The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:46 pm 

Modelium, new to the 1:700 scale market, is a Japanese company that has heretofore specialized in 1/35 scale cosplay and JGSDF infantry figures and accessories. They have recently released a JMSDF 260t modern harbor tug, with additional releases announced of a modern ship fenders set as well as a JMSDF 200t lighter set. These kits would easily accessorize any modern harbor diorama.

The YT58 is lead ship of her class, with ample photographic documentation of most individual vessels available online, such as at this site: http://www.vspg.net/jmsdf/yt58-260t.html. There seems to be little variation between vessels and they are remarkably monochromatic in color, requiring a bit of dressing up on the details: life vessel canister, smokestack, life-vests, cable reels, etc.

Each kit contains two full builds of a tug, with decals for all ships in the class. Two large ship fenders are included as well. There is a six-step assembly sequence and construction is straightforward. The lower hull is one piece and a waterline casting. The assembly sequence makes deck, hull and detail painting relatively straightforward.

Step Two is main superstructure assembly, and the sides of the superstructure meet the upper deck in a modest joint visible on the second deck level. Mr. Surfacer 1500 addressed this issue effectively.

Placement of Part A23 in Step Five should occur before the mounting of the superstructure in Step 4, to allow parts to abut smoothly and assure property placement of the first deck. A19 mounts similarly, flush with the bow. In Step 5, the two parts of the tripod mast require attention to mount securely at the mast top and mid-points. The purpose and placement of Parts 21 are a mystery, not covered in instructions.

Construction will advance quickly until the need to add mast and superstructure details in Step 5 and 6, as well as the bumpers that encircle the hull. These bumpers require careful attention during clean-up and spares are provided. The directions provide no detailed placement instructions, but the box does diagram their placement.

The only acessory PE required for the kit would be modern railings for the second deck levels.

This Modelium kit is item #425-0077 and readily available from HLJ https://hlj.com/1-700-scale-jmsdf-260t-yt-58-class-yard-tag-boat-set-of-2-mlu02019 or HobbySearchJP:https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10575520

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 pm 

D-Boy is back! Thx for the review.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:08 am 

Dan K wrote:
D-Boy is back! Thx for the review.

Thank you, thank you... I'm here all week.

Sorry to miss MosquitoCon...

Perhaps a meal in the city...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 pm 

I have this kit, and it really is remarkable. I've never seen such small parts cast using injection molding. The fit is amazing as well.

You can't use this to build the earliest three tugboats of the class (YT58, YT62, YT64) without modification because they have different shapes at the aft end of the superstructure. Some boats have slightly different masts as well.

Not every number between 58 and 94 is used for this class tugboat. See this Wikipedia page for valid numbers. The weird thing is the kit only provides 3 decals of each number, so you can't model two boats that share a number or tugboat 66.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:46 am 

Its a nice kit but wish the instructions were better. I wondered and wondered what the little round part were for then found out they were tires. The instructions for the fenders were non existent thank goodness for Google search. Once you build a workflow for adding the tires to the tug and fenders the kit ends up very respectable looking. If I could find them cheaper and not have to import them from Japan I would order another set.

Attachments:
small tugboat.jpg
small tugboat.jpg [ 177.52 KiB | Viewed 1560 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 pm 

I found this video on YouTube of a couple of store employees building the tug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX06yMzhnkU

Report this post