The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:24 am 

Vepr157 wrote:
Good detective work there Maarten!

A while ago I did a comparison between piping TAB drawings, photos, and the kit, and found that the sail was very out of shape. I 3D printed a significantly larger sail with a flatter top designed by using the drawings, and it seemed to match photos very well.

Hi Vepr,

That's very interesting! Could you please post pictures of the new sail, together with the kit version, pointing out the differences?

And: are the 3D prints of your sail available for sale or otherwise?

Maarten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:14 pm 

I don't have access to my models right now, so I can't show you the difference. All I did was scale piping TAB drawings (that are already on this thread I think) to 1/350 and made a simple model in Inventor which I then printed out. The real sail is longer, taller, and the top is sharper/flatter instead of the almost semi-circular top of the kit sail.

No, I can't offer anything for sale.

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 pm 

I might be able to CAD a new sail up, but give me a week or two to look at the plans. I'm also about to start my summer job and dealing with a very sick kitty with cancer, so while I plan on doing these sails, I don't want to commit without clearing my plate off first, so to speak.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:03 pm 

Floating Drydock plans ordered. I also have an old BWN Daniel Webster kit in the stash to check anything I cad up against. I seem to vaguely recall that Mike Bishop served aboard the Webster so I tend to think that he would have made "his" boat as accurate as possible. Does that sound accurate or was I imagining things?

Kitty is still with us, thank fully. She has bone cancer but seems stable right now so I might have a tad more time. Given the choice between cad work and a family member, the family member comes first but I will get done what I can, when I can. No ETA on when the plans will arrive.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 pm 

Okay, the plans are here. I'll start working on the sail tomorrow. They only have little outlines for where the masts go, not actual drawings of the masts themselves. These are among The Floating Drydock's more basic TFW plans (not meant as a knock - I'm sure there was and remains little about these boats that isn't restricted in one form or another when they were drawn), so what are everyones' thoughts about the masts?

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:42 pm 

The plans are definitely a tiny bit rough, with the plan and profile showing slightly different lengths for the sail. Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:26 pm 

Okay, how does this look? I want to get the rough shape down before hitting the details. Also, should the sail have a flat base or a slightly curved base? The plans show a curved base but as I don't have the kit in front of me I thought it best to ask. As soon as the basic shape is deemed accurate by you all, and you guys who served aboard these boats would know best, I'll open a new thread in the Virtual Modeling section of the site. The filet around the top of the sail is also hard to determine in the plans and photos. Is it rounded enough or should it be rounded more? It looks okay to my eyes, but again, best to ask.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 pm 

Does the side profile look okay? This came straight from the FDD plans. I know that the top needs to be filleted more, but is the side profile acceptable?

Many thanks,

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 am 

Quote:
Also, should the sail have a flat base or a slightly curved base?

The curve is dependent on the hull: in the Ethan Allen class the sail is located at the curve towards the bow, so the rear is horizontal but the forward edge is some 8-10 inches lower than that. In the Lafayette/Franklin there is hardly any curve at all in my opinion, as the sail is located further aft relative to the bow. Again, if any, there is only a slight curve at the front end, a few inches at most.

In 1/350 it is negligible for the Lafayette/Franklin, but for my Ethan Allen I had to add a sliver of about 0.5mm at the front to avoid a gap. In any case, the front of the sail should be vertical relative to the datum line.

Is the top of the sail to your liking? In my view it seems too angular, and should be more rounded, both in side view and cross section.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:31 pm 

Working on it. The FDD plans show the Lafayette's lower sail profile as rather curved, so perhaps they exaggerated that lower sail to deck curve?

Sorry the images have vanished. Photo bucket is acting poorly. I may need to find a new image hosting site.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 pm 

Sorry this has taken so long. Between work and illness, this has been a pretty horrid year. Anyway, back at it. Do the basic shapes look right? That's the big thing. It's amazng how hard it is to get a supposedly simple shape to look right. As soon as you all approve the basic shape and dimensions I'll start adding the planes and bridge.

https://imgur.com/a/LwH5G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:09 am 

Hey, one last thing. One are that the plans are unclear on is the flatness of the sail's top. Is it actually flat with fillets there where the sides meet the top, or does the top of the sail actually have a subtle curvature or camber? I've been going back and forth between the plans and the various photos and different angles seem to show slightly different shapes. Can anyone "who was there" confirm the flatness or camber of the top of the sail?

Thanks,

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 pm 

aptivaboy wrote:
Hey, one last thing. One are that the plans are unclear on is the flatness of the sail's top. Is it actually flat with fillets there where the sides meet the top, or does the top of the sail actually have a subtle curvature or camber? I've been going back and forth between the plans and the various photos and different angles seem to show slightly different shapes. Can anyone "who was there" confirm the flatness or camber of the top of the sail?

Thanks,

Bob

top of the sail has camber so it curves.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:40 am 
Gentlemen,

I am new to this thread and am a retired USN submariner (Hospital Corpsman). My first boat was the USS Ethan Allen (SSBN/SSN) 608 back in the early '80s. Anyway, I, too, have looked for a kit of the Allen for decades but have been hopeful that Micro-Mir would release a kit of her. I wrote to them making that recommendation without success, so, I have decided to convert their Lafayette to an Allen. This thread should prove to be most helpful!

I look forward to posting my progress after the kit comes in!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:04 pm 

Hi Bill,
Welcome to the group. We look forward to your progress with your model.

Best regards,
Tom

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:26 am 

Guest wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am new to this thread and am a retired USN submariner (Hospital Corpsman). My first boat was the USS Ethan Allen (SSBN/SSN) 608 back in the early '80s. Anyway, I, too, have looked for a kit of the Allen for decades but have been hopeful that Micro-Mir would release a kit of her. I wrote to them making that recommendation without success, so, I have decided to convert their Lafayette to an Allen. This thread should prove to be most helpful!

I look forward to posting my progress after the kit comes in!

Bill

Hi Bill, Welcome to the group! I did the same conversion, first in error, but thanks to additional info through this thread with corrections. Let me know when you need any help!
Attachment:
DSC02258 reduced.jpg
DSC02258 reduced.jpg [ 187.64 KiB | Viewed 9291 times ]

Maarten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 am 

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to get started on my project but it is taking awhile for the Lafayette to arrive. I will keep you all informed.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 am 

Maarten,

Your Allen looks great! My goal is to build her as she appeared when I was onboard, all black. Yours looks like her appearance between 1963 and the early 1970s. Nice approach!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 am 

William wrote:
Maarten,

Your Allen looks great! My goal is to build her as she appeared when I was onboard, all black. Yours looks like her appearance between 1963 and the early 1970s. Nice approach!

Bill

Thanks Bill! Yes, I chose that colur scheme to have at least one of my Boomers stand out a little different; black is quite dull as you have a couple of these on your shelf... And of course the most important fact in history of Ethan Allen (the only firing of a life nuke missile - Frigate Bird) was in 1962, so possibly in that colour scheme.

My most important observation as a modeler though is that, while Ethan Allen shares the sleek looks of the Lafayette, the proportions of the ship are quite different, being shorter and the sail closer to the bow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:20 am 

Gentlemen,

I just ordered the Polar Bear Models Soviet Yankee 1. Boris has agreed to custom make the Ethan Allen (SSBN 608) for me as well. Perhaps some of you would like one as well.

Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next