The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/700 Amagi diorama
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am 

Thanks guys! :)

Vladi wrote:
Well, that will be SOMETHING once again then :) . Looking forward to it!

Me too!
It will be a lot of work, but is a scene I have been dreaming of doing for 30 years now... (since I was 10 and discovered the 1/100 scale Victory in the Heller catalogue). :)

Rui Matos wrote:
- Do you have a favorite point-of-view on the Dio, Marijn?
(I always have in my works)

Good question! :)
The main viewpoint is this:

But the composition is really meant to work from both sides, and I think there is plenty to see on each side to invite the viewer to have a look at the other side too.

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:56 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Many thanks everyone for your most kind words! :cool_1:

It was a fun ride for me too! :) Glad you also enjoyed!
Next one will basically be this, in 1/300 scale:
Attachment:
The_Battle_of_Trafalgar_by_William_Clarkson_Stanfield cropped - small.jpg

Should be fun too! :big_grin:
And I think I'll be in touch with Dafi a lot... :)

Cheers,

Marijn

Oh say what, a Trafalgar scene in 1/300? The height of the masts alone will be fun to stash it away in the house, your significant other will be happy with that. I speak from experience. My 1/350 Yamato is quite the big boat and to make things worse - because of lack of space currently - sleeps in our bedroom in a huge plastic box :big_grin:

Definitely one I look forward to see unfold in the future!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am 

This has to be my absolute favourite diorama. :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm 

marijn van gils wrote:
GewoonWouter wrote:
Well, it sure was a fun ride!
What's next?
Martocticvs wrote:
How are you going to top this one?

It was a fun ride for me too! :) Glad you also enjoyed!
Next one will basically be this, in 1/300 scale:
Attachment:
The_Battle_of_Trafalgar_by_William_Clarkson_Stanfield cropped - small.jpg

Should be fun too! :big_grin:
And I think I'll be in touch with Dafi a lot... :)

That will be quite an adventure! Looking forward to it - please don't repeat the artist's errors regarding paint schemes on the ships, though :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 am 

Thanks Martin! :)

Many thanks pascalemod, that's a very nice compliment! :smallsmile:

GewoonWouter wrote:
Oh say what, a Trafalgar scene in 1/300? The height of the masts alone will be fun to stash it away in the house, your significant other will be happy with that. I speak from experience. My 1/350 Yamato is quite the big boat and to make things worse - because of lack of space currently - sleeps in our bedroom in a huge plastic box

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:
Luckily, 18th century men 'o war were much smaller than WWII battleships. The ships should stand less than 25cm tall, which keeps it quite manageable. Together with seascape and base, it should still fit nicely in my display cabinet.
I really like the idea of an 1/100 scale Heller Victory, but chose 1/300 scale for the exact reasons you discribed.That, and to keep the workload manageable too... :big_grin:

Martocticvs wrote:
That will be quite an adventure! Looking forward to it - please don't repeat the artist's errors regarding paint schemes on the ships, though :D
[/quote]
Don't worry! I'll be doing the necessary research... :) The painting is just a nice inspirational image, but I won't be copying it.
But if you have some info on the correct paint schemes, and how this painting is wrong, I would be much obliged!
I did recently read some discussion on how the continuation of the stripes over the bows of Victory might be correct after all. So I'm guessing it's not so simple... :)
And information on Le Redoutable is even much more scarce, so if you have any ideas on her paint scheme, and also on her bow and stern decoration, please let me know.

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:22 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

I took digital colour samples of HMS Victory's supposedly accurate paintwork in February if it's of any interest to you Marijn?

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:36 am 

Those sailing ships in battle scene will be impressive! I'm looking forward to seeing your techniques for the flames and smokes!

Congrats on the Amagi, too! :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:25 am 

Marijn ... hard to say something ,I thought your Lex dio was unequalled , but now it has a good contender, simply the best dioramas I ever seen . I loved since the beginning, thank You for this valuable lesson in modelling.

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:11 am 

Awesome, simply awesome... all the way through...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 am 

Many thanks guys! :) :) :)

SovereignHobbies wrote:
I took digital colour samples of HMS Victory's supposedly accurate paintwork in February if it's of any interest to you Marijn?

Absolutely! Please PM me.

Aop Aur wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing your techniques for the flames and smokes!

Ay, then I have to disappoint you I'm affraid...
I have seen some smoke and fire effects look excellent on photograph (when not zoomed in too much), but so far I never, ever, seen any look good in the flesh. Maybe a matter of peronal style and taste, but since I want my models to look good in the flesh first and foremost, you will just have to imagine the fire and smoke... :big_grin:

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:47 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Ay, then I have to disappoint you I'm affraid...
I have seen some smoke and fire effects look excellent on photograph (when not zoomed in too much), but so far I never, ever, seen any look good in the flesh. Maybe a matter of peronal style and taste, but since I want my models to look good in the flesh first and foremost, you will just have to imagine the fire and smoke... :big_grin:

Cheers,

Marijn

I completely agree... I think it is because we are all used to seeing 'still' images in photos and can imagine the actual real scene when we see fire and flames on a diorama... although some still look fairly terrible, there a a small number of modellers who can achieve a pretty realistic effect that works quite well in a photograph.

But in real life, I have never, ever, seen a diorama with flames and smoke that looks anything other than an unrealistic mess... and I am sorry off that offends anyone.

