The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:20 am 
Hi, Kurt,

I do know that people on SHAPEWAYS have a 1:48 SO Type radar mast, and might have some 20mm, on MK. IV and MK. X mounts, I did see a 37mm on there too ...

Does this help you?

Tim

kurt wrote:
As far as the Merit boat goes the only thing I would like to see is a photo etch instrument panel. I still would like a Higgins or an earlier Elco. Something different. I do like the idea of 1/48 vs 1/35. I am still surprised that the 1/48 didn't get a greater reception.
Kurt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:41 am 

davidwaples wrote:
biggles2 wrote:
Hi David Waples; I notice you are also a member of the PT Boat Forum. I tried to register there (filled out the reg page - no typos) but never received a confirmation email and log-in. I tried reg again, but now I get a pop-up saying that address already exists, so now I can't register at all any more! And I can't find a Help or Contact address. Could you offer me any help in this? Or am I Personna non Grata there already? :big_grin: :wave_1:

Greetings,
I reached out to the administrator for you but haven't heard back myself. I'm guessing he's away at the moment? I'm not aware of you achieving a "special" status on that site. I try to avoid those conflicts as best I can. :-) If you don't hear back in the next week or so let me know and I'll try and help figure it out.
Dave

Hi Dave: Thanks for your help. I was just joking about the "Personna non Grata" status! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:11 pm 

My Merit "early" Elco arrived today and this kit is a jewel! If Merit and Trumpeter are the same (Wasan) company, its like Chevy and Caddy. And I have to agree, the size is just right (too bad the other model companies don't think so)! Coming from a the sticks and string crowd, this is classic museum scale. I was able to order some of the Bluejacket Shipcrafters Al Ross PT photo etch. I emailed them and they called me on the phone to discuss it, talk about personal customer service. I talked to a real live person called Nick. If they weren't 7 hours drive away I would drive to the company's store. It will give me an excuse to visit my daughter in Maine, then it will only be 2 hours away! This will be a nice project. I have limited modeling time due to family commitments but I'm in no rush. I will try to post pictures if I can. Now if I can only find a higgins!!!

Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:28 am 
Kurt,

What does the BLUE JACKET P/E set include? How much is it?

kurt wrote:
My Merit "early" Elco arrived today and this kit is a jewel! If Merit and Trumpeter are the same (Wasan) company, its like Chevy and Caddy. And I have to agree, the size is just right (too bad the other model companies don't think so)! Coming from a the sticks and string crowd, this is classic museum scale. I was able to order some of the Bluejacket Shipcrafters Al Ross PT photo etch. I emailed them and they called me on the phone to discuss it, talk about personal customer service. I talked to a real live person called Nick. If they weren't 7 hours drive away I would drive to the company's store. It will give me an excuse to visit my daughter in Maine, then it will only be 2 hours away! This will be a nice project. I have limited modeling time due to family commitments but I'm in no rush. I will try to post pictures if I can. Now if I can only find a higgins!!!

Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:58 am 
You know, Kurt ...

I was thinking. If you want a Higgins PT, Christian Shepperd-Cupurro of Malta produces hulls of PTs - including a Higgins - in 1:35, 1:48 an 1:72 ... here: http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/the-hulls. He supplies the hulls and decks only - but, if you can get Dr. Ross' excellent drawings, you could give them to someone at - like a SHAPEWAYS and have them make you what you need ...

Tim

Tim Connelly wrote:
Kurt,

What does the BLUE JACKET P/E set include? How much is it?

kurt wrote:

Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:09 pm 

I should receive the PE in a day or two and I'll take a picture and post it. The sheet was $30.

Kurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:20 am 
OK. Thank you.

kurt wrote:
I should receive the PE in a day or two and I'll take a picture and post it. The sheet was $30.

Kurt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:21 am 

I am thinking about making fiberglass 1/35 scale hulls of the 78ft Higgins Pt boats .Does any one in the states have one out already ? :huh:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:52 am 
diStefan3D
diStefan3D

For those of you guys who build PT boat models - you might be interested in this product

20mm Mount Mk-12 MOD.1 with Oerlikon gun. Mounts inside PT boat turret, and which carries the 20mm Oerlikon gun set.

