The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:10 am 

Attachment:
Cable_xx.jpg

Attachment:
swivelpiece.jpg

Swivel piece done; a real pain to solder...one swivel piece, two three-eyed plates from stock tube (should have used etch for sure, but forgot about it in the last set) and seven studless links.

Last edited by EJFoeth on Wed May 22, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 am 

For some reason the universe decided I needed to be reminded soldering irons are hot... :Mad_6:

Attachment:
update_20190520_01.jpg

the wire got caught just as I was about to add a bead of solder and I lost grip with three blisters as a result... could've been worse! But it did cut short a chain-linking spree going at a massive 9 links per hour...

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:32 am 

Beautiful work and I'm sorry to see those blisters.
Does this chain building spree mean you will finish Hood before your retire?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:08 am 

Difficult to tell; I am very creative in finding new ways to postpone ever having to finish the model. But, the retirement age seems to be expanding faster than the universe so perhaps. :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 am 

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

'Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien' (Voltaire)
('better' is the enemy of 'good')

But great work of course! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Blister solution: keep one of these on your desk during all anchor building sessions.

Attachments:
6G4qMnG.jpg
6G4qMnG.jpg [ 110.45 KiB | Viewed 3254 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:16 am 

Attachment:
20190421_151104.jpg

Some easy and low-effort side hobbying while my blisters healed and before embarking on replacing the anchors and adding the last bit of chain...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am 

Creating the anchor, part I

Attachment:
20190610_112412.jpg

1) Cutting the outline from 0.75mm plate (holes not aligned, did not use this attempt)
2) Adding styrene tubes made on the lathe
3) Cutting the tubes to size, scribing away about 0.1mm
4) Adding a few styrene strips
5) Adding 0.3mm rod in the scribed region
6) After puttying, adding the gravity bands and the join shackles (still moveable).

Length of the anchor (without the joining shackle) is 11mm. Also, with the anchor only visible from one side I did not add the 0.3mm rod to other side... cutting corners.... :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 am 

You are certainly putting the marks high !

I am still debating with myself, what material to use for the two 12 mm Inglefield-anchors I need to make - brass, acrylic glass and/or styrene ...

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 am 

Thanks Wefalck. I have to admit I thought about your milling machine quite a lot when making the anchor shank... the small taper was quite difficult to get right. Scribing the shank was somehow easy to do! Now trying to find out how to create the rest (decently). I tried recycling them from the anchors I already have, but they were damaged during recycling attempts...

One of the old anchors has a damaged joining shackle and repairing that damage with the anchor already in place is proving more difficult than just replacing it... the soldered variant should be "invulnerable"...

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 am 

These parts are quite difficult to shape at this size, surely. One strategy I have been toying with is to build up the shapes from layers of etched parts soldered together. The final shaping then would be done with files etc. In the past I pre-tinned the parts with a (commercial) tinning solution, which makes such soldering relatively easy and does not add appreciably to the thickness.

I am not very fond of the idea to farm out the etching due to the fact that one has to fill at least an A5 sheet to make it financially worthwhile. So I have to get myself around again to the do-it-yourself method and overcome the problem of producing adequate quality masks ...

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm 

Etching might have done the trick for this particular part, until you discover the next one that could have been etched. I agree that filling an A5 does take a lot of time, and I also don't want to experiment with DIY etching... in terms of costs I doubt I'll beat the commercial etchers. Getting the masks is one of these things; normal printers are typically insufficient. Plus, I was kinda hoping I have all the parts I need etched already...

So, the usual recipe: some trial & error + refusal to give up :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
Attachment:
Cable_xx.jpg

Attachment:
swivelpiece.jpg

Swivel piece done; a real pain to solder...one swivel piece, two three-eyed plates from stock tube (should have used etch for sure, but forgot about it in the last set) and seven studless links.

Will the same 1/350 scale population you've recruited to work in your 1/350 shipyard also produce 1/350 sailors to man your ship when they are finished building her?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
Creating the anchor, part I

Attachment:
20190610_112412.jpg

1) Cutting the outline from 0.75mm plate (holes not aligned, did not use this attempt)
2) Adding styrene tubes made on the lathe
3) Cutting the tubes to size, scribing away about 0.1mm
4) Adding a few styrene strips
5) Adding 0.3mm rod in the scribed region
6) After puttying, adding the gravity bands and the join shackles (still moveable).

Length of the anchor (without the joining shackle) is 11mm. Also, with the anchor only visible from one side I did not add the 0.3mm rod to other side... cutting corners.... :cool_2:

cutting corners?! For shame!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/56MECBXNZ/1-350-rn-wasteney-smith-stockless-anchor-192cwt-x2?optionId=94293697 :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm 

The Shapeways anchor looks the part, but no printing for me (yet!).... except figures.... perhaps the next model?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:04 pm 

Attachment:
Arms_s.jpg

Anchor arms done after a nice soccer finale... The main part is a simple strip folded around another, glued while held in the calipers, and filed to shape. I used my drill press to add a 0.5mm hole and inserted a bit of Albion Alloys 0.5mm tubing (also in the shank). The tripping palms are a bit of strip and my new best friend: Magic Sculpt.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 am 

Coming along nicely - and it shows how much effort has to go into parts, if they are to be done really well :thumbs_up_1:

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 am 

Hi there folks,

wefalck wrote:
(...) It shows how much effort has to go into parts, if they are to be done really well :thumbs_up_1:

Absolutely true. This man was born with the only purpose of being the punishment for our sins in a previous life. My head aches when I see these anchors.

Keep the excellent job, and very best regards,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:07 am 

:lol_spit_1: I am just trying to improve now that there are so many excellent modelers on this forum that inspire me. :thumbs_up_1:

These anchors are tricky subjects and have their own unexpected challenges. Now I have to join them to the shanks, clear the deck of the existing parts, and count how many links I need to add to the cable....

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 am 

Between you and Willie, I'm not sure which one of you is more crazy! That chain is INSANE!! I thought I was a stickler for detail but you put me to shame. But in all honesty, I have a good excuse - I hope! My 76 year old eyeballs just aren't that good anymore. Hell, I had a hard enough time seeing your thumb, let alone those damn tiny links!! And now - building your own anchors!!!!!

You guys are NUTS! (But I love what you're doing! Totally awesome!!)

You are going to have one beautiful ship when you're done - if that ever happens!!

Larry

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next