The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm 

This build log will not be for a ship model but a build log (of sorts) of the actual model workshop - I'm converting a 22'x15' back yard shed into a modeler's workshop. Since I have moved into a smaller house with no space for building models, this shop is the next step to getting back to paring down the stash of models I want to build.

So, bear with me as this will be a sort of long term project (perhaps a year depending on cost, etc.).

Background:
We purchased this property a little over a year ago and it included a 22'x15' storage shed in the far back yard:
Attachment:
Original Shed.jpg
Original Shed.jpg [ 49.91 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]

Here was the inside:
Attachment:
Interior of Shed_1.jpg
Interior of Shed_1.jpg [ 172.3 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]

With a rotten door/frame my first task was to replace this with a new unit. We offset this with a new double door. Yes, the existing ramp is now out of line with the doors, but I hope to add a small 6'x6' covered porch eventually as a replacement:
Attachment:
New Doors resized_1.jpg
New Doors resized_1.jpg [ 137.49 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]

The next step was replacement of the corner trim boards and caulking. This was done last fall. We then moved in November 2018 and the shed was (and IS) packed with everything under the sun that didn't find a place inside the house:
Attachment:
Shed Full_1.jpg
Shed Full_1.jpg [ 149.59 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]

With quite a few other home projects in progress (and quite a few actually completed!) I had a chance yesterday to begin work inside the shed. I noticed months ago that the wall studs were not lined up with the T-111 siding and so yesterday I managed to double up on the studding where needed at the siding joints. I've got about 3/4 of them in place and will then put wide headed screws into the siding to tie them into the new studs and then caulk all the exterior seams. The roof being original (2001) does need replacing, but that will have to wait until the interior renovations are complete. The back window is also cracked and needs replacement as well as the framing ripped out and replaced with properly sized/leveled 2x4 material. I also plan to add 3 windows to the right side (facing) of the shop and all the windows will be the same size. Once I've completed doubling up of the studding the window replacement/addition may be next.

We noticed that the front 48" of the shed were a bit below level when compared with the shed floor behind. I am convinced that this is due to a stump that resides under the left side (facing) of the shed which has caused the shed's floor joist to slightly raise up. my 12" bar chain saw can't handle this, so I've got to get my contractor/realtor/friend over here with his longer bar saw to cut this at ground level. It's also causing the double door unit to not lock properly. I'm hoping that this will also take place in the next week or so.

The shed is located approx. 160' behind our house and in order to bring power to it I have an electrician coming next week with a Ditch Witch to bury #6 cable from the back of the house (I had him provide a separate exterior 60amp connection box w/disconnect last fall when he did other elec. work on the house) to somewhere midway between my small yard shed and the future workshop and then bend right and up under the shed. We will add a small sub-panel that will also provide u.g. power lines to my yard shed and a future she-shed for my wife.

I have already drawn up preliminary plans in CAD and will start work on those again (now that Bentley PowerDraft is back up and running on my PC) to bring them up to date and continuation.

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm 

Is there enough space for a bar in the corner?

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm 

BB62vet, I like your negotiating skills, you get the "modelers workshop" and she gets a She Shed.

Is the outside gonna be a dazzle scheme?

Best,

Paul

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm 

Thanks guys for the nice replies!

No bar, but down south here we have "stills" in the woods!!! :big_grin:

The dazzle will come when I can see how much "she-shed" I can buy; THAT might be a big factor!!

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:08 pm 

DavidP wrote:
Quote:
BB62vet, how hot does it get down there in the summer time as I see no roof vents on your model shop? how cold does it get in the winter time?

Well, it's still only an old shed - and they don't come with anything inside - as shown in my 2nd picture.

The Piedmont of North Carolina (just west of central N.C.) can get up into the low 100's but this summer has been generally (so far) in the upper 80's to low/mid 90's. Our winters can get down to 0° F. Last winter I think it got down in the single digits a couple times. So, we have a complete range of temps depending on the season and so forth.

I will probably need to install some form of heat/AC in the shop but I haven't decided on anything specific yet.

Late this afternoon, while it was still quite hot inside, I was able to move things around and put up the remaining studs on the left wall. This leaves a couple to go on the back wall; I need to make a run to Lowe's.

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 pm 

Are you going to run power out to it, Hank? If so, with a little insulation, you could put in a small heater and keep it quite comfortable in the winter. Summer, though, might be a bit harder. A window A/C requires a lot of juice and a long run like this would be prohibitive unless you ran 220 out there.

