The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm 

Not mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162752008208

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:36 am 

Started to build Trumpeter's Prinz E and have a question regarding the hull - these recessed areas that I've marked on the pictures, are they correct? Looking at pictures of her, I can't see them, but it's maybe just the quality of old photos that makes them invisible.

Risto

Attachments:
bow.jpg
bow.jpg [ 119.01 KiB | Viewed 8504 times ]
stern.jpg
stern.jpg [ 111.88 KiB | Viewed 8504 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:22 am 

The Recesses do show up in a few photos, however the fwd one seems about twice as deep as it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 am 

a few years ago I painted this scene depicting Prinz Eugen & Bismarck shortly after the Denmark Strait action.. apologies if it's old news but perhaps a few people here may enjoy seeing it.

Regards, Joseph

Attachments:
mwfpgrsz.jpg
mwfpgrsz.jpg [ 226.5 KiB | Viewed 8130 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:54 pm 

Hello all, I wrote a long post a couple of days ago but i guess I failed to post it correctly so I will keep this one short.
As far as we know, the proper colors of the Prinz Eugen during the channel dash (Cerberus) and just afterwards with the dark hull strips (sportpalast?)
I have read so many conflicting reports as to colors used and the various paint charts/chips are all very different from each other yet claim to be the same color.
Also in general did the german grey's tend to have a bluish hue or was it more often a straight gray?
So far I have...
light gray superstructure... hellgrau 50?
medium gray hull...dunkelgrau 51 OR mittelgrau
Dark blue gray dapple & stripes on superstructure... dunkelblaugrau OR dunkelgrau 52
And dark gray hull strips (after dash)... dunkelblaugrau OR dunkelgrau 52

a color image that you believe is closest is more than welcome.

Thank you all for your input,
Harry

I battle 1:144 combat warships, yes they shoot & yes they sink. (and yes they are back on the water in minutes). Would you like to know more?
http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/
http://www.scrapcombatships.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:11 am 

Slowly progressing with my Prinz, now I'm wondering what for these booms are? And how are they vertically controlled? In the first picture it looks like a solid rod, but that wouldn't work unless its telescopic. It also looks to be attched not to end of the boom as in pic two but closer to halfway. Any help much appreciated!

- Risto

Attachments:
Boom.jpg
Boom.jpg [ 340.61 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
boom 2.jpg
boom 2.jpg [ 161.52 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 am 

rvuorenr wrote:
Slowly progressing with my Prinz, now I'm wondering what for these booms are? And how are they vertically controlled? In the first picture it looks like a solid rod, but that wouldn't work unless its telescopic. It also looks to be attched not to end of the boom as in pic two but closer to halfway. Any help much appreciated!

- Risto

It is a protection for the external propeller. Also, the German battleships had it. They were controlled with ropes and probably a cable tensor and / or winch on deck.

The drawing is from Tirpitz, but I think that other major german warships were similar.

Attachments:
Screw proctector.png
Screw proctector.png [ 2.23 KiB | Viewed 7628 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:48 am 

mpgl62 wrote:
It is a protection for the external propeller. Also, the German battleships had it. They were controlled with ropes and probably a cable tensor and / or winch on deck.

The drawing is from Tirpitz, but I think that other major german warships were similar.

Thanks! Now that I looked at the pictures closer, it looks like the vertical control is by a rod with a swivel joint in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:52 am 

Gentlemen, I'm in a bit of a quandary-
I'm staring at both the 1/350 Prinz Eugen and the Blucher and can't decide on which one to start.

My problem is that the only dedicated PE set I can find is from WEM. For some reason, I ended up with 2 Eduard PE sets for the Prinz Eugen. They're both railings only.

