The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:32 am 

[quote="EJFoeth"]I don't have anything on that particular boat, other than a few pics in the Allan C Green series. If you build the 42/43 version I'm not sure this one was carried, rather the more typical boats? There are a few good drawings of those.

:wave_1: Good afternoon. Well, this motor boat is also present in the 42nd .. =) ..here he is in the corner.. any information on boats, especially large ones, and their equipment will help me. And also I just can’t figure out how to paint wooden boats .... the colors on the outside and inside .. also the colors of the benches, the oars:thanks: Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Ivan

Attachments:
large_000000 (9).jpg
large_000000 (9).jpg [ 91.2 KiB | Viewed 6364 times ]

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=191026
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:48 am 

Indeed, and here it is aboard HMS Howe in July 1942. I have no info on this particular boat.

Image HMS HOWE, BRITAIN'S LATEST BATTLESHIP. GLASGOW, JULY 1942.. © IWM (A 10386) IWM Non Commercial License

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:44 am 

There are a few good drawings of those.
:woo_hoo: I also drew attention to the color photo: that there is a large wooden boat next to the boat and inside it is painted white ... so I have a bunch of questions about how these boats were painted ... I almost do not have any photographs of boats .... help please ...... thanks :worship_1:

may also come in handy in your collection : https://media.iwm.org.uk/loris/440/591/ ... ault.jpg... 45 FOOT DIESEL PICKET BOAT, AT SEA.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=191026

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:28 am 

Nice IWM links!

Lambert made a drawing:
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/ac ... ml#SID=303

I do hope the Lambert drawings of all boats & launches will be published as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:39 am 

Attachment:
1263418722.jpg

I found three instances of this image online; one on Flickr (very small) and two on photobucket. This one is a bit contracted vertically but otherwise nice in its contrast. Anyone know the source or camouflage pattern of the accompanying ship?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:33 am 

The photo appears in R A Burt British Battleships 1919-1945 (Seaforth Publishing, 2012), but without attribution, captioned at 4 February 1943. The destroyer's pendant number appears to be G98 (HMS ORWELL). She is wearing a variant of the Home Fleet Emergency Destroyer camouflage; there are several photos of ORWELL painted thus in the IWM collection (eg FL14375-78, A17597).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:03 pm 

Guy's, looking for some guidance please.

I'm planning on a build of HMS Howe 1945 while with the BPF TF57 in 1/350 so first which is the better starting point Tamiya PoW or KGV?
I've seen that Model Monkey does the aft funnel for Howe and if memory serves (not at home at the moment) I need to replace the directors, I do have the KGV book at home by V.E. Tarrant but I remember that when it comes to the last two in the class Howe and Anson then the detail in the book does seem to drop off.

In the design office -
HMS Ariadne Conversion of WEM kit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm 

Littorio wrote:
Guy's, looking for some guidance please.

I'm planning on a build of HMS Howe 1945 while with the BPF TF57 in 1/350 so first which is the better starting point Tamiya PoW or KGV?
I've seen that Model Monkey does the aft funnel for Howe and if memory serves (not at home at the moment) I need to replace the directors, I do have the KGV book at home by V.E. Tarrant but I remember that when it comes to the last two in the class Howe and Anson then the detail in the book does seem to drop off.

Hi Littorio,
All four remaining KGVs (after PoW was sunk) were updated around 1943 to have their catapults removed and a boat deck over this area constructed. The hangars got a new role as theater. This is the configuration of the KGV kit, and is therefore the basis of any KGV after this reconstruction. The PoW kit on the other hand serves for any of the KGVs before that reconstruction.
As for the details on all of the KGVs the general reference is the article by Robert Dumas in Model Warships ca 1990. This side view is in that source, but for further details I should go over the entire article piece by piece.
Anyway, you may regard Steve Larsen (Model Monkey) and EJ Foeth as the experts on this class, more than me!
Attachment:
Howe early 1945.jpg
Howe early 1945.jpg [ 149.1 KiB | Viewed 6078 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 am 

Thank you again Maarten, I'll look to pick up a KGV in that case while I do that I'll look and see if I can found that article. I think I saw somewhere that the aft deck house (?) was slightly different on all the ships of the class.

In the design office -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:27 am 

Littorio wrote:
Thank you again Maarten, I'll look to pick up a KGV in that case while I do that I'll look and see if I can found that article. I think I saw somewhere that the aft deck house (?) was slightly different on all the ships of the class.
Almost right: Howe was unique in getting an Emergency Control Station perched against the aft funnel. Model Monkey paved the way for you by providing a replacement aft funnel through Shapeways. Just buy it and glue it on :big_grin:
https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-350-hms-howe-emergency-control-station-1945

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Littorio wrote:
Almost right: Howe was unique in getting an Emergency Control Station perched against the aft funnel. Model Monkey paved the way for you by providing a replacement aft funnel through Shapeways. Just buy it and glue it on :big_grin:
https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-350-hms-howe-emergency-control-station-1945

Yes I had seen that, not new to Model-Monkey as I have his USS Portland conversion set and fillers for flota net baskets.

I'll see if I can find the drawings I have, I found them online several years ago and saved them on my tablet as I thought they may come in useful at some point, I can't remember where I found them or how reliable the source. From memory the drawing mainly shows a difference to the structure at the base of the main mast and the different AA layout around that area. I'll see if I can find the drawing then put it on Flicker and work out how to post from Flicker tomorrow.

