The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/350 IJN Hiryu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:56 pm 

Haven't been on much. But glad to see this build. I love sering it waterlined. I do all mine water line and feel your pain. Cant wait to see the finished project. The planes from hasegawa can be a psin too...
Cheers mate. :thumbs_up_1:

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm 

Hi Gabriel,

I am actually doing the opposite of your Hiryu deck. I am going to build the surrounding anti-skid plates up to the level of the wood part of the deck.
See attached pics. Note deck and deck 'plate' thickness.

I have been looking at my Hiryu kit and I have some questions.

Do you still have the surrounding plastic (anti-skid) deck piece?

Does the top rim of the hull support the surrounding plastic deck piece? If so the sheet plastic you made for the wood deck should be able to drop inside the hull. Looking at my kit this may be the case.

Did the self adhesive wood deck curl up the styrene plastic sheet you made for it?

Do you plan to have the two elevators opened or closed? One of each?

You mentioned that you have a new plastic deck piece ordered, is the self adhesive deck wood deck still usable?

I think that you may just have to beef up the 'plate' that you attach the wood to.

Mark

Attachments:
Deck-Up.jpg
Deck-Up.jpg [ 86.46 KiB | Viewed 3152 times ]
Deck-Down.jpg
Deck-Down.jpg [ 84.95 KiB | Viewed 3152 times ]
Report this post
 Post subject: 62 hours
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 am 

Okay this build took a side bar. I could not get the idea with the deck to work so I had to order a new deck which took quite a bit of time. I removed all things that were going to be replaced by PE, built the elevators, the internal workings of the wind break, and completed the support structures under the fore and aft sections of the flight deck. I also attached the two fin things that are on the aft sides of the flight deck (new technical term there).

Attachment:
62-1.JPG
62-1.JPG [ 107.76 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

Attachment:
62-2.JPG
62-2.JPG [ 111.45 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

Attachment:
62-3.JPG
62-3.JPG [ 104.11 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

Attachment:
62-4.JPG
62-4.JPG [ 143.29 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:03 am 

Dan as you are watching this build I posed an issue i am running into on the CASF thread that you might want to be aware of that I am looking for an answer for this. If you can shed any light, I would appreciate it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 am 

And, he's back. I want to see those elevators. New plastic deck?

I added some pics from Shokaku to the CASF thread that show the type platform in question.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 am 

Hey Dan! Yes, new plastic deck. What I was trying to do in theory would have worked. My skills where not high enough to pull it off. After many hours of frustration, I realized it was best to swallow my pride, admit defeat, regroup and attack again. At the end of the day I would rather have a model completed than one not because of a hissy fit on my part. :big_grin:

I saw the pictures. Thank you for those. It will be a huge help in seeing how I can make it work.

For the elevators right now it is just the kit parts. The PE covers will be added later. I am trying to avoid doing much of the top side PE until I am really close to painting just because I do not wish to destroy everything while I handle the deck. If you still want pics, I can arrange that.

Build note: The fo'csle deck alignment is crucial to getting the forward bulkhead to fit properly. I was slightly off (no exaggeration) and had to sand off the guide tabs to make it work. The good news is that sanding off the guide tabs means is still fits with the vertical attachment points with the adjoining bulkheads. So the flight deck still lays nicely on it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 am 

Good on the fit, G.

Yes, I was rooting for your flight deck approach. I have some thoughts about an alternate approach that I have been contemplating for a future build. PM or email me later if interested.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 am 

Good to see you're persisting! :thumbs_up_1:
This is a model I would also love to see finished.

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
 Post subject: 65 hours in
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 pm 

More work is being done. I have a side project I am working on as well that has somewhat distracted me.

This is the type 96 fully enclosed mount the is back starboard side. Took some time to trim off the molded on plastic stuff to be replaced with the PE.

Attachment:
65-1.JPG
65-1.JPG [ 142.32 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]

Attachment:
65-2.JPG
65-2.JPG [ 103.47 KiB | Viewed 2662 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:01 am 

Nice work.

Damn those side projects.

Report this post
 Post subject: 67 hours
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am 

Sorry about the lack of updates guys. Some of you are aware that I am also heavily involved with things outside of models. This has kept me very busy the past few months. It is starting to taper off to give me a small reprieve, and that side project (a 1/350 dio of a PBY parked at Dutch Harbor based off an actual photo) is almost done. Which I will likely upload to my gallery once completed.

I have also hit a snag I am trying to figure out and would love suggestions! Several of the platforms/catwalks on the port and starboard of the main hull have structural support beams (see previous update). Likewise several of those platforms would have the degaussing cable running on top of them so they need to be attached before I can put the PE cable on. Here is the dilemma. Painting wise I generally use an airbrush because my brush painting sucks. I am concerned about trying to paint the platform pieces beforehand then attaching the cable and having to repaint it which could lead to shading differences. I thought about painting just the "backside" of the platforms then continuing with the rest of construction, thus limiting noticeable shade differences and allowing me to seam fill if needed of the front side, attach the cable, then paint later. Thoughts?

Anyway I have a small update where I was working on some of the PE on the flight deck.
Attachment:
67-1.JPG
67-1.JPG [ 76.05 KiB | Viewed 2415 times ]

A note on the case. This is a new company for me to go through. I love Grandpa's Cabinets but I had a hard time arguing the price of this case (when factoring shipping costs it was almost 1/2). The company is https://www.casesforcollectibles.com/. The only thing I do not like about the case is that the base is plastic and semi flexible which has me a bit nervous. Certain acrylic tops can get wood bases as well.

Last edited by Angeliccypher on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 pm 

Well, yes, you can always spray the backside of the pieces, but I would think you would want the raw metal edges to insure the most secure gluing to the hull. However, I'm not sure why you think that spraying them after everything is installed would not provide adequate coverage.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:14 am 

It is more the back of the posts that will be hard to get to once they are glued in place. Especially with an airbrush.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:41 am 

two thoughts: 1) will you actually be able to see the back of the posts once in position?, 2) some degree of higher air pressure for the air brush will allow you to blow more paint into hard to reach locations. FWIW.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:35 pm 

I will have to try to higher pressure. As to the seen bit, it is kind of like tank interior and plane cockpits. "I will know it is there"! :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:46 pm 

Quote:
"I will know it is there"! :heh:

I certainly get that. You must endure the unendurable. :puppy_eyes:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:24 pm 

Could you pre-paint it in black instead of gray so that any areas you can't get paint to are "in shadow?"
Higher pressure can cause other problems....

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 pm 

Well, I was thinking just a couple of squeezes under high pressure. Not a sustained pass.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am 

Just for clarification, the areas I am talking about could like be seen to some degree. The parts circled in red is the support beam which is going out away from the bulkhead towards the top. There are several of these spots. The gold line is the PE degaussing cable. The area circled in blue is the platform which the cable runs over and the support beam rests. This is the same area as the photo previous to the deck PE update.

Attachment:
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG [ 302.55 KiB | Viewed 2195 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:30 am 

Personally, I think you'd be fine, particularly if you shoot from below.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next