Similarly with models weathered to suit other modellers or to be more accurate, photographs taken by modellers for modellers illustrating a weathering technique on a finished ship.

The models that look by far the most realistic are the ones done with some finesse (Martijns Amagi being a perfect example).

Heavily weathered is fine. To be realistic, or to match the weathering seen on the prototype, some ships need to be heavily weathered... but that isnt the same as heavy handed weathering... or 'weathering for modellers', which seems to be in fashion again now (remember all the grief Verlinden used to get...!).

I think this Amagi thread is one of the best master courses on weathering a ship model... or any model to be honest, that I have seen for quite some time.

And now I cant wait to see how you work through Victory at Trafalgar... that is going to be another masterclass... Its going to be a long, long project. But all the rest of us, those of us who aspire to become better modellers, will benefit so much from the experience of following your progress...

But back the point... it’s interesting that some modellers will work towards a model that works well when photographed and displayed online or in a print... but for models that are finished to work well in real life... fine, finessed and beautifully executed weathering - regardless of how heavy it is... is an absolute must... and this Amagi is a fantastic example of really high quality work. And in my opinion anyway, smoke and flames just don’t work... not in real life when you are viewing the model in real time... as opposed to a ‘frozen in time’ moment you see in a photograph... and only then if it is done extremely well... and I have only ever seen a couple of examples that appealed.. and even they would look strange and unrealistic in real life...

...and so I am so relieved you wouldn't consider smoke and flames... :cool_2:

Last edited by Bill Livingston on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:23 pm 

Are you absolutely sure it's 1/700 scale? Maybe 1/70?....1/7? :-)
This is a magnificent piece of work.......jaw-droppingly impressive

Bravo indeed, sir!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 am 

Congratulations, Marijn, on another outstanding diorama. It was fun to see your project go from vision to fruition. How did it do in the contest?

Even though I don't have anywhere near the skills to pull off something like this, I'll still offer a few observations anyway. I think the land areas could have used a little more variation and mottling in coloring. Unless they were tidal flats that were replenished on a regular basis with an even coat of silt, they looked too uniform to me.

The other thing is the texture of the water. Even in a light breeze, something that size would have calm spots on the leeward side and a slight chop over the broader surfaces. You have to remember that photos often don't capture the true surface texture. For example, photos taken of ships at Mare Island often have water surfaces that look almost glassy. It's not because the water was calm, but because the exposures were so long that the motion of the water averaged out.

Despite my little nit pics, you should be proud at how well all your hard work came together. Thanks for sharing.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:29 am 

Bravo Marijn!

The model has a great feeling of being all of a whole, not separate components on a single base .

The individual modelmaking highpoint of your considerable finesse og painting expertise, snsitvley scratch-built bomb and fire damage,
seamless water joining at the vessels, and the attendant small vessels all blend together beautifully.

I am also glad to see that you implemented successfully my rigging suggestions ! :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

all over-- most excellent :cool_2:

....will we see it at Telford? in competition? --

Best wishes

JIM B :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:32 am 

I was lucky to see this model at the Moson Model Show 2018 and I have to say that it is perfect. Precise details on the ship model as well as outstanding dioramas. Marijn it is fantastic work and great inspiration for me.

:thumbs_up_1:

Milan

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:16 am 

Many thanks for the nice words everyone! :)

@ Bill: I agree! Weathering should be in function of the story: if the subject is heavily weathered, so should the model; but if the subject is clean the model should reflect that too. But whatever the goal, any kind of painting should always be done with the highest possible level of finesse. But of course this takes time and effort. We cannot expect to properly weather a model in a few hours, while it took us months to construct…

Mike C wrote:
How did it do in the contest?

It won a gold in its category and best ship model overall (out of 100+ ship models), so I can't complain! :)

Mike C wrote:
I think the land areas could have used a little more variation and mottling in coloring. Unless they were tidal flats that were replenished on a regular basis with an even coat of silt, they looked too uniform to me.

The other thing is the texture of the water. Even in a light breeze, something that size would have calm spots on the leeward side and a slight chop over the broader surfaces. You have to remember that photos often don't capture the true surface texture. For example, photos taken of ships at Mare Island often have water surfaces that look almost glassy. It's not because the water was calm, but because the exposures were so long that the motion of the water averaged out.

Many thanks Mike! It is too late now to apply this to this model, but I will certainly keep it in mind the next time. It is this kind of observations that enable me to push a little bit further every time! :)

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
....will we see it at Telford? in competition? --

I'm affraid I won't be able to make it to Telford this year Jim… Three children at home limit the amount of modelling weekends I can take… :)
But maybe you should visit the continent sometimes too? :big_grin:
Thanks again for the rigging tips; they were most helpful!

Many thanks Milan! You know your Amagi was also a great inspiration for me! http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:43 am 

Congrats on winning! Your little amazing Amagi certainly deserves that! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

I have never done a complete diorama before, let alone any other effects like the smokes, so I don't know how it may turn out. Indeed it is better to leave them out, as doing it properly is quite impossible in the smaller scales, and it might ruin the perfect diorama! :thumbs_up_1:

Now I can't wait to see your next project's first post! No rush though! :heh: :woo_hoo:

Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:46 am 

Peerless. That's all.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 pm 

Congratulations on your contest win! That much work deserved to be rewarded.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:31 pm 

I've been away for a while and was lurking when you were just starting this diorama. Now I see it finished and all I can say is WOW!.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next