The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 am 

Hello all,

I have gone well into designing the Tirpitz foretop deck, but just came upon an issue... The Mirosław Skwiot's drawing shows the supports under the foretop platform in side, fore, and aft views, but none of top (plan) view, which would most accurately depict the angles of each support. I attempted to trace the angles from the given views, but soon I noticed that the plans are slightly erroneous as each view isn't in correspondence with the others. I am not certain if the more complete Gally plans provides the information on this, but if they do, I'd be happy if anyone could share sectional scans of the platform supports. If not, I'd like to know how to buy the entire plans from Hans Gally, since I will need it for my Tirpitz project anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:12 am 

Even more detailed than Gally:
Attachment:
Vormars TP.jpg
Vormars TP.jpg [ 89.2 KiB | Viewed 6824 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am 

Hello all. I am building Trumpeter's 1/200 Bismarck, and have several questions. I'll post them one at a time.

First, the bridge decks. Bismarck had three bridges, using the terms in "Anatomy of the Ship" (please correct me if there is a more accurate term), the Admiral's Bridge (high one), the Lower Mast Deck Bridge (surrounding the armored conning tower) and the Bridge Deck (lowest of the three). The lower two bridges are shown in most models as having a wooden grating covering them, but I can only find one picture showing a wooden grating. Two other photos show them as dark grey paint on steel. The wreck photos also show steel decking, and the gratings didn't burn in the fire as the area is not burnt, evidenced by the old Baltic paint that shows through on the bulkheads.

I read somewhere (can't remember where unfortunately) that the gratings were removable. If that is in fact true, it would make sense that when Bismarck was headed out on an operation, they would have been removed and stowed. Does anybody know whether the gratings were there or not during operation "Rheinubung".

I am modeling her as she was when she left Norway on 21 May 1941. Any answers would be appreciated.

Post subject: Bismarck Main Deck Boats
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 am 

Between the two forward 155 mm turrets, on both sides of the ship, are two small boats hung out on davits. According to what I have read, The Bismarck landed her main deck boats in Norway prior to her leaving. The boats atop the hangers, both funnel and aft hanger, remained.

Question is, what happened to the davits for the forward boats? There is a photo that shows a suspicious set of brackets on the bulkhead just forward of turret S2 that appears as they would be perfect for mounting the davits. They are just forward of the break in the bulkhead where it changes direction and angles in toward turret S1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:59 am 

PCB5656 wrote:
Hello all. I am building Trumpeter's 1/200 Bismarck, and have several questions. I'll post them one at a time.

Hi PCB -
I moved your questions into the Bismarck/Tirpitz thread. Please put any new questions inside this thread and not individually inside the "Battleships" forum.

Some helpful tips for CASF threads can be found here.

Thanks!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:14 am 
Hello

Herr Nilson

Nice drawing. Where did You find it?

Thanks
best regards
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:00 pm 

Thanks for the drawing, Herr Nilsson. :smallsmile: I too want to know where you got drawing from. It actually shows details many other drawings miss. Does the plan contain other views of the platform, e.g. profile, front and aft? And do you have them at a higher resolution? I would appreciate you e-mailing me at aopaurshipmodels(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks!
Aop

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm 

It is with a heavy heart that I report that on 8 March 2018, Bismarck's crew became complete once more. Bernhard Heuer, her last survivor, joined his shipmates on that date. :cry_3:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:33 am 

PCB5656 wrote:
I read somewhere (can't remember where unfortunately) that the gratings were removable. If that is in fact true, it would make sense that when Bismarck was headed out on an operation, they would have been removed and stowed. Does anybody know whether the gratings were there or not during operation "Rheinubung".

They were not removed.

PCB5656 wrote:
Question is, what happened to the davits for the forward boats? There is a photo that shows a suspicious set of brackets on the bulkhead just forward of turret S2 that appears as they would be perfect for mounting the davits. They are just forward of the break in the bulkhead where it changes direction and angles in toward turret S1.

From photographic evidence it seems they were still on board. The brackets on the wall are just for one davit. The brackets for the other davit were on the barbette of the foremost 15 cm turret.

Chriss76 wrote:
Nice drawing. Where did You find it?

German Federal Archives

Aop Aur wrote:
I too want to know where you got drawing from. It actually shows details many other drawings miss. Does the plan contain other views of the platform, e.g. profile, front and aft? And do you have them at a higher resolution?

There are no other views in that plan. I think the resolution is good enough for your purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:40 am 

Herr Nilsson wrote:
German Federal Archives

There are no other views in that plan. I think the resolution is good enough for your purposes.

Being more specific: see 'Antwort #10' on this forum page: http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php?topic=12964.0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 am 

Being even more specific:

RM25/4-46 :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:20 am 

It looks like Stefan Draminski and Janusz Skulski have teamed up again and in September they will release "The Battleship Bismarck (Anatomy of The Ship)".

Thought I would update everyone in the thread, I cannot wait for this one,
:woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:17 am 

Although, it's not as if there's exactly a shortage of available information. I can easily understand the market for the most recent Yamato tome, which at least revealed some interesting stuff. I can't imagine there'd be much "new" Bismarck material being brought to light, although it was a little spooky to learn, from a TV show, that a major telecommunications cable lies across Bismarck's debris field... :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Being more specific: see 'Antwort #10' on this forum page: http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php?topic=12964.0

Thanks for the link, Maarten! So the archive website offers drawings for the Tirpitz? The website has a language choice, but it seems their english page provides much less info than in its original language.

Herr Nilsson wrote:
Being even more specific:

RM25/4-46 :big_grin:

I didn't see that number in the forum answer...is that the number of the foretop drawing? Could I order it from them?

Thanks,
Aop

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 am 
Hello every body

Because now I build Bismarck model in scale 1:100 in paper version I'm looking for someone who can have any photos from inside of aft plane hangar. I wrote an emails to Bundesarchive an other german museums and there are not any photos. I want to build the hangar with equipment. I only know what are the stiffeners inside.

Link to my building log
https://papermodels.pl/showthread.php?tid=9319

thank you for any help
Best regards
Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:24 am 
Hello

Dear Mr Herr Nilsson.

I read in You post that You have copies of original drawings series Rm25/4-......
I have all of Rm25/4 copies of original drw the same like in Bundesarchiv Rm25 but series 3 Rm25/3-....
Maybe You can exchange?

Thank You for info
Best regards
Chriss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:18 am 

Hello! IS there a good image that shows Bismarck hull plating on bow and underwater hull? I want to recreate it subtly. Anyone has a good drawing diagram?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 am 

Hi

I dont think so, but I saw some clear photos of stern part of hull but in bundesarchive are shipyards drawings of tirpitz hull platting (the same Bismarck hull).
Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 am 

So if I'm going to build a Bismarck in 350 which kit is the best to use?
Tamiya, Academy or Revell (basic or platinum editions)???
Is the Revell Platinum worth the price?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 am 

Take the trumpeter 1:200 with the Pontos photoetched parts set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 61  Next