Anyway, that's going to make a really nice workshop for your model building. Keep us posted on how it's coming! I built a 12 x 10 shed 2 years ago, but instead of models, mine now contains the lawn mower, snow blower, edger, fertilizer, garden tools, etc.

On a quick side note Hank, check your mailbox. I PM'd you a bit ago.

Stein

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 pm 

DavidP wrote:
Quote:
was that back window already there or did you put it in as not installed correctly as per building code? all exterior walls of that shed are load bearing & as that window opening is not properly structured as in lack of header above the window & lack of studs & cripple studs on either sides of the window. insulating the walls & ceiling\roof will help keep cool in summer & warm in winter. roof vents will help to keep the shingles from cooking themselves to an pre-mature replacement.

When we bought the property last year, the back window was already there - broken and the interior window framing done by some amateur who couldn't properly measure 2x4 framing or anything else (IMHO). At this point I have no idea whether the shed was built on site in 2001 (I think it was) or trucked in and leveled, etc. One of the previous owners of the property (we're the 3rd homeowners) must have had it built or whatever. It had no power to it but had an 8' double fluorescent light fixture mtd. below the roof joists (see picture in 1st post) and a wire run down the inside front wall to nowhere. I have an identical fixture to add after relocating the one there now. The new back window will be properly reframed as will the new ones on the side wall. I do plan to wire, insulate, and so forth to make this shop useable year round.

The Steinerman wrote:
Quote:
Are you going to run power out to it, Hank? If so, with a little insulation, you could put in a small heater and keep it quite comfortable in the winter. Summer, though, might be a bit harder. A window A/C requires a lot of juice and a long run like this would be prohibitive unless you ran 220 out there.

Larry - see my original post (towards the bottom). My electrician will be out next week to run #6 u.g. wire out to it, buried of course with a Ditch Witch. We will put a small sub-panel on the left wall that will feed also my yard equipment shed and a future she-shed. The #6 wire is calculated by the electrician to be the right size for my needs and maintain the current over the long distance.

I'll check my P.M. box and see what's there.

Hank

edit - just to clarify, my realtor is also a general contractor and friend of mine and will be helping me work on this - he is a stickler for code and will make sure anything I try to attempt will be "by the book". To be honest, I wish I knew how and when this shed came into existence but I think that its history will elude me - perhaps some things are best left alone, right?

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 pm 

OK, so it's been a while since I updated this. Only a couple things have happened:

My electrician brought out the Ditch Witch and we buried 165 feet of #6 wire at the prescribed depth per code. This was done the third week in July and I've been working since that time on a new deck behind and beside our sunroom. I am in the lighting stages of that project, but felt I needed to update this build with photos and commentary, etc. :big_grin:

It was up in the 90s that day and took almost all day to dig the ditch, assemble the conduit & wire, bury, and then connect to the small shed, and add a 50 amp panel inside the "future workshop". Additionally, we wired up the garden shed you see to the right of the trench so it is "alive" as well!

The pictures are in order and the last one shows the small 50amp panel inside. Other than moving things around that space, taking things out, and putting other things back in the space, I haven't done anything else on it. That panel will supply power for the workshop as well as a dedicated 20 amp breaker for a future U.G. line to my wife's "she shed". So, that will require another visit by Ditchy Witchy but hopefully for only a short time as that shed will be much closer (but not THAT close! :heh: )
Attachment:
Resized Beginning the trench.jpg
Resized Beginning the trench.jpg [ 393.92 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Attachment:
Resized Conduit layed out for burial.jpg
Resized Conduit layed out for burial.jpg [ 177.49 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Attachment:
Resized Elec. Line Buried to Sheds_1.jpg
Resized Elec. Line Buried to Sheds_1.jpg [ 195.84 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Attachment:
Resized Elec. Connnections @ House_1.jpg
Resized Elec. Connnections @ House_1.jpg [ 184.45 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Attachment:
Resized CB Panel in Shop.jpg
Resized CB Panel in Shop.jpg [ 174.91 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Outside I've removed a portion of stump that was pressing up against the left side of the bldg. and need to remove another several inches of the trunk and that will happen next week or so. Then, I need to level the front 3-4 feet and that should enable actual work to begin inside - hopefully in Oct. or early Nov. as time permits, etc.

