The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:22 am 
Any one know if there going to put the port holes from CVN 65?CV 6 in the new Enterprise CVN 80? The port holes are in the CVNs 65 bow in the front of the ship between the bridle sponsons. Those are from CV 6 as I am sure you know,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am 

This is CV-6 Enterprise, the WWII ship and not the nuc.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:01 pm 

DennisJP wrote:
Any one know if there going to put the port holes from CVN 65?CV 6 in the new Enterprise CVN 80? The port holes are in the CVNs 65 bow in the front of the ship between the bridle sponsons. Those are from CV 6 as I am sure you know,

According to the NHHC, the CV-6 portholes were installed in the Captain's cabin, not the bow (which would make sense, given the increased exposure to the elements at the bow).

But yes, they are slated to be re-installed on CVN 80: http://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/ ... ise-story/

Quote:
One of six porthole frames and covers removed from the bridge of USS Enterprise (CV-6) in 1958. These portholes were installed in the Captain’s cabin aboard USS Enterprise (CVN-65) and are slated to be installed aboard the next ship to bear the name of Enterprise, CVN-80.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 pm 

Nice gestures no doubt. I was once involved with the Enterprise Association and their members often argued about who was responsible for the failure to keep E intact as a war memorial. Many of the members considered the scrapping as almost a crime against history. (Many speculated that Arleigh Burke had it in for Halsey - I can't confirm that.) Whatever happened the funds never appeared - someone thought a floating war memorial would be a waste of money. Let's think though. If CV6 was sitting in New York Harbor and contained as many representative "war birds" as possible and other exhibits, would anyone go see it? I think so.
Eric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:49 pm 

I hope it would have been kept in commission like Constitution and Victory. I'm not exactly sure when the USN stopped naming their CVs after famous ships or battles and started naming them after political leaders but I regret it. (The Vinson? Stennis?) If we're going to honor Presidents, there should be some empty slots for the Carter, Clinton and Obama. In any case there are a number of notable US ships with names available and even more battles. I don't think it would have diminished the fame of the Enterprise if the real ship was still with us. It did, after all, have a war record that is simply astounding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 am 

Enterprise reminds me of a British figure in the Battle of Britain, who said words to the effect of "I didn't have to win, I simply had to not lose."

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:23 am 
Classic Warships
Classic Warships

I may have missed it in this discussion, but..............

When did CV-6 go to a muted deck marking system ?

I have a picture of her flight deck with high contrast marking sometime early in the war, March (?) and thought that she went to a low contrast deck marking system about May 1942 ?

Thanks for any help !
Steve Wiper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm 

Enterprise's stern plate, Riverdale NJ.
Attachment:
BigEinRivervale01.jpg
BigEinRivervale01.jpg [ 151.04 KiB | Viewed 3133 times ]

The stern plate is located in a Veteran's Park in Riverdale, NJ. The man who was in charge of scrapping Enterprise lived in Riverdale, and made sure this part was saved for posterity. There is a small display inside the library (next to the park), with artifacts from Enterprise. More photos posted on the MW Facebook page (which you should already be following!).
Attachment:
BigEinRivervale06.jpg
BigEinRivervale06.jpg [ 70.76 KiB | Viewed 3133 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:30 pm 

Thanks, Martin!

I hope I can visit there sometime as I would just like to actually touch the nameplate. That would be awesome.

Kelley

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:44 pm 

Hello,

Can anyone please inform me the type of AA Gun Directors used on CV-6 USS ENTERPRISE 's 40mm Quad Bofors from September 1942 to December 1942?
Was it the Mk-44 Gun Directors ?
or the Mk-45 Gun Directors (used on BB-57 USS SOUTH DAKOTA based on http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/57jk.htm) ?
or the Mk-49 Gun Directors (used on BB-56 USS WASHINGTON based on http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/Misc/Mk49/BB56x2-18Aug42.jpg) ?
or the Mk-51 Gun Directors ?
I appreciate for any clarification and information.
Thanks in advance.

