The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:39 am 

I probably could but I should not have to do so. Trumpeter has always provided the option of building their ships either waterline or full hull. I bought the Nelson with the expectation that this kit would be no different. To find that Trumpeter had not included this option was very disappointing. To hear that they did the same with their kit of the New York makes me nervous about purchasing any more of their 1/700 kits.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:11 pm 

I did. The box makes no mention of it.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

I think that angers me the most is that, if I had wanted a Tamiya kit, I would have bought one for $11.00 at my local hobby shop instead of paying over $60.00. Then, I would have purchased a photoetch set of doors and railings, and a pack of Evergreen plastic strip for the armored bands around the hull and saved myself around $35.00. Instead, I assumed that this kit would be the same as all other Trumpeter kits before it. I paid high dollar for basically a Tamiya kit that I would never have purchased. I have written Trumpeter but have heard nothing back.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:42 pm 

Bill,

I have been searching some Chinese sites (Google translate is my friend). I'm trying to see if there are any rumors about AM hulls or a release of the kit with a full hull for a different market. Real shame all the newest Trumpeter 1/700 kits are waterline.

This might be a good time to pick up ship models I'm missing before they get re-issued as waterline only. (Hey, that's one way to get rid of old stock.) I guess the Paint manufacturers will eliminate Red paint next due to limited demand.

Nino

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 pm 

DavidP,

Yes, I am. I am trying to get the word out about this change in Trumpeter's kits.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 am 

It appears that Trumpeter had advertised a full hull option on their website. Under the heading of the HMS Nelson kit, they made a statement that the lower hull is of slide-mold technology.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:15 pm 

I am looking for some photos that clearly show the rigging for a 1945 HMS Nelson. Can’t find anything on line or in the books that I have. I think there is an accurate Nelson ‘45 rigging drawing in the AJ Press Nelson Rodney book, based on a somewhat fuzzy image posed on this forum, but the AJ Press book is not easy to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can post, email or pm me. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:53 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

We (the undernamed - all members of ModeWarships.com Forum) have been working on the scheme for HMS Rodney in 1942 recently. We may have a tweak or two here or there, but we're more or less agreed on this I think. If anything is revised I will update :)

As compared to Trumpeter's scheme:

Or this!?!?

Or black and white photographs coloured in by people quite nifty with photo editing software, but not necessarily inclined to research much. These look authoritative to the unwary. Indeed it may not be a million miles away from Rodney's end-of-war appearance using B30 in place of MS4, but not for 1942 and it is not supported by other evidence such as the Operation Pedestal colour cine film or Stephen Bone's painting:

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:37 pm 
Hello everyone.

I'm building now HMS Rodney in scale 1:200 from ukraine publisher dom bumagi. The model have shown a shell platting on both sides but only on upper part of hull.
I'm looking for shell expansion of lower (underwater) part of hull.
Maybe someone have any drawings?
thanks
best regards
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:25 am 

Modelist wrote:
Hello everyone.

I'm building now HMS Rodney in scale 1:200 from ukraine publisher dom bumagi. The model have shown a shell platting on both sides but only on upper part of hull.
I'm looking for shell expansion of lower (underwater) part of hull.
Maybe someone have any drawings?
thanks
best regards
Chris
Attachment:
NELSON SHELL EXPANSION PLAN reduced.jpg
NELSON SHELL EXPANSION PLAN reduced.jpg [ 180.75 KiB | Viewed 3500 times ]

The complete shell expansion plan of HMS Nelson is in the archives of the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. I have bought a copy of it some ten years ago, at a horrendous price admittedly. I include here a much reduced version of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:37 am 
Hello MArteen

Thank You very much for fast response. Its very nice gift for Christmas days.

Thank You very much.
Best regards

PS. I know that the prices are very high because I also bought many drawings from BundesArchive but for battleship Bismarck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:48 am 
Hello again Marteen.

Is this possible to send in better (bigger) resolution?
Thank You very much.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:36 pm 

Trumpeter's 1/350 Scale Rodney ; Nelson are still planned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:58 pm 

James, I'm considering a purchase of the 1/700th Rodney from Trumpy and just found your & your collaborators' wonderful artwork and colour callouts above!
One question: did the teak decks remain unpainted? That would be my guess.
TIA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 pm 

I'm looking at building the 70's kit that's been in my stash for nearly 40 years.

Looking over it I noticed that the two directors atop the tower which were for the 6" guns are missing a sighting arm each.
Can someone please tell me what mark these were (Circa 1928) as I'd like to source some replacements if at all possible.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 am 

Depends how much of the rangefinder arms appears to be missing. As designed, the kit's parts A12, A13 (the two for'd 6" L.A.DCTs) and the two Parts B39 (the lower halves of the after ones), plus Parts B31 and B32 are all correctly asymmetric. The rangefinders were mounted off-centre in the structure of the DCTs to reduce the swept arc on the inboard side, so that the DCTs could be mounted closer together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:41 am 

--

Last edited by EJFoeth on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:14 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
Depends how much of the rangefinder arms appears to be missing. As designed, the kit's parts A12, A13 (the two for'd 6" L.A.DCTs) and the two Parts B39 (the lower halves of the after ones), plus Parts B31 and B32 are all correctly asymmetric. The rangefinders were mounted off-centre in the structure of the DCTs to reduce the swept arc on the inboard side, so that the DCTs could be mounted closer together.

As you are looking at them the A12 left arm, A13, right arm, both back to the body.

Would these suffice?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AQB7C ... arketplace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:40 am 

The 6" LA.DCTs' rangefinders were very assymetric - the inboard arm barely protruded beyond the side of the DCT's structure. See https://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/419/224/large_000000.jpg (where the DCTs are trained aft, so that what should be the inboard side is outboard) and https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205136471 (where the port DCT is trained for'd, and the starboard one is trained to starboard). Also note that the hood on top of the DCT is assymetric, set off in the direction of the longer rangefinder arm. The model parts shown at http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/pe ... age-09.htm give a rendition of the LA.DCTs (right-hand side, halfway down - ignore the HA.DCTs on the left, which (a) are the wrong mark for RODNEY and (b) show the aerials facing backwards!).

The Shapeways Mk IV HA.DCT to which you link is the wrong mark for RODNEY's fit - later in her career, she was fitted with a Mk I HA.DCT. The Mk IV HA.DCT looks nothing like the 6" LA.DCT.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:58 am 

Took a photo, it's a bit blurry but you can make out the arms.

Attachments:
Gun Directors.jpg
Gun Directors.jpg [ 21.67 KiB | Viewed 5452 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next