The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 am 

Im gonna be doing a little fun project, a USSR destroyer Provornyj (smth) which is basically a captured Z33 Germany 1936 destroyer. Question is what paint schemes were used on soviet destroyer at the time?

1) Deck - orange brown
2) Hull - dark gray with blue tint?
3) Boot topping - thin white line and wide black line under neath?
4) Antifouling - red or green?
5) white pennant number on sides (confirmed)
6) off white canvas on some railings (confirmed)

Thoughts?

Any color reference for post WW2 destroyer of USSR that would give me a good idea in which direction to go? Was there big difference in paint of gray ww2 destroyer vs post ww2 destroyer in USSR? I allow that they had huge variation in paints due to availability etc but I wanna get basics right i.e. dark or light gray, and red or green antifouling paint, basically.

Here is the ship in question that I will paint:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 am 

If you can acquire a copy of “German Naval Camouflage Vol II 1942-1945”, on page 113 they have a color rendition of Z33, starbord side, but you can make out the Soviet style brick red decks. The drawing is waterline, so it doesn’t show lower hull color. If you have other Soviet ship references from the same period, you could extrapolate. The man who did these renderings is Eric Leon. You could get his contact information at info@seaforthpublishing.com. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am 

Dan Banks wrote:
If you can acquire a copy of “German Naval Camouflage Vol II 1942-1945”, on page 113 they have a color rendition of Z33, starbord side, but you can make out the Soviet style brick red decks. The drawing is waterline, so it doesn’t show lower hull color. If you have other Soviet ship references from the same period, you could extrapolate. The man who did these renderings is Eric Leon. You could get his contact information at info@seaforthpublishing.com. Good luck

I do have his book, both Admiral Makharov (Nurburg) and Z33 are present there, but yes, no waterline. Ill reach out to him, not much to lose from that! I referenced world of warships game for some ideas for now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 pm 

Anyone else? Maybe other sources? Is World of Warships studf on ussr well researched by game developers? Could use their stuff for reference..