The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:20 pm 

I am looking for reference such as maps and pictures of the Fleet Review held at Spithead in June 1897 on the occasion of Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee. Is there anything out there apart from a simple search on the web?
Cheers!
C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 pm 

I suspect that RA Burt's British Battleships 1889-1906 has some pictures of individual ships present - my copy isn't handy but I can check it this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:22 am 

I checked my copy of the RA Burt book. There are individual photos of Collingwood, Devastation and one of the Majestic class at the 1897 Jubilee. These are individual ship photos, I didn't see any wider shots of the fleet. Friedman's Victorian battleships book has a famous painting of the Jubilee on the inside cover, for whatever that's worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:30 am 

Thanks JC_4130!
Probably, I already have most of those pictures as there is quite a lot hidden on the net, be it on ebay or obscure russian sites.
That's a good starting point for a nice project that is about to surface. I need a new camera!
C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 am 

No problem. For what it's worth, the photos in the Burt book are large, high quality, high resolution shots. Burt's book is a great reference for British pre-dreadnaughts in general. For the Royal Sovereign class through the Lord Nelson, there is a full chapter devoted to each class with many good pictures of the ships throughout their careers, including good detail shots.