(Edited - corrected panel amperage)

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Last edited by BB62vet on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 pm 

DavidP wrote:
a "650 amp panel" is about 3 to 6 times what a new house is installed with & would be an industrial grade panel so do you actually mean "50" amp panel not "650" amp panel"?

I figured that was a typo, Dave. Most houses have 200 amp service and that box in the shed certainly isn't large enough to be a 200 amp box.

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am 

BB62vet wrote:
This build log will not be for a ship model but a build log (of sorts) of the actual model workshop - I'm converting a 22'x15' back yard shed into a modeler's workshop. Since I have moved into a smaller house with no space for building models, this shop is the next step to getting back to paring down the stash of models I want to build.

So, bear with me as this will be a sort of long term project (perhaps a year depending on cost, etc.).

Background:
We purchased this property a little over a year ago and it included a 22'x15' storage shed in the far back yard:

BB62vet,

What would you say to my suggestion for painting a nice measure 32 camo on the new shed?

You could make this an even better WIP. Let me know before you start so I can by stock in Tamiya and Scotch tape products.

Thanks. Real interesting "Build-log".

Nino

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:06 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

This is a nice project :)

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:47 am 

David P/Steinerman:

Sorry, I did mean 50 amp and have edited the mistake. The 650 amp panel would have allowed me to install LASER weapons systems and all sorts of neat stuff, right??? :thumbs_up_1:

SovHob,

Don't you love my abbreviations? Thanks for the nice comment - YES! I just wish I had the money & time to actually do some regular work on it, but things will happen when they do!

Nino,

I'll take your camo idea under consideration...ummm…..NOT! We have a family of deer that wander thru the back yard occasionally and I wouldn't want them to run into the shop accidentally because they didn't see it due to a camo paint job :doh_1: . I do, however, plan to repaint it once the exterior alterations are done (small front porch, side windows) which I hope will be after we get the floor leveled. It will remain Haze Gray with shaded trim.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:50 pm 

November Update:

Two things actually - First, I managed to level (at least temporarily) the front 4' of the shed with shims under the 4 front support blocks. Next week I hope to have good enough weather to re-jack the beams up and replace these soft shims with solid wood blocks that I've cut to proper height, etc. It didn't take long for the shims to start compressing under the weight of the building. These new solid wood blocks will stop that from happening.

Today I got the lights on!!! Over the last week I rewired the existing GFCI and light switch to the overhead fixture to go to the power panel and today I got everything wired to the panel thru a 15A breaker for this circuit and it works!!
Attachment:
Resized Overhead Fixture Operating_1.jpg
Resized Overhead Fixture Operating_1.jpg [ 153.59 KiB | Viewed 2951 times ]

This is also only temporary as the fixture will need to be relocated below the "attic" level at the top of the wall studs where I plan to erect a partial storage loft early next week in order to move "stuff" from the shed floor to this loft area. But, in the meantime, I will work on getting the lower level of receptacles in place, wired and tied into the panel with another 15A breaker. The loft and relocation of stuff is first in order to make room to maneuver - once I have receptacles working, I can put in some shop lights, etc. until the overhead fixture is back in place.

Small things soon add up to reaching the goal!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:13 am 

In November and early December I have done more work on the shed:

1) Realizing that the "stuff" was not going anywhere soon, I decided that a partial loft in the back of the shed would help solve some of this problem. So, with the help of another ship modeler friend of mine, we built an 8' deep loft and then my wife and I packed the loft with "stuff". Most of you are probably chuckling by now because both you and I realize that this "stuff" will never see the light of day again, nor is necessary to the well-being or improvement of our daily lives....but the Admiral says KEEP IT!!!! :doh_1: - This also necessitated the relocation of the existing 8' overhead florescent fixture which (as it turns out) was not that difficult to accomplish - about 45 minutes in total.
Attachment:
Resized Storage Loft_1.jpg
Resized Storage Loft_1.jpg [ 105.5 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]
Attachment:
Resized Loft wLighting Fixtures_1.jpg
Resized Loft wLighting Fixtures_1.jpg [ 112.68 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