In the design office -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:07 am 

Hope this works

https://flic.kr/p/Ynd1i8
https://flic.kr/p/Ynd1qH

Ok no idea how to post a photo from Flicker tried IMG and URL neither work.

In the design office -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 am 

Littorio wrote:
Ok no idea how to post a photo from Flicker tried IMG and URL neither work.

(In Firefox: Tools --> page info --> media --> find image & copy the URL. Good trick that often bypasses most websites' "copy protection" :heh: )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm 

Thank you for posting these up, unfortunately Firefox is no good as I'm using an iPad to post, I no longer have a computer.

In the design office -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:02 pm 

For each image on Flickr, click on the share icon (it's the arrow going up and to the right). That'll open an overlay. Click over to the BBCode tab, then select a size (I suggest 1024 wide) and just copy and paste the code they give you right here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
For each image on Flickr, click on the share icon (it's the arrow going up and to the right). That'll open an overlay. Click over to the BBCode tab, then select a size (I suggest 1024 wide) and just copy and paste the code they give you right here.

Thank you

In the design office -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:43 am 

Regarding the 45ft medium speed picket boat, you may want to visit Portmouths Boathouse No 4; I can't find a better picture that this but I noticed it hidden in the corner.

They also have a skimming dish and a typical 25ft fast motor boat:

Chatham should have one as well:

https://www.finewaterline.org/rn-ships-boats.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:57 am 

Hello!

I'm just about to add the rigging to my 1/350 KGV and realized I have no decent rigging diagram.

If there is anyone with such information, would you care to share with me?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:26 pm 

Hello everyone!

I'm going to start Flyhawk's 1/700 Prince of Wales 12/1941 kit. My intention is to display her during the refitting between May and July in drydock after the battle with the german battleships. In the past days - okay, weeks exactly - I have red this topic and try to gather as much information as I can but I'm sure I have glided over some important issues. As my job is really far from naval history or mechanics and I am newbie in warshipship modelling - due to my lack of aknowledgement I have some questions about my build.

I want to show the ship half repainted to the famous camouflage pattern, something like seen on these picture:

Questions about the painting job:

1:: Is it possible that the shipyard workers only paint the camouflage pattern over the original paint directly or did they scrap it, repaint it with some primer and then paint the new layer?

2.: How worn out could be the part of the ship below waterline? Did the fore and aft part eroded in the same way?
2.: Did they repaint the antifouling on the ship or just leave it as it was?

Questions about the damage:

I have found this two pictures present the german shell impacts.

1.: The two differs slightly (shells maked 1 and 4 in the upper drawing), does somebody know which one is more accurate?

2.: Could somebody give me a hint wether the 5.25" turret was damaged - see on the abovementioned pics - and if yes, was it removed from the ship to repair?

3.: I red that during the battle the Y tower became unusable due to ammunition trasporting machinery malfunction and also two towers struck and was not capable of being rotated, but the source did not mention which two towers struck. Do you have any information on the repairing on those malfunction? Were the turrets been dismantled? I guess not but is's just a guess.

4.: While I went over the topic I think I red somewhere that the 7 oerlikons were added after the recontuction, maybe after the Atlatnic carter. Im not sure... Could it be possibe?

They can be seen on this picure on the aft part of the deck

but I can't recognise them on this picure. Or they were covered?
For now I have these questions on my mind (sure there will be more), hope you can help me with the issues!

Áron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 am 

Hi All,

Hi Áron, well I've seen the file in the Archives that contain the very full and detailed damage report of Prince of Wales after the Denmark Strait battle.

So to help with your questions
1. The colour one is from the Hood Association website and is more accurate, however the lines denoting the path of the shells on some hits are in error.

2. The boat deck hit as it is termed went through the boat deck and into her port side 5.25 shell handling room, whizzed around, shaved the hair of the back of one of the rooms occupants head, and fell to the deck. It was dumped over the side by one of the chief petty officers and a crewman during the battle. So I know that the armour of the handling room was removed but I think the turret would have remained in place as it was not damaged.

3. Y turret jammed due to various factors regarding shells jamming in their trays as the turret turned as PoW turned away after Hood sank (although only two guns out of four were actually still working in the turret) but this was fixed about 2 hours after the battle and fired again in the subsequent action after Hood sank. On the journey back to Rosyth Y turret jammed again, but all repairs would be internal. The tower hit was the forward HACS tower (the one which has the two forward high angle directors on) which cut electrical power to the starboard high angle director, they spliced the wires at sea and they were then fully replaced in the repair plus the tower was repaired and the Type 273 was fitted.

4. The 20mm guns were shipped on board when she departed for Singapore and were fitted by an Engineering company whilst in dock at Cape Town.

If you go to the Hood Association website they have pics taken from the damage report file which show the damage. The hit at the stern is interesting as the damage report shows that the entry point was forward of the exit point, which, unless a shell can bounce backwards at a more accute angle than it entered, would suggest that hit came from ahead not astern as shown in the image. In fact according to the report the only hit that did not come from ahead was the aforementioned boat deck hit which came from just 5 degrees aft of the beam.

Hope that helps
Best wishes
Cag

Last edited by Cag on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 57  Next