The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 pm 

No doors, just open passages. I don't have any photos of the interior of those spaces, unfortunately.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:43 pm 
Tracy White wrote:
No doors, just open passages. I don't have any photos of the interior of those spaces, unfortunately.

tnx, I'll put figures in front, so there's wouldn't be visible inside :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 pm 

Ballard explores CVL-22: http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_3 ... rnia-coast

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:17 pm 

Starting on this kit again as I lost a couple of parts a few years ago. Thank you Dragoncare.com. I just got the WEM photo etch for the Indy and I am not sure what to make out of the port side deck parking plate. Is the top perforated metal like what WEM provides in their set or is it a solid flat steel plate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:26 pm 

Port & starboard overhangs and catwalks were perforated to reduce topside weight.

Attachment:
File comment: SO.... many.... holes!!!
CVL22-5086-53 Crop.jpg
CVL22-5086-53 Crop.jpg [ 51.26 KiB | Viewed 9053 times ]

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:49 am 

Thanks Traci

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:08 am 

Any time John! :big_grin:

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:10 am 

:big_grin:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:01 pm 

Four ant. on port side. They look as if they must fold over to clear flight ops. Trying to find photos showing details of the fold mech. where they are hinged into the catwalk.

Any takers on this one ?

Thank you,

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:49 am 

Hinged just under the catwalk with a counterweight. Small section of the catwalk turns with it and is replaced with another section mounted to the antenna side.

Attachments:
CVL.jpg
CVL.jpg [ 18.5 KiB | Viewed 8652 times ]

-Barbara Tuchman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:10 pm 
Tracy you are the man, thank you. I would imagine the lower part, cone, is if not solid then very close to it to act like a counter weight.

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:22 am 
OK, new questions for all :

looking on my CVL-24 Drydock plans, both boat platforms are same length. On the other plans , and other ships, the right side one is a lot shorther.
Also, the left one have one mid platform, and ledders from ship platform to this, and another ladders up to catwalk opening

On all photos that I have, CVL-24 have not this mid platform and ladders
On the other side, I have not any photo of her right boat platform

So, questions are :

Time frame is September 1944, before bomb hit and overhaul

Does The Belleau wood have this mid platform and ladders on left side?
Does the right boat platform was shorter or not??

TIA foe any help!!!
Mario

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:57 pm 

I started a build log here on CVL-23 Princeton: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=166458

Probably I'm going to try the late camo and build her waterlined. I ordered "Carrier Down" and bought the Warship Pictorial, nr. 40, but are there any magazines that feature Princeton instead of the more usual Independence footage?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 am 

Slowly this class is growing in my intrest. I do not really like the look, the look so "Ersatz" if you know what I mean. But reading reviews and now knowing that Tracy did the technical consultant work on them makes me want to get one in 350...
I just hope Tracy's phone will ring in the not too distant future and Drangon on the other end wants him to do a new Essex family...:-)

cheers
Uwe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm 

I'd be up for helping regardless of manufacturer. :thumbs_up_1:

Just as long as they work with me instead of "send us all your photos, K.. bye."

One of the things I find interesting with ships is the meshing of the need for hull efficiency with the mission "above the water." The Independence CVLs are an "interesting" design in that you have a beautiful hull form and one of the ugliest structures above the main deck ever to set sail.....

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 am 

I asked a question a while ago about the 1/700 Dragon kit of USS Belleau Wood and don't recall ever getting an answer. The kit includes an etch Island which is different to the plastic one. Can anyone tell me anything about this? The pics I've seen of the ship during WW2, look more like the plastic kit island.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 am 

I only worked with Dragon on their 1/350th kits, so I'm not as familiar with the 1/700 offerings. If you mean this kit the enclosed bridge is wrong and looks more like what was installed during her later French Service (That said, I don't know if it's accurate even for that). Most looks mostly right, so it would mainly be a fairly simple rebuild of the enclosed bridge area - all flat shapes.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
I only worked with Dragon on their 1/350th kits, so I'm not as familiar with the 1/700 offerings. If you mean this kit the enclosed bridge is wrong and looks more like what was installed during her later French Service (That said, I don't know if it's accurate even for that). Most looks mostly right, so it would mainly be a fairly simple rebuild of the enclosed bridge area - all flat shapes.

Thanks, that makes sense. There's two etch masts, so the next step is to work out which is which! I'm thinking of modelling her in early 44, as I've never modelled a ship in MS14, so I'll have to check out the radar and AA fit, although I suspect the kit is probably accurate enough in that way. Which flight deck stain would she have had in early 44?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm 

According to Alan Raven:

Quote:
... there was the introduction of a new flight deck stain for carriers called #21 Flight Deck stain which began to be employed on the ESSEX class as they came into service in 1943. This color when newly applied exactly matched that of 5-0 Ocean Gray. This new stain was also used on the flight decks of INDEPENDENCE class CVLs and CVE classes in 1943 and into 1944. About mid 1944 there was the introduction of #21 Flight Deck stain (revised). This revised stain was (when newly applied) identical to 20B deck Blue (revised) and was a near match in service with the introduction in March 1944 of glossy Sea Blue, a new camouflage color for use on carrier aircraft.

I'm on my laptop and am limited to Navsource's CVL-24 page for now. There was a fairly systemic evolution to the mast that might enable you to use other ships photos to fill in the blanks. In early 1944 she would have had what I call the "Early" mast, which featured only a single yardarm to starboard and an angled/wedge truss structure forward, sort f like a stubby construction crane. This was cut off later and a more squared off appearance left. The earlier mast is shown in this photo of CVL-25 Cowpens (larger black & white copy available here). The later mast with a double yardarm and squared off front (as well as what the covered bridge actually looked like during war time) on the same ship is available here for comparison.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
According to Alan Raven:

Quote:
... there was the introduction of a new flight deck stain for carriers called #21 Flight Deck stain which began to be employed on the ESSEX class as they came into service in 1943. This color when newly applied exactly matched that of 5-0 Ocean Gray. This new stain was also used on the flight decks of INDEPENDENCE class CVLs and CVE classes in 1943 and into 1944. About mid 1944 there was the introduction of #21 Flight Deck stain (revised). This revised stain was (when newly applied) identical to 20B deck Blue (revised) and was a near match in service with the introduction in March 1944 of glossy Sea Blue, a new camouflage color for use on carrier aircraft.

I'm on my laptop and am limited to Navsource's CVL-24 page for now. There was a fairly systemic evolution to the mast that might enable you to use other ships photos to fill in the blanks. In early 1944 she would have had what I call the "Early" mast, which featured only a single yardarm to starboard and an angled/wedge truss structure forward, sort f like a stubby construction crane. This was cut off later and a more squared off appearance left. The earlier mast is shown in this photo of CVL-25 Cowpens (larger black & white copy available here). The later mast with a double yardarm and squared off front (as well as what the covered bridge actually looked like during war time) on the same ship is available here for comparison.

Would it have been pretty much the same a Independence? I have the Classic Warship book on that, so plenty of good pics.

thanks
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next