The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:39 pm 

Attachment:
deckupdate_11.jpg

A fresh coat of Humbrol H72 Matt Khaki Drill

Attachment:
deckupdate_12.jpg

The base-layer is modulated a bit by blending in H72+white, H110 Natural Wood, and H110 + Burned Sienna oils

Attachment:
deckupdate_13.jpg

First plank pass, painting in individual planks. A mix of H72 and H110 (2:1 or so) and H72+white, painting with a small brush (but not too small) and a damp brush standing by for corrections. The last (lightest) layer appears very light didn't really turn out to be matt )reflecting the light a bit) but I'll have to wait to tomorrow I guess. Corrections and one or two more passes should be required I think. I though this would really take a lot of time but it was about 90-120 minutes per colour, trying to add colour randomly. Estimating the final appearance is tricky as the wash will pull all the colours together... fingers crossed!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 am 

Another colour pass, this time Humbrol 87 Sand... went slowly this time... :pout: The deck below the boat deck needs another pass of H72 + white and then I think I can add the wash...

Attachment:
deckupdate_14.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am 

I have been following this build for literally years... I never thought I would see the day when the deck was being painted... and when next, assembly begins. I'm sure you were unsure as well!

So many have built the Trumpeter 350 Hood and there are many of us now building the Trumpeter 200 Hood, but none, even at 200 scale, have more detail, more accuracy or have involved as much research, care, commitment or passion for accuracy and character as this build.

I often look at On the Slipway for more information, ideas, motivation and, every time, especially when I do something with my model, marvel at the work you have already done, often years ago, that are only now beginning to be appreciated as fully as it deserves.

I, as you know, also have one of the few WEM 350 Hoods ever made.

I know its faults, and there are many, but for some reason, the WEM Hood seems to have the 'feel' of HMS Hood, it has her character... It is impossible to explain without sounding weird and probably impossible to believe unless you, too have this model and have researched Hood in any real depth, but it does have something... and I am not sure what it is... but even my blank waterline hull, sitting beside me on my bookshelf as I write this, feels like it is full of power and pride...

Thank you EJ.

Thank you for the work you have shared with us all over the years and thank you for continuing with her.

Last edited by Bill Livingston on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am 

Thanks Bill; though it almost sounds like I have a terminal modeling condition :big_grin: I have to admit it's good some painting is now actually being done and now that paint is on the model it doesn't look so bad! Fortunately (?) all things WEM are no longer visible. It was a nice kit, but starting from full scratch would probably have been easier. I still have to do some repair work on the hull plating from the early attempts (arg)... ah well, live and learn. Starting with the WEM kit made a lot of sense at the time! I need to finish the model and start the next one... I wanted to say: out of the box... but it's a ship with few surprises and much better references! Should only take me 10 years this time....

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 pm 

Hello :wave_1:

Your tenacity is an example for me .....what a pleasure to see your decks finally put in paint ,moreover with talent :woo_hoo: fan of your work from the beginning (2008 if my memory is good??)
bravo :thumbs_up_1:
cheers
Nicolas

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm 

great painting skills EJ...can't wait to see it with the wash applied....

Pete

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm 

The colour looks very realistic! Keep the photos coming! Can't wait to see the painted completed model!
:thumbs_up_1:
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:47 am 

Thanks all!

Perhaps this is not the best time to tell you I bought the WEM kit around 2000? Ah well, a lot happened but not to the model :wave_1: I just saw the results at daylight and it is exactly what I wanted as far as colour is concerned. Some minor fixwork today.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am 

That seems to strike the right balance with the contrast. Are you intending darker areas to suggest dampness on deck, etc?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:52 am 

Not sure yet; I will add some areas with wear & tear, dirt and salt deposits (white washing)... I'll also depict her at sea so perhaps! First I have to do the entire ship :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 am 

love the deck! very good stuff.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 am 

Hello EJ!

The wash will not only bring out the seams, but most importantly will tie it in with with the other colors of the ship too.
Some weathering like you are planning will add extra interest indeed.
But I think you made a pretty perfect base for that already. Both colors and contrast looks spot-on to me! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
The wash will not only bring out the seams, but most importantly will tie it in with with the other colors of the ship too.

And it will pull the colours in the deck a bit closer too. Some colour exercising was really needed to see the difference in shade from freshly applied to dried to washed. I think I'll paint the deck details/objects in the hull colour before applying the wash.. basically a airbrushing one barbette and hand-painting a few smaller details.... I also have two matt coatings for experimentation... if at all needed. And adding these lines was a nice exercise in improving hand-painting skills :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
I think I'll paint the deck details/objects in the hull colour before applying the wash.. basically a airbrushing one barbette and hand-painting a few smaller details.

Good idea! :thumbs_up_1:
The transition between the hull colored deck objects and the planking will need to be shaded too anyway.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 am 

Oh sure, plus the wash for some of the gray areas acts as a nice prefilter... then it's shading and highlighting the few hatches plus adding about 30 ammo lockers stored below the boat deck. Enough for a couple of days!

I also noticed the primer layer in some areas (also part of the deck) are a but dustier then I thought and may need to be cleaned a bit... anyway, good exercise in disaster recovery :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:31 pm 

Attachment:
winch_12.jpg

Steam winches done! Time for wine! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:13 pm 

Wow - very nice build. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:44 pm 

EJ...

I hope that wine is a bottle or two of Petrus...

With that amount of work, its the least you deserve! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 pm 

............neat, sharp with seemingly perfectly repeatable symmetry

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
JB

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 am 

Thanks all. Seemingly perfect is just what I was aiming for :big_grin: The wine has been consumed. I noticed I forgot to add one wire to each of the winches so they are nearly done. They were a critical step in my deck preparations... being on the deck and all.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next