The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 pm 

All the sea chests are on the flat bottom and are if I remember correctly shown on some of the general arrangements drawings of the double/triple bottom. The only photos I have seen of them are in the Missouri Grounding Report (available at HNSA) and are generally rectangular with a coarse louvering.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:
All the sea chests are on the flat bottom and are if I remember correctly shown on some of the general arrangements drawings of the double/triple bottom. The only photos I have seen of them are in the Missouri Grounding Report (available at HNSA) and are generally rectangular with a coarse louvering.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I have a good drawing of where the sea chests are from a layout drawings of the engineering space. But the sea chests are all shown as circles. Where the external openings also circular? Or is the circle simply where the round piping connects to the inboard part of the sea chest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:

There are some on the sides and curved areas as well. Examples is are at FR 74-1/2, FR 154-3/4, FR 161, FR 171. That list is not complete.

Generally, they have 3 bars across the opening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 pm 

chuck wrote:
I have a good drawing of where the sea chests are from a layout drawings of the engineering space. But the sea chests are all shown as circles. Where the external openings also circular? Or is the circle simply where the round piping connects to the inboard part of the sea chest

The openings appear to vary in shape. Rectangle, round, oval. Nearly all have oval manhole above.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 pm 

Hello all...

This is most likely not a completely new topic, but here goes. I am getting back into scale modeling after an extended absence from the hobby and trying to get back up to speed with the changes. I understand that the Model Master line has changed and that they now offer both enamel and acrylic paint lines. Which of the two is better suited for for ship modeling colors and application wise by airbrush and/or hand ? I have the original release of the Tamiya kit along with GMM PE, a Pontos detail kit and Model Monkey 3D parts. I plan on keeping very busy with this project once I start on it here soon. Consider myself a beginner in this and so am open to any and all informational help. I hope this doesn't duplicate the topic as I could not find an earlier post...thanks in advance

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:20 pm 

Bob, which Tamiya kit are you working one? The WW2 Missouri or the 1980's /90's Missouri and New Jersey?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm 

rocketmannw wrote:
Hello all...

This is most likely not a completely new topic, but here goes. I am getting back into scale modeling after an extended absence from the hobby and trying to get back up to speed with the changes. I understand that the Model Master line has changed and that they now offer both enamel and acrylic paint lines. Which of the two is better suited for for ship modeling colors and application wise by airbrush and/or hand ? I have the original release of the Tamiya kit along with GMM PE, a Pontos detail kit and Model Monkey 3D parts. I plan on keeping very busy with this project once I start on it here soon. Consider myself a beginner in this and so am open to any and all informational help. I hope this doesn't duplicate the topic as I could not find an earlier post...thanks in advance

Bob

Check out this thread in the Camo and Coatings section: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=104955

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 pm 
Hello Jon.....the 80's/90's New Jersey....Tamiya 78005

Hello Timmy....thanks I'll check it out

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 am 

For airbrushing consider the option of mixing your own acrylics. Golden makes a fine line of airbrush suitable colors which can be mixed to achieve an accurate representation of whatever Naval colors you might desire. Available at many craft and art supply stores.

Here in this site much reference information is available on mixing and colors required (not too many).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:43 pm 

Hi Guys,
Today FedEx delivered ONE copy of my new hardcover USS New Jersey book, which is scheduled for release in late March.

We are giving this book away on January 24. No purchase necessary to win - just go to www.DavidDoyleBooks.com and click on the link on the front page to access the entry form.

Good luck!

Sincerely,
David Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 pm 

Thank You David! Always exciting to have new titles arrive on the scene!

Best Wishes! Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:04 pm 

Question, Gentlemen:

I have the digital E-book of the USS Missouri, BB-63, from The Floating Drydock as well as the set of plans drawn by Tom Walkowiak of this same ship, also from TFD.

On page 32 of this E-book there is a picture of the front section of the model of the Missouri done by Gibbs & Cox, the designers. In this photo, as well as several others in the book, there appears some 9" searchlights mounted on the railings of the ship.

Attachment:
Searchlights - Gibbs & Cox Model.jpg
Searchlights - Gibbs & Cox Model.jpg [ 163.62 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]

These searchlights are also referenced in the plan set I have, as well as on page 56 of this E-book, showing the deck detail from frame 26 to 38. (See below.)

Attachment:
Searchlight - Plans.jpg
Searchlight - Plans.jpg [ 99.93 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]

My question, Friends, is this: Did they or did they not actually exist on the Missouri during the time it was in the Pacific theater in WWII? Nowhere have I ever seen these searchlights on any photograph of the actual ship. Are they something planned on by the designers and never implemented, or were they there and I just never saw them before?

Thanks heaps -

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 pm 

The similar ones that I have seen on the signal bridge appear to be removable. Most likely they could be easily installed her as needed. The most likely use? Spotting survivors etc in the water. Possibly useful at night if streaming paravanes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 pm 

Larry,

I would tend to agree with Fliger747 in that those are portable searchlights - any deck mounted stanchion that was provided with a female pipe mount would work for mounting those lights. Being that the drawing and the model show them in proximity to the 20mm tub would indicate some elec. box would probably be the power source for such units.

I would also agree that I have yet to find a photo of one on any of the actual ships. This could have been another item that was envisioned by the designers but not carried out in actual construction.

Hope this helps,

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:10 am 

These searchlights are mounted in a particularly vulnerable position. If they are not removed in rough seas they are unlikely to survive water coming over the bow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:38 pm 

Thanks for the feedback, Gentlemen. Having never seen these searchlights anyplace else, I had a hunch they were never added. But, I never thought that they might be portable and could be moved from place to place.

Thanks for the input!

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 pm 

This version of the 12" signal lamp on the Iowa's was typically installed by the flag bags on the 03 level and also on the wings of the Flag bridge one level below the navigating bridge. These used either a 1000w incandescent bulb or a Xenon unit.

Whether or not any were placed aft of the second funnel by the aft flag bag, I do not know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 am 

steinerman wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Gentlemen. Having never seen these searchlights anyplace else, I had a hunch they were never added. But, I never thought that they might be portable and could be moved from place to place.

Thanks for the input!

There is another set at the corner of 04 level platform around the fore funnel midship. I suspect these 9” lamps are used for shipboard illumination as well as light search light duty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm 

I don't find any references to a 9" searchlight, possibly the battery powered handheld model? There is no 04 level aft of the navigation bridge wings near the stack except for a small landing for the inclined ladders on the aft of the stack. I think the ones you are mentioning are immediately aft of the flag bags on the 03 level and the mounting base remains on Missouri today.

Attached is a photo of the light mounted on the flag bridge of Missouri. A flexible power cord plugged into a power source on the deck nearby. Looks as if it merely slips into a enlarged stanchion and is easily removed. The arm is provided to allow the light to be easily positioned so as to avoid any ship structure.

Attachment:
twelve inch searchlight.JPG
twelve inch searchlight.JPG [ 297.31 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:02 pm 

The 9” lamps I refer to are on the the floating dry dock plans and the Gibbs model. They are mounted directly on the edge of aft corner of the inclined ladder platform on 04 level, on each side of the fore funnel, just ahead and over the midship 5” mount. They are not mounted on stanchions above railing, but directly on the edge of the deck. Because it would be hard to manipulate and point the lamp in this position, It looks to me like they were meant shine down at a fixed angle to illuminate the open deck space around the midship 5” mounts, and not be frequently manipulated to point to outboard targets.

I don’t think they lasted to the present. They are not on the Iowa now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 239  Next