Pontos update (or you could 'cut and shut' the smaller of the two funnels to bring them up to the correct size from your original sprue), using the Pontos details to cover them both.

(Hmmm... I could have explained that a little clearer!)

James could probably supply it - or let you know where you can still get one from. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 am 

Thanks Bill..it's ok, I understood easily enough....I have also been doing a little research into the kit so had a 'heads up' so to speak, I'm assuming that the new frets James mentioned include the fret for IIRC the aft funnel to correct it's size..if not I'll place an order with James for the separate fret required....

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Pontosmodel wrote:
Following two correction PE are needed to your final works.

And maybe from November 2017 some modification of PE #5 will be corrected with #5-2 and this new version need not correction PE.

So if you don't have PE #5-2 you should ask these two correction PE frets of above from us directly(this is better way) or from your dealer.

Hi everyone. We received a shipment from Pontos today and as well as getting more of the basic 23009F1 HMS Hood detail sets, we have also received a healthy supply of the above correction frets.

These will remain available for the cost of small letter postage to customers who have supported us with their business for the detail up set itself. Some have contacted us and (I trust!) received them but many have not.

If not one of our customers already but for any reason you're struggling to get hold of these frets give me a shout.

In the interests of fairness and getting through each day though I'd ask that people avoid both the scatter gun approach of asking Kim, your own dealer and myself for frets and ending up with 3 of each which could have ultimately been distributed amongst your fellow builders instead. I'd also kindly request avoidance of carpet bombing me with messages via email, then email to ask if I got the last email then PMs on forums asking if I got the last 2 emails etc etc... It just slows me down overall :thumbs_up_1:

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 pm 

Thanks for the heads up, I have contacted pontos direct, so I will await them replying.

Good so see two suppliers being so proactive.

Thanks

Adrian (aka Big Build)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

Two questions:
1. Regarding the aft pompom bandstand, there are two lockers in the bandstand behind the pompom. Which lockers should be used??? Would they be "Armour Box Type H" on page 2 of the instructions???; and,
2. Two ship's bells are provided. Where do they go???

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm 

That's looking great Grizly, nice work sir..I have a couple of questions too which you may be able to answer for me as you are past this stage but also for Pontos. The instructions (IMHO there should be written instructions for such an involved PE set), state to remove the diagonal hatch on the quarterdeck which is for access to steering and also to remove the raised platform for the central capstan base on the foredeck, (forecastle). These are both coloured purple which according to the few words given are area's to be removed before fitting the wooden decks. My questions are, is this correct?...if so where are the parts to replace them? I have searched through the kit a number of times but can't find any reference to these parts other than the 'wooden deck' pad to sit on top of the capstan base. I ask as it will save me scratch building these items if they are in the kit or if not, then perhaps Pontos should consider updating their instructions?

regards

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm 

Pete, you might wish to check out the photos of the completed-but-unpainted model on Pontos' website to get an idea of what to look for for parts that they forgot to include in the instructions: http://pontosmodel.com/html/23009f1.html Make sure to click through the individual page links at the top for high-rez PDF version of the instructions as well.

For the bow capstan, the first page of the instructions (centre image, top) shows the capstan base to be replaced with resin part 17 (R17), which goes on top (or through?) the square wooden piece. Make sure to consult the drawn diagram to the left of the central top photograph, which includes the various PE pieces that need to be stacked on top of the resin piece.

As for the quarterdeck piece, it looks like part 916 on fret 12 would fit the job.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:18 pm 

Hi Tim

I'm 99% sure that Pontos have not included these parts...resin part R17 is the capstan itself, the part that the instructions said to remove is the square section (same size of wooden part) that was raised perhaps just under 1mm off the deck for the capstan to sit on in it's center. An easy thing to make out of some styrene sheet but better to have not cut it off in the first place if as I suspect there is no replacement for it. I have all the info given on the Pontos website in a large format, this is supplied in the kit, I can find no reference to the steering hatch and if looking at the picture of the quarter deck the hatch seems to be absent although the area looks brass but flat, no hatch? There is a part on the last fret that may be the right size but the hatch itself seems to be two hatches together with an internal part that looks more what you'd expect for an 'ammo box' than an access hatch?
I will take another look though in case I'm missing something...

cheers

Pete

edit: sorry Tim I missed your reference to part '916'...that does look the correct size and it has a circle in it which is also seen on the Pontos printed sheet for that area...this could be the part...I'll see what photo's I can find for the real ship in this area, the moulding that was on the trumpeter deck was raised and perhaps this has thrown me when trying to find an actual 'hatch'
edit:2...916 is correct, thanks Tim..:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:20 pm 

The Trumpeter raised plastic platform for the bow capstan should be removed. With the Pontos set, there is an additional square piece of wood laminate that is applied on top of the rectangle outlined on the larger bow applique. I see you already have the answer to the aft steering access.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

Grizly wrote:
The Trumpeter raised plastic platform for the bow capstan should be removed. With the Pontos set, there is an additional square piece of wood laminate that is applied on top of the rectangle outlined on the larger bow applique. I see you already have the answer to the aft steering access.

I see what you're saying, it certainly fits when looking at earlier pictures of Hood, some show very clearly that it's just an extra thickness of wooden planks...now the plastic part removed stood much higher...ok the kit could be wrong, however when looking at the picture that the 'Hood' association use to show the hawser shapes the capstan seems to be on a slightly higher platform, the photo is dated 1941 and I don't think it's a 'light' issue, it looks thicker than just a row of planks to me?

Perhaps I'm seeing things...here's one of the earlier pictures..

and here's 1941..to me the center capstan platform looks the same as the other raised platforms closer to the camera which we know the height of as they are still on the model..it certainly looks higher than the row of planks seen in the first picture...

I've noticed something else which I wish I had noticed before, I stuck the rubbing strips exactly on to the marked lines, taking a second look these do not line up with the sloped edges of the raised platforms, I'll take another look at this in the morning to see if it's worth re-positioning them, could be tricky but possible..

regards

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 am 

A couple of tips regarding the rear funnel. For those who have purchased an additional etch sheet 5 in order to expand the rear funnel you must drill four holes at the rear to accommodate the two additional funnel braces (parts 1104 as depicted on sheet 4 of the instructions). The second point refers to a possible numbering error. Specifically, I think the location of parts 1105 and 1106 should be reversed. I tried locating the two parts as specified and 1106 simply didn't fit properly in my estimation whereas if 1106 is placed where 05 should be and vice versa it all looks the part. But then what do I know as I spent my life (mostly) in and around aircraft.
Last but not least, as previously requested, does anyone know where the two ship's bells go???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 am 

"Last but not least, as previously requested, does anyone know where the two ship's bells go???"

I only have this info on my document from Frank Allen (and others):

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162889&start=20

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162889&start=40

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 am 

Builder: Your reply is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately as a retired pilot with no naval experience/knowledge would it be possible to explain the locations of the aft and main bells in layman's terms. In my case, the mid bell is obviously not going to happen as I have passed that stage in construction making it impossible to install it. I also suspect that the bell mounted in the 10 foot high cradle would not be viewable from the outside during her final sortie thereby making it a non player in my build. Maybe I'm wrong. The last does however have possibilities if you or someone could translate "at the end of the superstructure" "two or so meters above the quarter deck".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next