USED: The first PT's that retrofitted the Mk-12 20mm mount in forward turret. Squadron 9's PT's 154, 155, 156, PT 157, Squadron 25's PT-115, Squadron 10's PT-165., Squadron 12's PT-195.

Available scales:

1/72 Revell Kit http://shpws.me/MILH
1/48 Merit Kit http://shpws.me/MIBW
1/35 Italeri Kit http://shpws.me/MIjM
1:32 Lindberg Kit http://shpws.me/MIwp
1/24 Carriage http://shpws.me/MJFU and 20mm Oerlikon Set http://shpws.me/MJG1

Set include:(20mm Oerlikon gun, gun mount, connections and carriage)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:30 am 

Was chatting by email with Luis at Shapeways the other day about the feasibility of a new project for PT boats... The Airfoil that was installed on the Charthouse roof on SOME PT Boats like the 559.

Much to my surprise and pleasure he took the ball and ran with it. They are now available through Shapeways in 1/35 scale and possibly in other scales as well.

Please take a look on Shapeways if you are interested in this part for any of your PT boat models

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 am 

Thanks for working on this with Luis. I asked if he would make this available in the higher quality Frosted Extreme Detail (FED) and he has. For another $1 well worth it. He also set it up for the PT Boats Small Parts Set 2.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 am 

Hello PT people
I’ve got one of the new mould Revell PT 109 in 1/72 which looks rather nice on the sprue. I’ve started looking around for a colour scheme as I have a medical condition that prevents me from building anything straight from the box. Does anyone here know what PT boat Douglas Fairbanks was on in the Mediterranean in 1944? Just the number would get me started, anything more would be a bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 pm 

Unfortunately, I also suffer from the same condition but mine has progressed to taking unrecognizable hulks and trying to make them resemble actually ships!

He skippered the 303, a Higgins Boat rather than the Elco PT-103 class that the kit depicts. Not sure if he skippered other boats.

Good luck on the new kit!
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 am 

Dave, thanks for that. I thought it could be a Higgins. Oh well, I’ve got one in 350th or could scratch one in 72nd. At least I know what I’m looking for now!
Half ahead.
Al

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 am 

dhenning wrote:
Unfortunately, I also suffer from the same condition but mine has progressed to taking unrecognizable hulks and trying to make them resemble actually ships!

He skippered the 303, a Higgins Boat rather than the Elco PT-103 class that the kit depicts. Not sure if he skippered other boats.

Good luck on the new kit!
Dave

What a difference a number makes. http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/05303.htm Has some photos including some ‘nose art’ and there’s an internet thread that describes a photo as Fairbanks at the helm of PT303, though unfortunately the photo seems to have dropped off the thread. I’m onto you, Fairbanks...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 am 

Alblyth wrote:
Dave, thanks for that. I thought it could be a Higgins. Oh well, I’ve got one in 350th or could scratch one in 72nd. At least I know what I’m looking for now!
Half ahead.
Al

Italeri is releasing a 1/35 Higgins Boat late this year or possibly early next year.

Have fun with the new Revell kit. Would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 pm 
I started to try to update and detail the old Revell PT-212 Higgins kit in 1/96-100th scale years ago (in fact, I was working on it in a hotel room in Atlanta while on a business trip on 9-11-01). Found that it was a mix of different classes of Higgins boats, suffered from lots of simplified shapes and missing many details. Worked on it on and off for several months and stopped when it came time to try to make four matching Mk. 13 torpedoes and roll off racks. Still around somewhere in a plastic shoebox of doom. Despite all the bits and pieces added and scratch building accessories, I still couldn't shake off the toy like look of the original kit.

Wife and kids gave me the Italeri PT-109 a few years ago for Christmas. Won Best Ship at Scale Fest at Grapevine, TX with it last year and it is proudly displayed in my office now. Hopefully the new 1/35 Higgins will come out in time for this Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:51 pm 

Does anybody have a source for 1/72 scale combination engine room vent/entry hatch for late-model 80' Elco PT boats? I've got ideas about re-configuring a Revell PT 109.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 pm 

Like what, parts or plans?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am 

Sorry for not being more concise. I was hoping to find the parts, maybe after-market 3D printed ones since I'm not much good with photoetch.

Otherwise, if someone has the plans I will try my hand at scratchbuilding.

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next