The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 50  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:05 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Thanks, great!

I try to look at both WP33, WP12, your build, and all photos I could find, keeping in mind the date of photo in relation to mods.
How did you do the degaussing cables? Eduard PE looks nice, but is a bit off in form at the bow..

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:05 am 

I also bought the Eduard set. They incorporate the double and quadruple character of the degaussing cables, but to my eye they look too flat. The PE is also pretty thick, and I felt it might be hard to sit really tight against the hull, and it might end up looking too heavy. I also wanted to incorporate the sagging sections visible on photo's at Coral Sea, so I had to use something else anyway.

Ideally, I would have used styrene rod. But there is none available that is thin enough, and I failed to stretch sprue with sufficiently consistent diameter for such lengths.
So instead, I used nylon fishing wire, I believe 0,14mm diameter. I glued it with Tamiya thin cement (green cap). This doesn't dissolve the nylon, but it did dissolve the kit plastic enough to stick the nylon wire to the hull. The bond is not super strong, but as long as you don't handle to model on it too much it suffices.
Below each boat stowage (hull pockets, and sides of funnel and bridge), there are rows of metal cleats protecting the degaussing cables. I added these with very thin plastic strip.

Where did you spot how the cables run at the bows? I have never found that information and just took my best guess... I believe I got the rest of them pretty correct though.

Cheers,

Marijn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:57 am 

I have seen on Paul Allen's research ship Petrel's Facebook page that they are onsite at the Lexington's sinking position. Hope it is recognizable after all of the explosions that ship went through above and below water.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 pm 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
I have seen on Paul Allen's research ship Petrel's Facebook page that they are onsite at the Lexington's sinking position. Hope it is recognizable after all of the explosions that ship went through above and below water.

It was just announced 30 minutes ago:

She sleeps...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:23 pm 

I hope we can get some more insight into the bridge and 1.1" tubs out of this as well.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm 

So here's a photo of one of her 1.1", in an position that I (and others on Reddit) could not identify - any takers? Not sure where the original poster found this photo, as it's not included in the video.

Attachments:
piano.png
piano.png [ 3.6 MiB | Viewed 2149 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm 

It's here...
https://www.paulallen.com/uss-lexington-wreck-located-rv-petrel/
There's a slide show at the bottom of the page. Only the one 1.1 mount pic, but they have found several Devastators in what looks like really good shape...raising one wouldn't disturb remains and would be a huge historical find. I don't think there are any surviving examples on display anywhere, are there?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 pm 

Thanks Doug! Didn't see that slideshow the first time around - guess it took a little longer to load.

What amazing state the aircraft are in - if not for the damage, they look as pristine as the day they rolled off the assembly line.

Also, really struck by this image of one of the AA tub splinter shields that got separated: https://www.paulallen.com/wp-content/up ... verlay.png The blue (5-N or 5-S) certainly comes through nicely!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 pm 

Also looks like some 5-D Dark Gray to the right of the gunnery placard.

Another graphic states they found seven TBD-1s, three SBD-3s, and one F4F-3.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

I just saw about this today and was fascinated as I assume most of you were. I saw Paul Allen and his tweets but I don't do Twitter or any of the other social media as I have more than enough with just Facebook. So I was looking for a way to communicate with someone out there and found the Facebook page for the Petrel. Noticed a comment from the mother of one of the crew saying that was how they communicated.Cool! So I communicated! Left a long message detailing our concerns about the bridge, the 1.1's and asked if any pictures had been taken of these areas. If yes could they post them and if not were they still searching and could they look at these areas? Haven't had any response yet but the time is different. If I get some response within a couple of days I will post it here.

James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:54 pm 

lvsquarerigger wrote:
I just saw about this today and was fascinated as I assume most of you were. I saw Paul Allen and his tweets but I don't do Twitter or any of the other social media as I have more than enough with just Facebook. So I was looking for a way to communicate with someone out there and found the Facebook page for the Petrel. Noticed a comment from the mother of one of the crew saying that was how they communicated.Cool! So I communicated! Left a long message detailing our concerns about the bridge, the 1.1's and asked if any pictures had been taken of these areas. If yes could they post them and if not were they still searching and could they look at these areas? Haven't had any response yet but the time is different. If I get some response within a couple of days I will post it here.

James

Hopefully you mentioned your Dad was on board - maybe that will prompt a response, or a faster response.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
lvsquarerigger wrote:

James

Hopefully you mentioned your Dad was on board - maybe that will prompt a response, or a faster response.

I did. thought it couldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 am 
Saw the sight survey map with ship and debris field. Unfortunately the ship is in 3 pieces. Section of the stern and bow not to far apart and the midships section of the ship 4 miles away from bow and stern, Also the bridge has been blow n off the ship and rest in between bow and stern and middle sections of the ship.
One thing I noticed when the video showed the stern that the paint on the aft 1.1 sponson and aft round down was the same when Mr Ballard found the Yorktown. Yorktown as Hornet was painted in navy blue bellow Hangar deck and ocean grey with 1942 colors similar to sky blue above the hangar deck. It seems Lexington might have kept her navy blue/ocean grey paint after all. She is not overall navy blue in the Coral Sea. Her color after 70 years is the same as Yorktowns, They were only sunk a month apart. I have the Lexington book that shows her in Pearl removing her 8 inch guns and she has the I believe they called it Measure 12 Cammo. Hornets was modified with waves as was Wasp. I think she did not get repainted because in the coral sea pictures you can see were the ocean waves have altered the pain near the water line. My thoughts. Further video and study required I am sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am 

To me the best source for this topic is the WP 33 pg 50/51 photo that is considered the last best photo of the Lex before smoke obscured so much of the detail that we endlessly debate here. The only real problem is that it's really grainy and hard to decipher detail That said, to me, it appears the whole ship seems to be the same color. It could be argued either way but that's how I see it. And the detail of the front of the flag bridge is also very grainy and it's impossible to say one way or the other if it has a passage at the front like the Sara or not. Just more fuel for the fire.

Also no response to the message I left on their site yet. Still hoping for either a reply or pics.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm 

Wiper's book shows her being repainted at Pearl in April, when her 8 inch gun mounts were removed. This photo seems to her in one overall color:
Attachment:
Lexington050842_NH 76560.jpeg
Lexington050842_NH 76560.jpeg [ 153.11 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

You can download a hi-res version here

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 am 

Timmy C wrote:
So here's a photo of one of her 1.1", in an position that I (and others on Reddit) could not identify - any takers? Not sure where the original poster found this photo, as it's not included in the video.

Since the videos and other pics are of the stern I would hazard a guess at this being one that replaced the 3" gun on the rear platform.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am 

Just viewed the latest video from Petrel and they show extended views of the rear 5" guns. What struck me was that the splinter shielding goes straight across, not up and down like the forward ones, and that the dividers between the guns are shaped with the rise.

James

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:33 pm 

Do you have a link?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm 

Here is the link to the homepage of the Petrel:

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/

James

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:44 pm 

Dick J wrote:
Do you have a link?

Here's the ~12minute clip:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 50  Next