I've looked at the instructions for both kits and with the exception of some cosmetic differences, they are very similar. The main differences seem to be in the superstructure. Would the Prinz Eugen PE set work on the Blucher? I don't mind getting creative here and there, I just don't want to find out the 50% of the PE set is wrong for this kit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, folks, parks closed. The moose out front should have told ya'.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am 

Hipper was Blucher’s sister ship (brother ship for DKM?) so more of of what fits Hipper would work for Blucher. PE was bigger.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 am 

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, folks, parks closed. The moose out front should have told ya'.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 am 

Considering conversion of Trumpeters 1/700 Admiral Hipper 1940 version into 1939 version. Is it enough to shorten the bow and remove couple of radars and funnel cap? Or were there more changes? I assume the bow is a straight forward chop. I really like the look of german ship before the clipper bows etc and this seems the closest I get sans Deutschland class.

Appreciate some help on this idea and if easily doable?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 am 

The stem is different, likely the sides of the foreship have less flare, perhaps the anchor positions have to be modified, the upper bridge was open.. Should be doable.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm 

maxim wrote:
The stem is different, likely the sides of the foreship have less flare, perhaps the anchor positions have to be modified, the upper bridge was open.. Should be doable.

Mhmm... Cant be impossible. once Im done with another project I might take that on as the pre-clipper bow Kriegsmarine ships look that much nicer to me for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:25 pm 
1/700 Hipper class by Trumpeter.

The Prinz Eugen has a larger hull than the Hipper. Do the Trumpeter models reflect this?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:16 am 

As far I as I know: yes. The hulls are different. As written earlier, the division of the hull is different. Prinz Eugen is depicted is fully loaded, Admiral Hipper as completely empty (which looks weird, because the waterline hull is very high out of the water). Therefore very likely also the length is different. I have only the Admiral Hipper, therefore I cannot check myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm 

DougC wrote:
1/700 Hipper class by Trumpeter.

The Prinz Eugen has a larger hull than the Hipper. Do the Trumpeter models reflect this?

Speaking on memory from when I first built them, yes the PE and Hipper are the proper sizes for each ship. PE may actually be a little long by about .5 inch IIRC.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 am 

Regarding Prinz Eugen: I recalling that some said that the hull is too long - but at the waterline. But that could be caused by the difference of the waterline at "standard" displacement and fully loaded.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm 

maxim wrote:
As far I as I know: yes. The hulls are different. As written earlier, the division of the hull is different. Prinz Eugen is depicted is fully loaded, Admiral Hipper as completely empty (which looks weird, because the waterline hull is very high out of the water). Therefore very likely also the length is different. I have only the Admiral Hipper, therefore I cannot check myself.

Full load vs light - its ok in full hull terms, so not an issue (but sucks for waterline guys because gonna need to saw down Hipper hull, here I just paint the bootopping on the upper hull).

As for backdating Hipper to 1939 from 1940, my very crude fast first research shows that I need to chop of the nose for the profile ( no need to lower the deck). See pics attached from Eric Leon, they are scaled as closely to each other as I could do on laptop, but shows fairly small difference (same anchor positions etc).

As for the flare I don't know. Probably there is SOME difference but is it enough for 1/700 scale to be worth the hassle of making changes to the deck and hull? Smth tells me this was just an addition of the bow like on Lutzow exDeutschland with minimum flare, sort of version 1.0, where there was not huge amount of new flare. And to continue this example, the Prinz Eugen and Blucher bows were similar to the bow on Admiral Scheer post refit (a full rebuilt with significantly more flare etc). Makes sense? ... How would you go about removing the stem tip and flare yourself, assuming the capstan and anchor positions remain?...

And then just remove the funnel cap and some radars and AA guns, voila a nicer looking (IMHO) cruiser with beautiful straight stem. :)

Attachments:
File comment: overlay
01_hipper_january_39diffotarboard_big.jpg
01_hipper_january_39diffotarboard_big.jpg [ 243.38 KiB | Viewed 6354 times ]
File comment: original
01_hipper_january_3900_starboard_big.jpg
01_hipper_january_3900_starboard_big.jpg [ 252.34 KiB | Viewed 6354 times ]
File comment: rebuilt
01_hipper_january_40_starboard_big.jpg
01_hipper_january_40_starboard_big.jpg [ 286.87 KiB | Viewed 6354 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:29 am 

can I use a trumpeter prinz eugen for a DKM Lutzow or not (I want to do it achieved as german ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next