The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:24 am 

Yes, usually.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 am 

thanks, you may also be able to answer another question. were the bow and stern jackstaffs removed or folded down. all photo's of Bismarck show them gone after he left Norway but looking at photo's they appear to be able to fold.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 pm 

drasticplastic wrote:
Concerning Tirpitz in Fall '43, while at Altafjord, Norway. How many colors were used in this splinter pattern camo? : https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery ... -norway-7/
I can tell from BW photos that each end of the hull was Schnellboot Weiss, but were the splinters done in only Hellgrau and a darker gray, or was there a third shade involved (maybe more Schnellboot Weiss)? Also, did the capital ships (Tirpitz and Scharnhorst, in this case) sport deck swastikas at Altafjord, or only during operations like Sizilien?
:wave_1:

For late 43 into 44, it looks like while painted in this scheme Tirpitz, only wore two colors - not counting the bow and stern - Hellgrau and Dunkelgrau.

Can't answer the question of the deck markings.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 am 

amiers wrote:
thanks, you may also be able to answer another question. were the bow and stern jackstaffs removed or folded down. all photo's of Bismarck show them gone after he left Norway but looking at photo's they appear to be able to fold.

Most likely both were removed.
Both interfered with the ship-to-ship oiling procedure and because Bismarck was the supplying ship the stern flagstaff was removed first. (The supplying ship towing the receiving ship was the standard procedure. However, it was also practised with reversed order at the end of the exercises with Prinz Eugen, because the Prinz could speed up faster.) There are a lot of pictures without flagstaff, but with jackstaff installed. The stern flagstaff wasn't necessary anyway when the ensign was flown on the main mast. Both were (re)installed for Hitler's visit for at least one day and removed again before "Rheinübung".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
For late 43 into 44, it looks like while painted in this scheme Tirpitz, only wore two colors - not counting the bow and stern - Hellgrau and Dunkelgrau.

Can't answer the question of the deck markings.

This is why I asked; even in the link you provided there is clearly 3 colors on the hull - bow and stern: Schnellboot Weiss (?); central hull: Hellgrau and Dunkelgrau splinters, with some narrow wedges of a lighter color - Schnellboot Weiss again?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:55 pm 

There were, as far as I know at least, three colours on that scheme, including the white. The other two colours were dark blue/grey and light blue/grey, both being available at least from Sovereign Colour Coats. This scheme was in place from mid '43 to March '44, but seemed to have some slight variations in this period. I found both a light colour and the dark blue/grey on the funnel in black and white photos supposedly dating from that period. There also appeared to dark grey blotches applied to the deck from between the end of Operation Sizilien in early September '43 and the mini submarine attack in late September '43, at least from photos in the Warship Pictorial #26 book. That book is still readily available and has a great selection of period black and white photos.

That same book contains very clear photos of the Swastika markings on the deck during Operation Sizilien and when laid up in fjords earlier in '43 (at least if the captioned dates are correct as there was not enough of the hull showing to determine which scheme was being carried). I wasn't able to find any confirming the markings whilst in fjords later in September. I assume the markings were painted whilst the Tirpitz was at anchor, so I guess either with or without the markings could be argued. Unfortunately most photos were taken at a shallow angle from either other ships or the shore, so it is hard to be absolutely definitive.

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:28 pm 

can any one tell me what colour the bitts and bollards were on Bismarck may 1941.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:17 pm 

Channell wrote:
I have a question about Bismarck and depth charge racks.

The kit has them (on the stern), the Pontos detail set deletes them entirely. I can't find any photo evidence for/against them. Anybody know the truth of the matter?

Interestingly, I recall seeing footage from the Cameron expedition in which what appears to be water bombs are located on the seafloor very close to the hull. I think they’re pretty close to the rudders. I could be wrong of course as I am recalling this from memory (and I had a bit too much eggnog last night).

I recall seeing photos of these devices aboard Prinz Eugen during Rheinubung. In some photos the barrels are present and others they are not. No idea if they were jettisoned before the battle, used during the battle (I have no idea why they would do that) or if they were taken below and stowed. It makes me wonder if there was some sort of standard protocol for the devices when going into an imminent surface battle. Does anyone know?