2) With that accomplished, I then rearranged the remaining "stuff" (which, at this point, actually consists of most of my modeling tools, books, parts, stash, etc.) so I could continue with the receptacle wiring. I also added 3 LED lamp fixtures under the loft trusses where the back work surface will be located. I have a replacement window due to show up the 20th, so this will be completely re-framed correctly. I have since insulated the back wall and have run wiring around the right back corner where I've now come to another halt. Remaining "stuff" needs to be once again relocated in order to continue and finish with the receptacle wiring and installation of 2 new side windows (if I can find the correct size...still looking). At this time I have not yet wired the receptacles to the power panel (which includes the 3 LED lighting fixtures on a dedicated wall switch) and will only do so once this wiring is completed around the right side wall to the front of the shed.
Attachment:
Resized Receptacle Wiring in Back of Shop_1.jpg
Resized Receptacle Wiring in Back of Shop_1.jpg [ 149.12 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

Recent rains have pointed up the need to put some sort of skirting/mulch around the base of the exterior of the shed as it has splashed up and soaked the plywood flooring along the front and back corners. So, I hope to get this accomplished before the end of December and also possibly get the existing ramp removed and a new front porch deck built. The porch will also be skirted and mulch applied around its base. I'm currently investigating economical (but decent looking) skirting that's available.

So, that brings us up to date.

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am 

This is so cool! It's coming along nicely.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:42 am 

Martin,

Thanks for the kind support!!! Wish it could move faster, but we're also trying to get the old house sold and that's job #1 right now. Step by step but all steps positive and we'll reach the goal eventually!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:13 pm 

OK, so today was a "work in the yard day" with several small projects to either finish up or continue with as it was cloudy, dry, and in the upper 40s. Once done, I turned my attention to the exterior of the shed - I've had a seepage problem around the door frame and one corner of the interior floor; more than likely caused by rain water splashing up against the exterior joints between the bottom frame & siding. As this is an o-l-d shed, it's been occurring well before we bought this property. So, my realtor/contractor suggested that I replaced the old nasty latticework that I had removed with new plastic material and then mulch along the round and bottom edge of the lattice. This way the rain water won't bounce off the ground and splash back against the shed.

So, here is what 3 hours of work, 3 bags of mulch, and a partial sheet of 4'x8' lattice accomplished:
Attachment:
Reszied Lattice With Mulch_2.jpg
Reszied Lattice With Mulch_2.jpg [ 89.38 KiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

Note: I intentionally left space to the left of the front lattice where the new front porch deck with go (didn't want to cover that up).
Attachment:
Resized Lattice With Mulch_1.jpg
Resized Lattice With Mulch_1.jpg [ 133.42 KiB | Viewed 3646 times ]

Perhaps I may get in another trip to Lowe's either tomorrow or Monday. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so we'll see how well this procedure works...or not!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:41 pm 

After 3 quarters of the Panthers getting their butts kicked by the Colts, I went outside and began once again moving "stuff" from the right wall to other areas in order to continue with the receptacle wiring circuit and finish doubling up on a stud.

During the relocation of "stuff" I got a mental picture of how much old laminate flooring had been removed from our house during the 2018 summer renovation and I am pretty sure I have more than enough to cover the back 8'-10' of the shed from side to side. Since the back half of the bldg. will be shop area, I don't want carpeting. In the photos below, you will see a big roll of berber carpet that was also removed from the house. It's in excellent condition and will go in the front part of the bldg. with the exception of a 8'x6' rectangle at the door opening. So, once again using recycled materials rather than running up costs with new stuff and hopefully save money in the process.

Here's what today's work produced:
Attachment:
Right Side Interior_1.jpg
Right Side Interior_1.jpg [ 116.85 KiB | Viewed 3606 times ]
Attachment:
Right Side Interior_2.jpg
Right Side Interior_2.jpg [ 106.01 KiB | Viewed 3606 times ]

I'll continue with the receptacle & switch box placement and then wiring probably tomorrow afternoon. I've secured my neighbor (retired Naval Aviation E-9 Chief) and his pickup truck to make a morning supply run to Lowe's and pick up materials for the shop as well as a couple more evergreens for the back yard natural border.

I'll probably be confined by the Admiral to household chores thru Christmas....I'm sure you all understand :doh_1: :bash_2:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:27 pm 

I've been following, and enjoying, your build thread. It's a useful project, for certain.

Don't think it will float, though. :-) Hopefully, that will never be put to the test.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:46 am 

Dan,

Thanks for the kind remarks! No, it won't float and right now I've got 3 leakage issues that I think I've finally figured out how to overcome. It's a matter of lack of caulking at the corners of the door posts/threashold and one side of the roof not being properly installed years ago. So, flashing, caulking, spare shingles and some elbow grease hopefully will solve this issue.

Merry Christmas to all!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next