The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 pm 

Taking a break from the masts....progress is going Ok, but the size is a bit of a challenge. I had to use a PE set from GMM rails (Nimitz-class set). But getting close to painting the model, is there any bottle acrylic paint that matches the Tamiya spray cans that I can use?? I just feel more confortable using my airbrush instead of buying spray can after another.

Will post masts later today.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:58 pm 

Here are the SeaRam + CIWS, I bought the SeaRam from BigBlueBoy Co., but knew that it didn't come with 'radar set' as with All CIWS, so I cut off the kits radar dome and placed it with BBB SeaRam...it came out Eeehhhh. :thinking: . But the CIWS is not my first time building those.... I use the FlyHawk #700082 PE set to roll out those tiny barrels :nod_1:

It seems that I have a Big List of Photo-Etch stuff for this ship:
1) Artist Hobby
2) Gold Medal Models
3) FlyHawk
4) Hasagawa

Is this normal to use So Many different PE for any of your kits??

Plus different accessories for the kit as well:
1) BigBlueBoy

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:03 pm 

SeaRam got cut down too much.... I'll do a better job next time.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:07 pm 

Here are a couple of images of the platforms for the mast... I decided to place doors on the mast for "personnel access" to the real ship, again, from Gold Medal Models hatches/doors, just as I did around the island.

More to come.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:19 pm 

Here is the mast.... have not glued it down let except for white glue to check placement of rails, radars, and hatches. Placed, on nav bridge rails on top of the superstructure, masts goes on a bit tight without glue, added another radar set below the original radar of second platform. So far... everything looks good! Added a few A/C for effect.

Also got the sizing of pictures down now.

Obvious holes are where smokestacks will be placed, that whole section painted flat black, so I'll paint the island then add them.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:27 pm 

Painted the FD and island using Tamiya paints as-per instructions. I also painted (which I never done before) the outline of the ship....did this by hand. Island came out well but left one sponson out (starboard side ECM gear) so as to get the starboard side nav bridge painted. Also got those smoke stacks painted, by hand, glued down the mast permanently, added the CIWS for effect.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:34 pm 

A small part of FD got missed (painted) but quite happy with results. :thumbs_up_1: The FD tiedowns look good, but dreading the idea that 'sepjic' mentioned about the Hyuga and Izumo kits with their helo deck marking "etched onto" deck.. kind like those old carrier models where the catapults and JBD are 'grooved' on the deck.

It's been a bit warm out here in Califor, but I'm going to let the paint rest before I attach the FD to the hull then finish painting the rest of the carrier... I mean Helo-Destroyer!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:28 am 

I just placed tape on the FD so to spray this weekend, after letting FD paint to dry. I was quite taxed taping and being careful as to the netting Around the FD was already glued down so as to get the same color as the hull, around the catwalks and other ladders. As you can see with the meds I needed it took quite awhile.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 am 

Here is the port side of the hull...

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:24 pm 

Okay weather in Cali was a little weird this weekend....rained Sat morning and a little in afternoon, so I did all my spray Sunday morning after coming back from working onboard USS IOWA BB-61. YES, I work on a battleship in San Pedro, doing tours for school groups and a bit of volunteer work as well!! But on to Ibuki....place A/C, weapons and a few 'yellow gear' (although it is white) on deck just for looks but painted FD, island, and hull went Very well........and blue painter tape did the trick!! :jump_1: :jump_1: :jump_1: . I just Wished that this kit had a Full hull....maybe I'll cast a hull from my Izumo-class JMSDF Kaga and fit it onto the ship.... :thinking:

Starboard side of island still needs life raft containers....will try to paint those grey, but a little lighter than rest of hull! Those vents are Really Sticking OUT!! :cool_1: :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 pm 

I really need to get a tripod (small) for camera work, will try to get one before I work on JMSDF Hyuga & Kaga ships! Red paint is really sticking Out...Looks sharp!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 pm 

Just a few more things left....what a Cool Build this turned out :thumbs_up_1: Tamiya made a GREAT Kit...detail, FD tie downs, A/C; Artist Hobby PE for Ibuki!! Will be placing FD decals, so giving FD a coat of Gloss Coat in the next couple of days, then work on A/C (mostly paint and decals)....rigging? Weathering?? Lower :eyes_spinning: :huh: Hull???!!!

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:38 pm 

Looking good - just an FYI, the longer end of the SeaRAM launcher is the firing end, so right now it's pointing towards the bridge.

Attachments:
searam firing.jpg
searam firing.jpg [ 33.05 KiB | Viewed 3198 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 am 

Timmy C wrote:
Looking good - just an FYI, the longer end of the SeaRAM launcher is the firing end, so right now it's pointing towards the bridge.

That’s sort of like Cleavon Little pointing the gun to his head in Blazing Saddles. “No one move or the ****** gets it.”
:cool_2:

“Oh”

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 pm 

YEAH!!!!! :doh_1: :doh_1: Yeah, I know.....didn't see that until I had S-glued the SeaRam to the base and painted and Then took the photo. I might have to pull that forward CRam....its just that the other CRam, back aft....the dome is too short, got mis-cut.....I have to look into it. I think that I should Keep the original weapon system that came with the kit.

Thanks TimmyC and Captain Morgan for the comments. :eyes_spinning:

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:23 pm 

I had some time to paint & decal my Ibuki A/C.... the color recomm by Tamiya is a bit darker. I sprayed, Glosscoated, & decalled, BUT what color to paint canopies?? Silver or Gold canopy?? :huh: :thinking: What do you think??

I also did the helos but here I Had to look at photos of JMSDF helos so here you go!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:25 pm 

Here are the A/C in colored canopy.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:41 pm 

Decals on the deck!! Check out the support on JBD, used the 1/700 GMM 'Nimitz-class' PE just trimmed it down for placement. Might be moving this site to the 'Finished models' side, but not sure how to do that..... Timmy C could you help me with that, also will try to put rigging, weathering (?) {most JMSDF ships are kept pretty 'clean'.....do those ships get dirty?? :thinking: }

M

Next ship--> JMSDF Hyuga & Kaga lessons learned

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 pm 

AlMost there.....well at least until I make a hull for the ship, we'll see, but this is the Tamiya 'fictional carrier' DDV-192 Ibuki an Izumi-Class DDH with a sky-ramp and many F-35B's. A Fun kit to make, and with the addition of Artist Hobby making a PE set for this kit and a little research on your part will make an Outstanding kit! On my part a little more patience with catwalks (aft) and weapons SeaRam on island, it came out quite well.

Comments on ship besides what I mentioned would be appreciated.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:02 pm 

M

Next ship --> JMSDF Hyuga & Kaga.... with a little more knowledge.

Report this post