The reason I am interested in this because I got a model of the Beastie (Bismarck) for Christmas. The horror! Just kidding! As the Hood guy I know that you can’t have one without the other (Yin Yang, etc.). I intend to have a “book-end” display with Hood to one side and the Beastie on the other. I want them to be accurate, but of course, I am going to opt to leave the railing up rather than down…even though it’s more historically accurate to have the railing down during the battle, it just looks “weird” on a model (IMHO).

Last edited by FW_Allen on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:25 pm 

Stein Gildberg wrote:
This is one of the last pictures of Bismarck leaving the Grimstadfjord in Norway, on his way to meet up with Prinz Eugen for their Atlantic operation, taken in the afternoon of May 21th. 1941.
Source: Facebook Norway.

For modellers, it should be noted:
No bow anchor?
The dark? upper tip of the smoke-stack (could perhaps be glare from the sun, but compared to other photos, it seems there is a portion of oily, black deposits of burnt fuel?).
The fresh paint covering the bl/wh stripes
The shape and deptht of the false bow-wawe as well of the depth of the hull itself.
The seemingly quite low contrast between the dark bow and the rest of the hull (possible influence of photographic
work).
Etc

Interesting photo. Has it been authenticated?

Speaking of dark areas, has anyone ever figured out what the dark smudge/splotch on the starboard side of the hull (roughly abreast turm ‘Caesar’) was? I definitely see it in Grimstadfjord photos and I think I see it in Denmark Strait photos. I don’t recall seeing it at the wreck though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:19 am 

It‘s an oil splotch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:43 pm 

Herr Nilsson wrote:
It‘s an oil splotch.

Many thanks. Now to decide if I want to add it to my Denmark Strait themed model or not (I’m on the fence). Of course, if I add those smudges, then I should really reconsider the use of photoetch safety rails as well (not having them along the hull and near the main turrets as they would’ve been collapsed). I’m just concerned it would look weird having splotches and no rails hull rails.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:38 am 

Hello everybody,

in order to finish some Bismarck and Tirpitz models, I am looking for somebody that does have already realized the gratings ( water intakes ) for the Bismarck and the Tirpitz, ... hopefully with the precise drawings needed for the photo etched process.

I they are already in scale 1/100 it will be the best.

Thanks in advance, Antonio Bonomi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:51 pm 

Hi, I’m currently working on my 1/350 Revel version of the Bismarck, but I’m stuck!
Does anyone have the color scheme for the float planes, especially the underside, was it white, light grey or the light blue, and where all the planes the same?
Any help would be awesome!

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:01 pm 

WEM/Sovereign Hobbies says RLM 65 Hellblau ("light blue") for the undersides, which seems to be fairly well-accepted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:57 am 

Can somemone tell me what modification on the bismarck weren't done before her departure beise the rear SL-8?

Post subject: Quick Bismarck Question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm 

Just curious, but does anyone know the height of Bismarck's waterline bootstripe as sunk? I mean the general height of the big beastie's black/dark grey stripe (I am aware that portions of her Baltic and Rheinubung paint protruded down into the stripe). Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 am 

FW_Allen wrote:
Just curious, but does anyone know the height of Bismarck's waterline bootstripe as sunk? I mean the general height of the big beastie's black/dark grey stripe (I am aware that portions of her Baltic and Rheinubung paint protruded down into the stripe). Many thanks in advance.

The following discussion claims 2 meters wide

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209736

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
Can somemone tell me what modification on the bismarck weren't done before her departure beise the rear SL-8?

She left with a mixture of 10.5cm mounts, when she certainly was intended to have all of the newer versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:55 pm 

just some dude wrote:
FW_Allen wrote:

The following discussion claims 2 meters wide

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209736

Many thanks! I was guessing between 2 and 2.5 meters but was curious if someone knew for certain. I!ll be sure to check that out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:56 am 

Trumpeter 1/350 Bismarck brand new kit review - released and for sale
I thought it was only coming out in April 2020 , but its available here for sale NOW

The Kit details are Shown here in great detail on youtube - wonderful review of the Trumpeter Bismarck 1/350
I am certain this kit will sell well , as the Revell Bismarck is just okay , and the Tamiya Bismarck
although it fits together well shows its age now coming from 1986 -
one thing is that the Kit Hull - has hull stiffeners as shown earlier on a Chinese Facebook page I spotted
and that the Black ' Dry Dock' Trumpeter Kit Display is still being used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tjJKDw2qA

enjoy !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 61  Next