CV-6 in 10NOV1942
https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/nh-series/NH-81000/NH-81076.html

CV-6 in 21NOV1942
https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/nh-series/19-N-47000/19-N-47849.html

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:57 pm 

From the photos I have, USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) had Mk 51 directors for directing her quad 40-mm mounts. I believe that she had Mk 44 directors for her quad 1.1-in mounts prior to installation of the 40-mm mounts.

The Mk 44 director was an interim director intended for use with the quad 1.1-in mounts until the Mk 49 director was available. The Mk 49 director had development problems that delayed deployment and the Mk 51 director was developed as another "interim" director, which ended up being found superior to the Mk 49 director and lasted well after the Mk 49 director program was cancelled in September 1943. The Mk 44 director was never used with any 40-mm gun mounts, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 am 

Mk 45s were only used on battleships as far as I've seen - I believe they were considered too heavy for carriers.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:08 am 

I have the new 1/700 Trumpeter Enterprise kit and it indicates 4-50 cals in mounts P/S of bow flight deck and 2 P/S of bow mounted 1.1. Is this correct? There are little details to this kit that are not so accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 am 

The new Trumpeter kit in 1/700 has what appears to be 50 cals being placed in the very forward tubs on the flight deck (above the bow mounted 1.1) and a 20mm on either side of bow mounted 1.1. There is nothing for the stern boat deck with the exception of the 20mm cut into the stern flight deck round down above. If no 50 cals per previous post what then was in those forward tubs and is placement of the other 20mm bow and (and) maybe stern accurate?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 am 

Which kit are you talking about, Bill?

(Be sure to click "New Reply" and not "New Topic" when viewing an existing thread if you want your post to show up in that thread)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:45 pm 

There has been a great debate going on over who makes the best 1/700 CV-6 Enterprise...Tamiya (scales off and bad hull) Trumpeter (bad hull) and the new Academy (good detail and best hull yet)...what about the new trumpeter CV-6 which I understand is a NEW KIT! I got one at the IPMS show in Phoenix and was curious how it compares to the Academy kit? Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 am 

I think the Trumpeter one has something’s better than the Academy one. It has usable 5”/38 cal Guns, the Academy ones appear to be blobs reminiscent of the blobs for 5”/25 cal Guns in the old Matchbox Indianapolis kit, though actually better. But you can replace them for about $10 so not a great big deal unless you’re on a budget.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm 

So has anyone seen pictures of the newest Trumpeter Enterprise (CV-6) and if the hull has been much improved? Debating buying that or the Academy one. Thanks.

Building: 1/700 USS San Francisco 1942 fit
1/700 CV-3 Saratoga 1944 fit (Tamiya kit)
1/48 Beaufighter MkX (Tamiya)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 pm 

Hi all, as this is my first post in this CASF thread please forgive me if whar I ask is out there already'

I have a mad notion to make a dio of CV-6 and CVN-65 passing each other at sea. (And another with CVAN-65 circa 1962 and CVN-65 circa 2012....)

I have the Tamiya kit of CV-6 and Revells old faithful CVN-65 and understand the Tamiya kit is underscale for 1/700 but should fit nicely with Revell's 1/720 kit.

My question is what era does she represent best? And then what paint scheme would that be? (Translated to Humbrol if possible please!)

Thanks.
Roy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:10 pm 

roym wrote:
I have the Tamiya kit of CV-6 and Revells old faithful CVN-65 and understand the Tamiya kit is underscale for 1/700 but should fit nicely with Revell's 1/720 kit.

My question is what era does she represent best? And then what paint scheme would that be? (Translated to Humbrol if possible please!)

Unfortunately, the Tamiya kit doesn't have a single timeframe. The bridge and its associated 1.1" mountings were from the period prior to the Santa Cruz battle (bridge altered during repairs between Eastern Solomons - Aug '42 - and Santa Cruz - Oct '42, bridge is Aug '42 or earlier). But the Tamiya kit has the 40MM twin mount tubs around the forward flightdeck which were not added to the ship until late 1943. The 20MM battery is most consistent with the Oct '42 timeframe, with the cutouts in the after rounddown. Basically, you can pick your "era" because something will fit the time, while other parts will need to be altered to fit - no matter which era you pick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 49  Next